The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
AussieinNC

Re: Need another pic: hooked up battery area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Yes, that is also the same location mine uses for the driver side marker light. It would help to know what year your truck is and if it has lighted side markers or reflectors. I have seen the side markers wired a couple different ways on trucks that appeared to be unmolested.

Truck is a 1972. Wiring should be largely original although dad did mess with it some. Mine has lighted side markers.

Block is attached correctly. Need to verify what the 2 wires are and if you have gauges or idiot lights. If you have gauges there should be another wire there. Refer to post 6 for wires. The factory used a 12 gauge red wire that went across to the alternator and regulator. The black wire that goes forward toward the core support may have replaced that wire, but I have no idea what the cylindrical object in the wire is or if the wire is correctly run. You need to take a hard look at this to find out what's going on there. Might be time to summon VetteVet! Perhaps you should send him a PM asking that he take a look at this thread.

I got that block on with your help! Thanks. Truck has idiot lights, no gauges. All lights were working when I parked her and other than taking off what was attached to sheet metal and core support, I did nothing to these wires.

Yes, if it's from the headlight. It may also be where the right side marker light is grounded (if you have lighted markers)

Let me have a look at the truck again and check on this. I have lighted side markers.

That is correct IF the wire to the junction block is a fusible link. I'm not sure how to verify that. If I were you, I'd replace both battery cables.

Ugh....I really want to replace all wiring but cost and time is becoming a factor. I will not license the truck this year and will not be driving it over winter. Can I replace those next spring and be OK?

I've never seen a truck with original cables that had a wire off the negative terminal. It probably wouldn't harm anything to have an additional ground if you choose. It could possibly go to the location behind the battery. As mentioned above, I'd replace the cables.

Oh wow, so this might be something dad put on here sometime back in the 1970's. I could ask him but I doubt he'd remember. That's good news actually....one less thing to need to worry about!

Yes guys Flickr isn't really the best but I'll try to take advice here and post via the site. I may have to ask how to do that though.
To post pics directly from your computer to the forum:

Have your pics stored on your computer in a folder you know the location of...something like on your desktop will work.

Make sure the pics are not too large...about 150KB seems to work best...

To post, log in to your profile on the site, either reply to a message or new thread etc...

Type your message as usual...then scroll down and find "Manage Attachments" and click it...

Navigate to your locally saved image folder and load each pic, one per "Choose File" button...a maximum of five images per message...

Click Upload and the pics will upload and appear in the "Current Uploads" window...

When done, click the Close this Window then on your original message form, click Submit Reply etc...

I am uploading a sample image to this for reference only...

Attached Images

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
FirstOwner69

To add to Aussie's post...

If your pictures are large files taken with a camera set to a high pixel count, it's easy to resize them prior to posting. To do this, I open the picture on my computer with "Paint" and click "Resize" at the top. I then adjust the horizontal pixel count to something like 700 and make sure the button that says "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is checked. I click "OK" and then select "Save" when I close Paint.

If you want to maintain the original pixel count you can make a copy to make smaller.

When I know I'm taking a picture to post, I set my camera to 1.2 mega pixels. Most of the pictures I've posted in this thread were taken at 1.2 MP.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
In The Ten Ring

Trying.
Attached Images

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #29
In The Ten Ring

Wow, that worked!

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #30
In The Ten Ring

Found the pic....had it all along.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Looks like that extra ground wire did come off the passenger side fender.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #32
68 P.O.S.

I also bought new cables for my 72 and I wondered about the small gauge wire coming off the negative cable as well. For what it's worth, I am the opposite of an expert on this, but my research on this forum, and only this forum, indicated to me that 71-72 only have the small gauge wire coming off the negative and it appears to attach to the core support headlight ground. Member/vendor RogerKoop sells some awesome looking repro cables (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...php?t=625477); the 71-72 version has the wire, while the 67-70 version does not.

With that being said, someone please correct me if I am wrong because I’d like to know the correct answer to this as well. I don’t want to add to any of the confusion and misinformation that’s already out there.

Paul

R.I.P. Tom Petty
Old 10-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #33
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
I also bought new cables for my 72 and I wondered about the small gauge wire coming off the negative cable as well. For what it's worth, I am the opposite of an expert on this, but my research on this forum, and only this forum, indicated to me that 71-72 only have the small gauge wire coming off the negative and it appears to attach to the core support headlight ground. Member/vendor RogerKoop sells some awesome looking repro cables (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...php?t=625477); the 71-72 version has the wire, while the 67-70 version does not.

With that being said, someone please correct me if I am wrong because I’d like to know the correct answer to this as well. I don’t want to add to any of the confusion and misinformation that’s already out there.

Paul

R.I.P. Tom Petty
I have that ground (to core support) and this one! My truck is a 1972 as well. (See pic links at Reply #16 of thread).

I think the grounds that go to the core support are for the turn signals or perhaps the side marker lights. This one is factory as far as I can tell. I asked the original owner (my dad) about it and he said "backup."

I'm going to put it on the new fender as it was in the pic above but like Paul here, I want more info.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #34
AussieinNC

It is my understanding that 67-70 ground battery leads do not use the integral additional ground lead. The 67-70 use a collection of ground straps between the Main ground on the engine, small ground straps between the engine and cab and engine and chassis and chassis and passenger side inner fender panel.

The radiator support (and headlamps etc) obtained its ground path via the radiator support bolted to the fender which was bolted to the inner fender...

71 and 72 improved the ground circuit design with the addition of the integral smaller ground wire that directly terminated on the radiator support.

I know on my 67 Long box, as I dismantle the front clip, there is lots of wild and woolly additional wiring been added, and yet, disconnected original ground straps, including the small one at rear of the engine, jammed under the rocker cover!...Now I know where the oil leak was coming from...

Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #35
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Looks like that extra ground wire did come off the passenger side fender.
Is this an A/C ground??? Can’t tell from the close-up pic, but when I removed my non-functioning A/C parts, there was a small ground wire that went to the passenger side fender like this. It went from the fender to somewhere on the firewall A/C box (don’t remember where tho, been too long). Does this sound right to anyone else, or is this another case of fancy PO "upgraded" wiring?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #36
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Is this an A/C ground??? Can’t tell from the close-up pic, but when I removed my non-functioning A/C parts, there was a small ground wire that went to the passenger side fender like this. It went from the fender to somewhere on the firewall A/C box (don’t remember where tho, been too long). Does this sound right to anyone else, or is this another case of fancy PO "upgraded" wiring?
My truck is non AC (no air conditioner).
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #37
AussieinNC

Quote:
On my 71 AC cab, there was a small ground strap that went from the metal frame of the fan motor over to the passenger side fender....in addition to the shorter ground from the fan plate to one of the mounting screws for the ac box itself.

it looked factory, that is not a crimped end...
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #38
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
On my 71 AC cab, there was a small ground strap that went from the metal frame of the fan motor over to the passenger side fender....in addition to the shorter ground from the fan plate to one of the mounting screws for the ac box itself.

it looked factory, that is not a crimped end...
I have a wire on my passenger side frame that I recall attached to the passenger side inner fender. Is that the "strap" you are talking about? It was rather flat and wider than a normal wire.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #39
AussieinNC

I call them straps as they are flat in profile and not insulated.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #40
In The Ten Ring

I will try and get a pic for you guys tomorrow of this ground wire from frame to inner fender.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #41
In The Ten Ring

OK, sorry no pics today.

Removed battery cables, ordered new battery clamps, cleaned off paint from the ground point behind battery tray, priced new battery cables.

Slowly, slowly.....