The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #1
'63GENIII

Home robbery deterrent advise

Since the beginning of the Summer of this year, there have been a rash of robberies in the town that I live in. It started a couple of miles away but has been slowly working it's way into our neighborhood. Three houses within 200' of ours have been hit in the last week. I'm guessing it's the thieves figuring their way around the area better.

So here's the M.O. that I can put together from everything that I have heard. 1. Most of the burglaries have happened between the times of 9:00am to 2:00pm. Two during the work week and one last Saturday. 2. These guys come around knocking on doors to see if anyone is home. 3. If no one answers, they kick the front door in and do their thing. 4. Occasionally, if the front is in plain view, they work their way around to the back to see if they can kick that door in and be more discreet. 5. If the front door gets answered, they just ask for (insert random name here). 6. When told that no one by that name is there, they apologize for knocking on the wrong door and are on their way. The last guy to get hit had left for 45min to get a sandwich from the deli. It's a crap shoot whose next and there will surely be another one. It gives me anxiety to think about going to work on Monday.

Im the guy on the block who always has the garage open for the neighbors to come by and borrow a tool, chew the fat, have a beer or whatever. I cannot stand that there are people around now that have me rethinking how I live when Im in my home but that is beside the point at the moment.

My issue is that my Mother in Law lives downstairs and is in and out of the house during the day. She often cannot hear someone knocking or the doorbell. Refer to M.O. #2 & 3. This is problem #1. Now on occasion, we leave my 10 y.o. 60 lb son home by himself if we are running errands. We used to leave our 8 y.o. Daughter with him sometimes but that has stopped and I'm about to start dragging the boy with me everywhere I go as well. They do not answer the door and know to call 911 if things get sketchy but now I just don't know. This is problem #2 but equally as important to me. It just happens less often. We've got a dog and he does bark when anyone knocks so we do have that going for us although I would like to know who is knocking on my front door or coming through the back gate (Mother in Law's entrance from culdesac in back) throughout the day. This is where I am asking for advise from any professionals who may read this.

Im already looking into replacing the front and back doors (original hollow cores) with solid wood and reinforced casings. I do have a sliding glass door and 2 sliding windows in the back. I have a glazier buddy getting me some information on better sliders.

My biggest question is for any security camera gurus here. Im looking to monitor up to 8 points with security cameras that are recorded on some sort of DVR or hard drive and can also be monitored by phone. Possibly 6 outside cameras and one or two inside. Ive been an electrician for the last 27 years, have roughed in for hundreds of cameras but when it came to actually picking the system or installing it, the sound and comm guys took care of it. I am pretty familiar with the install for Power over Ethernet systems as I install them all the time where I work now. Running a wired system is not a problem if it gets a better picture. I'd like to hear opinions from anyone here who installs or even has a camera system on their home. I've been doing a lot of reading and am still having a hard time figuring out what I need and Monday is coming way too fast for me! Any advise is greatly appreciated.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Home robbery deterrent advise

I do not own any firearms, nor do I have any home security cams/alarms....I do however, have a male dobie, & a little female pit bull in the house. I feel really bad for the SOB, that walks into my house longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have crappy cameras on my house a couple of dogs and a fully loaded 9 mm I also have one of those thirsty mops they advertise to clean up the mess...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
'63GENIII

Yeah ours is a 90 lb male that has been raised alongside our kids. Well trained, not aggressive unless the raccoons are into his food in the garage. Very protective of these kids though. Hell, he even tolerates the Mother in Law pretty good. LOL. Sometimes after a long weird hour work shift, he will growl at me when I come through the door in the dark. Kinda wish he would do it before I open the door so I had a little warning but as long as he makes some noise, I feel better. I would like to know if he's having to do that during the day while we are gone though. Our family has been here since '63 and I hate to be like the new techies moving into the neighborhood with their Nests and Dropcam blah, blah, blah but I don't know what else I should do.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Leave your garage open while at work and they'll think you're home. No and sorry for joking about a serious matter. Your situation sucks. I hope to never have to deal with this.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Daddy'O

Sorry to hear about your current situation. Check out Digital Watchdog. They have everything you've mentioned. I'm using one of their DVR systems along with a Honeywell camera power supply and some Honeywell cameras. You can use DWD's complete system, I'm only saying the system is compatible with other cameras. Oh, make sure you hide the DVR and have everything powered through a battery backup system including your router/modem.

