The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
z10kl

70 cst interior color

I’ve searched and still confused on color names. My 70 cst had been repainted red and the interior dyed black. My door panel after using thinner to remove dye seems to match what one bender calls off white. I’ve seen online pics of what appears to be the same color called sander wood and gold. My SPID and glove box door was swapped by previous owner. What’s the deal on interior color names for 70 cst?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
z10kl

Re: 70 cst interior color

I'm satisfied that the off white matches what I uncovered on the old ones. The dash pad was darker though. And what color would the carpet be?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
z10kl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
I take it you have no SPID on your glovebox door? What color is your steering column and the top metal part of your dash?

My guess is parchment but need some other clues. Parchment interior got a sandalwood dash pad, steering column, steering wheel and sandalwood carpet, unless it was with a tilt column, then the column and wheel (and possibly dash pad) were black.
Previous owner replaced glove box door with a chrome one with wood grain. Although the column was spraybombed black there is a light color paint up top under dash that they didn't paint. I think it was kinda beige. I'll look closer in the morning when I go to shop.
Non tilt. Steering wheel had been changed. I put a comfort grip on it when I bought truck 2006. Finally getting ready to paint it and correcting the cheesy interior. Starting on rust repair. Truck was originally dark gold.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
z10kl

Yea, I'm bored with the cheap red paint job with sand scratches and taped off molding with paint on the edge. Starting on rust repair and can't wait to get it back together.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by z10kl View Post
Yea, I'm bored with the cheap red paint job with sand scratches and taped off molding with paint on the edge. Starting on rust repair and can't wait to get it back together.
I'm restoring a 70 at the moment too. Original black paint truck. TONS of rust. It sucks. haha. Good luck. Hopefully you're considering bringing it back to original. Fairly rare and I think it'll look great.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
z10kl

Yea, I've debated the color for a while. I'm thinking going back to way it was born. All in all the rust is not terrible. But it's always worse than you think when you start. I have complete ownership history and the MSO on the truck. Although it doesn't have a lot of options it is a CST. I may add vintage air though. I want to drive it so I'm only going to clean up the frame and suspension. I converted it to disc fron and five lug years ago.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
jocko

Parchment wasn't an option in 70. Your seat would likely appear as Gold Vinyl Trim on the SPID if you still had one. And the dash pad, steering wheel and column (if non-tilt) would be sandalwood - this is what you're seeing under the black on your painted non-tilt column. Interestingly, Sandalwood appears in the truck data book as the only light shade "interior" color - gold does not show up - but I've never seen the word sandalwood on a SPID, seat color has always appeared as gold on the SPID in these cases, at least as far as I've ever seen. And seat trim description is what appears on SPIDs, not overall interior "color" scheme for all the soft parts.

Do you have a build sheet under your seat? This would tell you a lot about your truck if it's still there. Now, reading it would be a bit of a challenge without tearing your seat apart, but if I didn't have a SPID, I'd be snooping for the build sheet.

First two pics are a 70 Longhorn with gold vinyl custom trim - there were also gold custom cloth versions, shown in pic 3. Last is a 70 truck data book excerpt.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 05-11-2020 at 08:47 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
davischevy

This is a gold interior we took out of a 70.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
z10kl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Parchment wasn't an option in 70. Your seat would likely appear as Gold Vinyl Trim on the SPID if you still had one. And the dash pad, steering wheel and column (if non-tilt) would be sandalwood - this is what you're seeing under the black on your painted non-tilt column. Interestingly, Sandalwood appears in the truck data book as the only light shade "interior" color - gold does not show up - but I've never seen the word sandalwood on a SPID, seat color has always appeared as gold on the SPID in these cases, at least as far as I've ever seen. And seat trim description is what appears on SPIDs, not overall interior "color" scheme for all the soft parts.

Do you have a build sheet under your seat? This would tell you a lot about your truck if it's still there. Now, reading it would be a bit of a challenge without tearing your seat apart, but if I didn't have a SPID, I'd be snooping for the build sheet.

First two pics are a 70 Longhorn with gold vinyl custom trim - there were also gold custom cloth versions, shown in pic 3. Last is a 70 truck data book excerpt.
No wonder it’s so confusing. And different venders use different names for what appears to be the same color. That sandlewood does look like my dash pad color. What did they call the carpet to go with the gold/ sandlewood?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Parchment wasn't an option in 70. Your seat would likely appear as Gold Vinyl Trim on the SPID if you still had
Doh! Sorry about that. I’ve been in 72 world lately.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #11
davischevy

We replaced the gold interior with what some vendors call light saddle CST interior. We saved the gold interior, but preferred the look of the light saddle.
Attached Images

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
z10kl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
We replaced the gold interior with what some vendors call light saddle CST interior. We saved the gold interior, but preferred the look of the light saddle.
Nice looking
Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by z10kl View Post
No wonder it’s so confusing. And different venders use different names for what appears to be the same color. That sandlewood does look like my dash pad color. What did they call the carpet to go with the gold/ sandlewood?
Not sure the name of the carpet color, unless perhaps "dark sandalwood" - seems I've heard that somewhere, but, honestly, am not sure. It's worth noting that the correct carpet color is shown in the first pic I posted (in the bronze Longhorn). The white/gold 70 in Pic #3 has some sort of aftermarket/custom carpet in it, ignore that one for a carpet ref. Below are two more pics of that same Longhorn above, just in different lighting conditions. Sure wish I'd bought this thing when it was up for sale!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
davischevy

The carpet in the truck I posted is very close to the original that was with the gold interior. I think Jock is right, it may be called dark sandal wood.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #15
z10kl

Thanks guys. Your info helps.