The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #551
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Hmm, I'm thinking CB antenna or a light of some sort for those two holes
I would agree... Just frustrating for me to fix.. lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #552
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Big brown truck delivered my Vintage Air kit. Interesting how that much $$ can be in what looks like such small boxes... lol
Going out to do more body work... oh yippiiieee
lol
Old 02-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #553
88Stanger

Pics of body work... filled in the holes with weld and now just getting straight... lol straighter... lol

Got the final piece for the March Serp. belt system in... the AC Pump. now get belts..
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #554
roll_the_dice

Looking good! It's amazing how much I think they look like engines with the belt system in place. I remember when I put mine on...I said to myself...now that looks like an engine!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #555
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looking good! It's amazing how much I think they look like engines with the belt system in place. I remember when I put mine on...I said to myself...now that looks like an engine!
So very true. I have chased many a V-Belt flying off under hard acceleration or just jumping on it... i know you can make them work, but i just prefer a good serp. belt system. This one from March was not bad, under $600.00 well actually with the covers to match, under $800.00. - Sorry about all the dust...
Old 02-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #556
88Stanger

I have been looking for a rear corner panel for behind the seats. I remember that Jason Vannatta with Vannatta Fabrication makes the ones I liked, with or without speakers. I have been buying some stuff from him before he really had the business going and not it is going great! He is really a good guy with some great fab. parts, so maybe jump over to his site and take a look at what he has.
Here are the panels.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #557
SCOTI

He does make some nice stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #558
88Stanger

question:
I am going to be running air bags. with that said, i want to place the tank and pump in the bed. So, i am trying to see if there is a way to temp. air up the bags? Maybe use like a bike tire valve or ? put air in each bag? run lines back to near the bed area and use these valves? I have no idea, any help? Ideas?
Old 02-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #559
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
question:
I am going to be running air bags. with that said, i want to place the tank and pump in the bed. So, i am trying to see if there is a way to temp. air up the bags? Maybe use like a bike tire valve or ? put air in each bag? run lines back to near the bed area and use these valves? I have no idea, any help? Ideas?
Just 'T' the lines together (front & rear). On the 3rd leg of the 'T' put a short fill line w/a schrader fill valve on it then you fill them just like you'd air up a tire.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #560
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Just 'T' the lines together (front & rear). On the 3rd leg of the 'T' put a short fill line w/a schrader fill valve on it then you fill them just like you'd air up a tire.
Thank you sir!!!! I really appreciate the help here. as simple as it seems, i just want to make sure. I have the complete bed on order now, but just want to make sure i check everything, air leaks, set up and such.
Really appreciate your time to respond.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #561
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you sir!!!! I really appreciate the help here. as simple as it seems, i just want to make sure. I have the complete bed on order now, but just want to make sure i check everything, air leaks, set up and such.
Really appreciate your time to respond.
No problem. I install my fittings into their respective parts first & then use the schrader set-up to test for leakage. I like to submerge bags & tanks under water for the testing. You only need ~25psi for the leak test.

Once you know your good there, it helps keep your scope for leak chasing to the remaining fittings. The 'T' set-up works good for adjusting the suspension during the build. I also have 'stands' built that are used under the frame rails so that if the air is purged from the system, the truck drops to 'ride height' & remains there. Mine are 4" tall @ the front cab mount; 5" @ the rears so just build the stands to the ride height designed for your application.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #562
88Stanger

Quote:
No problem. I install my fittings into their respective parts first & then use the schrader set-up to test for leakage. I like to submerge bags & tanks under water for the testing. You only need ~25psi for the leak test.

