The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Need another pic: hooked up battery area.

All my pics before disassembly are on my mother's laptop, which is currently 300 miles away.

Photobucket won't let me post new pics and I'm lazy.

Could someone post a pic of stock (factory) wiring around the battery tray? There is a plastic piece I am not sure where it goes (wires go to and from it) and there is a ground I am not sure of where it goes.

A pic of factory wiring around the battery tray might do it. Thanks!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: Need another pic: hooked up battery area.

The picture below is of my 69 just like the factory did it. The 12 gauge red wire from the junction block on the fender and across the top of the core support is the 12V hot wire for the camper wiring harness. So, you probably don't have that. The 71s and 72s used a side post battery with the positive toward the center. I think that's the only difference.

Not sure what ground you are referring to.

Ignore the yellow goo in the fender cup. That's some anti-rust stuff the body shop put in there.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-22-2017 at 01:42 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

OK thanks, but I'll need more if you can supply it.

In your pic, this black plastic square with two wires going in and two wires going out, can you take a pic of exactly how and where it attaches to the fender?

Also, could you remove the battery and take a pic just like this one, but no battery?

Finally, (in the pic as we see it above) you appear to have a wire coming off the right side cable and it's going into that black plastic block.....I think mine goes to a connector that I think used to bolt to the fender. I don't want to do that though, I don't want to have to scrape off the paint to allow that to ground to the fender, I want to attach that to a nut on the core support where I believe another grounding wire goes.

A pic with the battery removed (#2 request) might help me big time.

*My fenders are so nicely repainted I don't want to scratch them at all, ground or no ground!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
OK thanks, but I'll need more if you can supply it.

In your pic, this black plastic square with two wires going in and two wires going out, can you take a pic of exactly how and where it attaches to the fender?

Also, could you remove the battery and take a pic just like this one, but no battery?

Finally, (in the pic as we see it above) you appear to have a wire coming off the right side cable and it's going into that black plastic block.....I think mine goes to a connector that I think used to bolt to the fender. I don't want to do that though, I don't want to have to scrape off the paint to allow that to ground to the fender, I want to attach that to a nut on the core support where I believe another grounding wire goes.

A pic with the battery removed (#2 request) might help me big time.

*My fenders are so nicely repainted I don't want to scratch them at all, ground or no ground!
The black plastic part is commonly referred to as a junction block. Below are pictures showing its location and a close-up showing the attached wires. The heavy black "wire" (actually a fusible link, see below) is the only "in" wire.

Removing the battery would only show an empty battery box, and I don't want to risk scratching anything either.

The black wire coming off the battery cable IS NOT A GROUND and, if attached to the fender, would spell disaster. The battery cable from which it originates is the positive cable. The wire is actually a fusible link which, via the junction block, provides power to almost everything.
The positive battery cable itself runs directly to the starter. The only grounded wire shown in any of these pictures is the negative battery cable.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-23-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Fender is bad news? Thank goodness! I really didn't want to scratch up my paint even for a small connection. I do appear to have a threaded hole there though and I have ochre paint on my small (possibly) ground wire.....the crappy painter in 1990 loved overspray and I just figured he had painted the wire too when he did the fender.

Your pic of the junction block has certainly helped as I was about to put it on upside down and a bit high.

You cannot remove your battery for fear of scratching your paint? How do you put in new batteries---does removing a battery normally scratch the paint? (I cannot make you move your battery for a picture, thank you for the help you have given though).

I am going to have to get some pics going and posted on here so I can get more help.

I have three ground wires that I want to hook up soon but am not sure where those go and I would rather wait and be sure than take the chance of creating a bigger problem.

I found the camera that I think can download pics to this computer. I'll get some batteries for it in the morning, join another pic site, and try and get those up on here.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-23-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

Quote:
You cannot remove your battery for fear of scratching your paint? How do you put in new batteries---does removing a battery normally scratch the paint? (I cannot make you move your battery for a picture, thank you for the help you have given though).

I have three ground wires that I want to hook up soon but am not sure where those go and I would rather wait and be sure than take the chance of creating a bigger problem.
At your service (there is always a risk of paint damage when removing anything from under the hood)...
Below is a picture with the battery out. It shows 2 ground wires from the headlight harness. One is for the headlight and the other from, I think, the side marker light. I'm not sure how the parking light is grounded and that may vary depending on model year and could be your 3rd ground. Have you tried tracing those 3 wires?

If you have gauges, I believe you should have 3 wires to the junction block. As I noted in post 2 you probably won't have the 12 gauge red wire for the camper wiring option. The 3 wires are:
- The fusible link from the positive battery cable
- The 12 gauge red that runs to the alternator and voltage regulator.
- A small black with white stripe wire with an inline fuse holder. This wire is only present if you have gauges (ammeter). Is it possible that this is what you believe to be a ground?

All wires, except the camper wire, are routed over the core support in the black plastic conduit/wire gutter.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
At your service (there is always a risk of paint damage when removing anything from under the hood)...
Below is a picture with the battery out. It shows 2 ground wires from the headlight harness. One is for the headlight and the other from, I think, the side marker light. I'm not sure how the parking light is grounded and that may vary depending on model year and could be your 3rd ground. Have you tried tracing those 3 wires?