The DWD is relatively easy to setup and if you need assistance you can use their customer service or hit up one of your techie neighbors.

You could also buy a security system from one of big companies but you would have a monthly charge.

I am assuming the local PD has increased patrols given the current events. Also, have you thought about forming a neighborhood watch program?

Good luck!

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Last edited by Daddy'O; 11-28-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Teach your son how to use a firearm. Only takes one bullet in the leg to drop the pos that comes in your house so you can call 911. Security cameras will help some, but may not stop the robbery of the house as all they need are masks and hoodies to cover the face. The shop I work at has been robbed Several times...we have security cameras all over....and at 2 in the morning when its pitch black out they aren't worth a darn. Especially when you have law enforcement that sits at their desk all day eating doughnuts instead of coming out and trying to help solve the problem. I won't get started on that. They make these metal screen doors that you can put in front of the original door. I have had no experience with them but they seem heavy duty enough to where the robber would need an air cutter to get through.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
71swb4x4

In my office I have Hikvision cameras and DVN and they do a great job. That being said I think securing doors and windows should be your first step. Leaving a tv or radio on probably wouldn't hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
we have security cameras all over....and at 2 in the morning when its pitch black out they aren't worth darn.
you need to look at new cameras. Infrared cameras do a great job at night.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Daddy'O

Quote:
Teach your son how to use a firearm. Only takes one bullet in the leg to drop the pos that comes in your house so you can call 911. Security cameras will help some, but may not stop the robbery of the house as all they need are masks and hoodies to cover the face. The shop I work at has been robbed Several times...we have security cameras all over....and at 2 in the morning when its pitch black out they aren't worth a darn. Especially when you have law enforcement that sits at their desk all day eating doughnuts instead of coming out and trying to help solve the problem. I won't get started on that. They make these metal screen doors that you can put in front of the original door. I have had no experience with them but they seem heavy duty enough to where the robber would need an air cutter to get through.
Very true with older and cheaper cameras. But not so with quality IR cameras of today. I agree, hard to positively identify a masked person.

The heavy duty door screen door is a good suggestion.

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Lot of good suggestions and I would add, be pro active. Talk to your neighbors, especially the ones that come over for beer and chew the fat. Come up with a plan. Don't wait to be a victim. Don't make it easy for thieves to steal in your area. I know it sounda easy but, that's what I'd do if I had anything worth stealing.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
71swb4x4

After our attempted break in (drunk person at wrong house) earlier this fall we added deadbolts, replaced an old wood door and switched out our front storm door with a new front storm door that has unbreakable glass and a triple lock.
I install a lot od deadbolts every year (funny that we didn't have them on our house though). When we install a deadbolt we use 3" screws and tie the deadbolt plate to the studs inside the wall, we go through the door frame and into those studs. That alone makes it extremely hard to break through the door. Of course if your door has a window, someone can break the window and reach in and unlock the door.
Securing your home is a lot like securing your car. IMO your goal is to make it as difficult as you can, so that the criminals move on to the next house.

