The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Chrisb1956

New member. I am building a 1956 chevy truck short bed. Right now it has a 468 chevy eng. I just put a 9 inch ford rear end with a 4 link set up. I also had to put some step notches in. I have some newer photos that I will post soon. Trying to figure out how to do all this. I plan to put a ls engine and transmission. So I will be asking for advice from the experts here. Thanks in advance chris
Chrisb1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb1956 View Post
New member. I am building a 1956 chevy truck short bed. Right now it has a 468 chevy eng. I just put a 9 inch ford rear end with a 4 link set up. I also had to put some step notches in. I have some newer photos that I will post soon. Trying to figure out how to do all this. I plan to put a ls engine and transmission. So I will be asking for advice from the experts here. Thanks in advance chris
Its your truck, build it to your hearts content...but ....

A 468 BB is a monster...putting an LS in may actually downgrade the performance...

Why do you want to get out of the 468?

BTW...late model auto transmissions will bolt up to a BB...if its the overdrive you are looking for...

If you put in an OD unit...it better be built tough for a 468...

Just my 2 cents worth...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Chrisb1956

It is a monster, that's why I want to change. I have had fast cars all my life. I want to change it up and put a nice fuel injected engine with a cam. Put some a/c in and drive anywhere. The bbc is fun and will destroy the tires not looking to race or burn out.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
AussieinNC

As you have not indicated your level of mechanical skill...could I suggest you look at a small block engine instead of an LS...

LS conversions use up dollars really quickly with all the little pieces you need...a 350 Vortec will give you the performance you are looking for at a lower total cost.

If you are looking to sell that 468, let me know via PM...I may be interested...

Thanks...Bill
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Chrisb1956

Yes I know. I am an auto tech for quite some time. The ls shouldn't be to bad I have done a few. If you are interested in the bbc let me know. I have the ls already just waiting for the right time, and still need to get some parts
Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Chrisb1956

So I got to drive my truck today. It has been a while about 3 months. I started with the wheels then changed the rear end. That's when it took some time as I put step notches in, they are 4 inch step notches. Now I had to figure out how to raise the floor of the bed. After all I think it came out ok for doing it all myself. I have to hand it to all the fabricators they make it seem so easy any fast. I put some photos next I need to lower front about 1/2 inch
Attached Images