All wires, except the camper wire, are routed over the core support in the black plastic conduit/wire gutter.

If you have gauges, I believe you should have 3 wires to the junction block. As I noted in post 2 you probably won't have the 12 gauge red wire for the camper wiring option. The 3 wires are:
- The fusible link from the positive battery cable
- The 12 gauge red that runs to the alternator and voltage regulator.
- A small black with white stripe wire with an inline fuse holder. This wire is only present if you have gauges. Is it possible that this is what you believe to be a ground?
You came through and fully redeemed yourself! THANKS A TON.

That wire that is bolted to the back of the core support was one of my "big questions." I was pretty sure it bolted there but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks a ton.

I think I can get a pic up now, I'll go take a couple of the truck and try to add those to this thread.

Thanks again for accommodating me!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
harpo231

yeah , way to help the "lazy" dude
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
He did say that in his 1st post, didn't he? Believe me, I almost punted on this one. At least he's grateful.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
harpo231

yes he did
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Your avatar looks fitting.

I think a lot of members are "lazy" since the loss of photobucket....I'm not seeing a lot of threads getting redone with new photo hosting.

I don't have a smartphone, taking and posting pics isn't so easy and I couldn't find my camera before early this morning.

This member may have "wanted to punt" or whatever but he came through and I appreciated it. Anytime some helps that person will get a "thank you" from me; when they show a declination to do more but turn around and do that anyway, they deserve praise and they'll get it from me also.

Now that I have found my camera, I will try to post up some pics, assuming this computer through its several virus attacks can still download pics from the camera.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
harpo231

Oh you want name calling , lighten up pal , was quoting you .
Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
FirstOwner69

Quote:
I think a lot of members are "lazy" since the loss of photobucket....I'm not seeing a lot of threads getting redone with new photo hosting.

I don't have a smartphone, taking and posting pics isn't so easy and I couldn't find my camera before early this morning.

Now that I have found my camera, I will try to post up some pics, assuming this computer through its several virus attacks can still download pics from the camera.
Why do so many people use photo hosting for posting pictures? I find it very easy to post them (up to 5 per post) directly from my computer using the forum's "manage attachments" feature. I usually resize my pictures or, if they are for the forum, shoot them at 1.2 MP so they load quickly.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Your avatar looks fitting.
Play nice!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Oh you want name calling , lighten up pal , was quoting you .
I took that as you being a bit of jackass.

I guess it was the "dude" that offended me. I've run into two offensive people on here so far and both times I let it slide. Not anymore.

If you were joking then we're fine and I'm sorry I took it the wrong way.

Easy to confuse and get confused on the internet, that's one reason I hate texting so much. See if I could have heard your voice tone last night I probably would have realized you were kidding but we don't have that with typed text.

*OK guys, got some pics. I HOPE THIS WORKS. It's not so easy taking and uploading pics for me.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Ugh...I already don't like Flickr.

OK, maybe this will work!

Below is a pick of the driver's side wiring. I think I have it right here except for the little guy at about 1 O'Clock. Does this connection bolt to the nut pressed into the core support? I have it pulled up into the nut with a copper wire. (I think it must go there as it seems like it wants to and has the impression of a nut on one side).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152442...posted-public/

Next is the "Junction Block." I think I have this attached to the fender correctly.

Next is the ground wire that goes to the core support behind battery tray (passenger side). Is there where this goes?

Here comes the fun. The cable with the blue tape is the positive and runs to the starter motor. It also has a wire that attaches to the Junction Block.

The pic I tried to get of my negative cable and its attached grounding wire turned out very blurry so I didn't include it. Here is a shot of where both battery cables go. Negative is attached to the engine but where does the smaller wire go? (Smaller wire is attached to the negative cable at the battery terminal end. Mine has yellow overspray on it so I assume it was near the fender from factory and when truck was painted in 1990).

In this pic the "smaller wire" from the paragraph above is looped into the cable end just to get it out of the way. Where does the "smaller wire" attach?

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-23-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Fixed it! All the pics are visible now.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
FirstOwner69

Refer to post 16 for picture links. Responses in red...
Ugh...I already don't like Flickr.

OK, maybe this will work!

Below is a pick of the driver's side wiring. I think I have it right here except for the little guy at about 1 O'Clock. Does this connection bolt to the nut pressed into the core support? I have it pulled up into the nut with a copper wire. (I think it must go there as it seems like it wants to and has the impression of a nut on one side).
Yes, that is also the same location mine uses for the driver side marker light. It would help to know what year your truck is and if it has lighted side markers or reflectors. I have seen the side markers wired a couple different ways on trucks that appeared to be unmolested.

Next is the "Junction Block." I think I have this attached to the fender correctly.
Block is attached correctly. Need to verify what the 2 wires are and if you have gauges or idiot lights. If you have gauges there should be another wire there. Refer to post 6 for wires. The factory used a 12 gauge red wire that went across to the alternator and regulator. The black wire that goes forward toward the core support may have replaced that wire, but I have no idea what the cylindrical object in the wire is or if the wire is correctly run. You need to take a hard look at this to find out what's going on there. Might be time to summon VetteVet! Perhaps you should send him a PM asking that he take a look at this thread.

