The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Steve Van Gent

Custom tail lights for 65

Been wanting to tackle this one for while. Here is Project summary;

1. Using smart LEDs and existing frame, create grid array of LEDs that fit inside OEM tail light housing
2. Wire LEDs to controller board and program to do advanced features (like scanning for turn, spread for brakes, spin for fun, etc.
3. Ensure the housing remains weather proof as possible

GOALS;

1. Adhere to local laws concerning rear facing lights (color, movement, etc)
2. Using existing wiring and controls.
3. Work off of car typical voltage dynamic range (7V - 15V DC) without harming LEDS. Why clear down to 7VDC??? What is truck is stranded on side of road for hours with hazard lights on?
4. Use automotive specific controller, not Arduino or PI, that is designed and hardened for automotive use.
5. Enable a mode, we will call it "car show" or Parade" mode where I can flip a switch and LEDs go from street legal to any color or movement I want!

So here is what I have been looking at. First, I found a clear taillight cover for our trucks. I ordered two, they are frosted clear, will work great. Second, I found LEDs on perf boards, break away style, part type WS2812. These are a smart "pixel" style led that are pre-mounted on a single PCB that come in arrays of 10 x 10 (and other arrangements). I can simply break away the LEDs I dont need, shape it to fit my taillight fixture, wire it up. These LEDs are "bucket brigade" style, meaning that they only have 1 wire for controlling and entire string. As such, after wiring ups, I should end up with 3 wires: 12v, Data, Ground.

Here are some of the risks: The LEDs are 5V part, not 12V. I will need to regulate the voltage down. I will need to find a suitable controller to drive LEDs. This controller will need to be programmable and will need to accept my existing 3 wires from truck (Left turn, Right turn, Parking) and convert them to 4 modes- brakes (both turns on), parking, Brake with left turn, brake with right turn. THe last two will be biggest challenge, as you think about this, as there is no "Brake" output on our trucks. so, for example, if I wanted a bright red brake light and a scanning yellow turn running at same time, will be somewhat difficult, even for seasoned programmer. Sure, one could run extra wire to rear from brake switch on pedal, but I think I can overcome this issue. Additionally, an Arduino Uno will not do. This must be hardened controller and deal will all the strange voltages and glitches that exist on a car wiring.

I will post more shortly;
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Steve Van Gent

Re: Custom tail lights for 65

Here are a few things to look at;

From SEMA;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFa...ature=youtu.be

Also see LED array PCB:

And OLD and NEW taillight lenses.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Other than twirling - They sell LED taillights for our trucks.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Steve Van Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Other than twirling - They sell LED taillights for our trucks.
Not like these :-)