Once you know your good there, it helps keep your scope for leak chasing to the remaining fittings. The 'T' set-up works good for adjusting the suspension during the build. I also have 'stands' built that are used under the frame rails so that if the air is purged from the system, the truck drops to 'ride height' & remains there. Mine are 4" tall @ the front cab mount; 5" @ the rears so just build the stands to the ride height designed for your application.
Just got my kit i ordered that has these fittings and 20' of extra hose. So i will be installing these this weekend. I am not sure how much will get done this weekend. I have a big day coming up .... the big 50 mark is reached on the 11th, so .... lol
Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #563
SCOTI

Quote:
Just got my kit i ordered that has these fittings and 20' of extra hose. So i will be installing these this weekend. I am not sure how much will get done this weekend. I have a big day coming up .... the big 50 mark is reached on the 11th, so .... lol
Nothin to it. The 'day' comes & goes just like others. I hung out w/friends & nobody even knew (except me ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #564
88Stanger

Quote:
Nothin to it. The 'day' comes & goes just like others. I hung out w/friends & nobody even knew (except me ).
LOL, ya my friends know all about and they like to remind me about it. The young ones i tell them i am just that much closer to retire, the older, i say the same thing highlighting that i am not there yet.

May 3-7 my "Older Brother" and my very close friend are all going to vegas. Biden 100 day mark is April 30, so hopefully we are mask free!!

On the truck front, i am doing the body work on the cab so it can go to primer and final body work then to paint.... finally. I will build a spray booth in my shop with plastic drapes, filters and box fan. Never done this but 1st for everything. I was planning to do plastic on the floor, but any recommendations from anyone on the booth idea(s)?
Old 03-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #565
SCOTI

Quote:
LOL, ya my friends know all about and they like to remind me about it. The young ones i tell them i am just that much closer to retire, the older, i say the same thing highlighting that i am not there yet.

May 3-7 my "Older Brother" and my very close friend are all going to vegas. Biden 100 day mark is April 30, so hopefully we are mask free!!

On the truck front, i am doing the body work on the cab so it can go to primer and final body work then to paint.... finally. I will build a spray booth in my shop with plastic drapes, filters and box fan. Never done this but 1st for everything. I was planning to do plastic on the floor, but any recommendations from anyone on the booth idea(s)?
Plastic on the floor helps w/over-spray covering the floor (important if you don't want your floor looking multi colored like a shop floor). But, building your tent so you have the ability to rinse/wet the floor before the start of spraying helps w/dust management which is a crucial part for the DIY @ home guy that doesn't have a legit booth. Plastic might inhibit the pre-spray regimen unless it's kept taught. Pick your poison.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #566
SkinnyG

I like to lay down enough paint, that when I finish sanding out all the defects, I still have paint.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #567
cwcarpenter98

Finnegan's garage on youtube posted a video earlier this week of how they made a driveway paint booth

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #568
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I like to lay down enough paint, that when I finish sanding out all the defects, I still have paint.
sounds like a great idea... but i am shooting a matte red. might look at matte clear though.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #569
88Stanger

some updates of the truck, not much to see, just body work going on. Almost ready for primer....
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #570
88Stanger

got the block off panels for AC, not sure how i want to to them.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #571
88Stanger

Also, so i want to block out as much if not all the water going into the cowl panel, so i bought the no vent panel, not bad honestly.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #572
Paul Y

Really nice progress.

As for painting, not done a complete car (or truck) but done firewalls and the odd panel. Only tips I can give you are.

Cover everything you don’t want paint on

Sweep the floor. Wet it down and sweep it again.

Do a “dry run”. Hard to explain but practice how you are going to paint before putting any paint in the gun.

Wear the right protective equipment for the paint you are using.

Judging by the rest of the truck you will do fine.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #573
88Stanger

Update: Just got my bed sides and rest of bed stuff from LMC and Classic Industries. Damn, i have alot of work to do!! lol
Old 03-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #574
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Also, so i want to block out as much if not all the water going into the cowl panel, so i bought the no vent panel, not bad honestly.
Did the no vent panel fit well? I have been eyeing that same piece for a while. I haven't checked in for a while...great progress!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #575
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Did the no vent panel fit well? I have been eyeing that same piece for a while. I haven't checked in for a while...great progress!
Thank you sir. I was actually impressed how well it does fit so far, kinda shocked really. I was prepared to do some work to it, but so far it is a good fit. As you can see, i have no fenders or hood on... so that fitment i am unsure about, but overall i was impressed.