Next is the ground wire that goes to the core support behind battery tray (passenger side). Is there where this goes?
Yes, if it's from the headlight. It may also be where the right side marker light is grounded (if you have lighted markers)

Here comes the fun. The cable with the blue tape is the positive and runs to the starter motor. It also has a wire that attaches to the Junction Block.
That is correct IF the wire to the junction block is a fusible link. I'm not sure how to verify that. If I were you, I'd replace both battery cables.

The pic I tried to get of my negative cable and its attached grounding wire turned out very blurry so I didn't include it. Here is a shot of where both battery cables go. Negative is attached to the engine but where does the smaller wire go? (Smaller wire is attached to the negative cable at the battery terminal end. Mine has yellow overspray on it so I assume it was near the fender from factory and when truck was painted in 1990).

In this pic the "smaller wire" from the paragraph above is looped into the cable end just to get it out of the way. Where does the "smaller wire" attach?
I've never seen a truck with original cables that had a wire off the negative terminal. It probably wouldn't harm anything to have an additional ground if you choose. It could possibly go to the location behind the battery. As mentioned above, I'd replace the cables.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-23-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
Curtb1971

X2 on replacing the cables. Also the addition small wire on the ground tells me that they aren't oem anyways. I caught a battery on fire driving down the road in my blue and white 71 because of an old + battery cable. Lost all power and it's crazy how fast a human can move when there is a fire. Thankfully the battery lug was loose and I was able to pull it off and avoid disaster.
Curtb1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
AussieinNC

Just an FYI...

Responding to a post that contains flickr link breaks the link...

None of the links in FirstOwner69's response work...

Why not just upload the pics as attachments ...just use the Manage Attachments button below on this form...

havegreatweekendeveryone

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #21
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Just an FYI...

Responding to a post that contains flickr link breaks the link...

None of the links in FirstOwner69's response work...

Why not just upload the pics as attachments ...just use the Manage Attachments button below on this form...

havegreatweekendeveryone

I also noticed the links I copied from his post don't work. However, they do in his original post... but inconvenient. Do you think I should edit my post to eliminate the non-functioning links?
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #22
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I also noticed the links I copied from his post don't work. However, they do in his original post... but inconvenient. Do you think I should edit my post to eliminate the non-functioning links?
It's your post...I would remove them...but then again...I am a grumpy old man that expects purrfection....haha

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #23
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
It's your post...I would remove them...but then again...I am a grumpy old man that expects purrfection....haha

I'll ditch the links.

I'm also a perfectionist and probably grumpier... and older! But, then there's Grumpy old man.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-23-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
In The Ten Ring

Yes, that is also the same location mine uses for the driver side marker light. It would help to know what year your truck is and if it has lighted side markers or reflectors. I have seen the side markers wired a couple different ways on trucks that appeared to be unmolested.

Truck is a 1972. Wiring should be largely original although dad did mess with it some. Mine has lighted side markers.

Block is attached correctly. Need to verify what the 2 wires are and if you have gauges or idiot lights. If you have gauges there should be another wire there. Refer to post 6 for wires. The factory used a 12 gauge red wire that went across to the alternator and regulator. The black wire that goes forward toward the core support may have replaced that wire, but I have no idea what the cylindrical object in the wire is or if the wire is correctly run. You need to take a hard look at this to find out what's going on there. Might be time to summon VetteVet! Perhaps you should send him a PM asking that he take a look at this thread.

I got that block on with your help! Thanks. Truck has idiot lights, no gauges. All lights were working when I parked her and other than taking off what was attached to sheet metal and core support, I did nothing to these wires.

Yes, if it's from the headlight. It may also be where the right side marker light is grounded (if you have lighted markers)

Let me have a look at the truck again and check on this. I have lighted side markers.

That is correct IF the wire to the junction block is a fusible link. I'm not sure how to verify that. If I were you, I'd replace both battery cables.

Ugh....I really want to replace all wiring but cost and time is becoming a factor. I will not license the truck this year and will not be driving it over winter. Can I replace those next spring and be OK?

I've never seen a truck with original cables that had a wire off the negative terminal. It probably wouldn't harm anything to have an additional ground if you choose. It could possibly go to the location behind the battery. As mentioned above, I'd replace the cables.

Oh wow, so this might be something dad put on here sometime back in the 1970's. I could ask him but I doubt he'd remember. That's good news actually....one less thing to need to worry about!

Yes guys Flickr isn't really the best but I'll try to take advice here and post via the site. I may have to ask how to do that though.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #25
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtb1971 View Post
X2 on replacing the cables. Also the addition small wire on the ground tells me that they aren't oem anyways. I caught a battery on fire driving down the road in my blue and white 71 because of an old + battery cable. Lost all power and it's crazy how fast a human can move when there is a fire. Thankfully the battery lug was loose and I was able to pull it off and avoid disaster.
Ugh...maybe I should replace these sooner rather than later. Glad you saved your truck! I plan to have a friend standing by with a two fire extinguishers when I try to start it.