If I was a criminal the dog would be the biggest deterrent. So find someway to advertise that you have a large dog. Maybe leave an empty large water dish on the front step, or something similar.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
straps57

Dogs, dogs, dogs,...did I forget to mention dogs.
straps57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
They make these metal screen doors that you can put in front of the original door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy'O View Post
The heavy duty door screen door is a good suggestion.
Security doors -- well worth considering IMO. A few years ago we got them for our three outside doors. Just replaced the screen doors with them. You can put two locks (or one lock and one latch) on each door. We got them to keep our dogs safe -- well, maybe to keep the public safe from our dogs. At any rate, they would help keep the riffraff out, or at least slow them down and make a racket if they tried getting in.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
I have crappy cameras on my house a couple of dogs and a fully loaded 9 mm I also have one of those thirsty mops they advertise to clean up the mess...
Lol, thirsty mop. That made me laugh as I was about to pull my hair out. Definitely a necessary tension breaker. Thank you!

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
I do not own any firearms, nor do I have any home security cams/alarms....I do however, have a male dobie, & a little female pit bull in the house. I feel really bad for the SOB, that walks into my house longhorn
Be it the dog or the mother in law that gets 'em, it aint gonna be pretty! All kidding aside, just about everyone here has mentioned the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Leave your garage open while at work and they'll think you're home. No and sorry for joking about a serious matter. Your situation sucks. I hope to never have to deal with this.
Man S-K, I used to not worry about leaving it open when I left. Sometimes would go to bed with it open, lights on radio going. Just plain forgot. I think that the possibility of someone walking out into the garage was the deterrent then... accidental or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy'O View Post
Sorry to hear about your current situation. Check out Digital Watchdog. They have everything you've mentioned. I'm using one of their DVR systems along with a Honeywell camera power supply and some Honeywell cameras. You can use DWD's complete system, I'm only saying the system is compatible with other cameras. Oh, make sure you hide the DVR and have everything powered through a battery backup system including your router/modem.

The DWD is relatively easy to setup and if you need assistance you can use their customer service or hit up one of your techie neighbors.

You could also buy a security system from one of big companies but you would have a monthly charge.

I am assuming the local PD has increased patrols given the current events. Also, have you thought about forming a neighborhood watch program?

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
In my office I have Hikvision cameras and DVN and they do a great job. That being said I think securing doors and windows should be your first step. Leaving a tv or radio on probably wouldn't hurt either.

you need to look at new cameras. Infrared cameras do a great job at night.

I've been looking into the wired type by Lorex. 8 camera capable 2TB storage that can be backed up on the cloud (wherever that is) and fully smartphone connected. 600$. This will happen, just not at the moment. Just don't have the scratch for it, the doors and that darned thing called Christmas coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Lot of good suggestions and I would add, be pro active. Talk to your neighbors, especially the ones that come over for beer and chew the fat. Come up with a plan. Don't wait to be a victim. Don't make it easy for thieves to steal in your area. I know it sounda easy but, that's what I'd do if I had anything worth stealing.
We talk all the time while drinking beer and talking trash about what we'd do if we caught the SOB's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
After our attempted break in (drunk person at wrong house) earlier this fall we added deadbolts, replaced an old wood door and switched out our front storm door with a new front storm door that has unbreakable glass and a triple lock.
I install a lot od deadbolts every year (funny that we didn't have them on our house though). When we install a deadbolt we use 3" screws and tie the deadbolt plate to the studs inside the wall, we go through the door frame and into those studs. That alone makes it extremely hard to break through the door. Of course if your door has a window, someone can break the window and reach in and unlock the door.
Securing your home is a lot like securing your car. IMO your goal is to make it as difficult as you can, so that the criminals move on to the next house.

If I was a criminal the dog would be the biggest deterrent. So find someway to advertise that you have a large dog. Maybe leave an empty large water dish on the front step, or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straps57 View Post
Dogs, dogs, dogs,...did I forget to mention dogs.
The dogs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Security doors -- well worth considering IMO. A few years ago we got them for our three outside doors. Just replaced the screen doors with them. You can put two locks (or one lock and one latch) on each door. We got them to keep our dogs safe -- well, maybe to keep the public safe from our dogs. At any rate, they would help keep the riffraff out, or at least slow them down and make a racket if they tried getting in.
I owe a huge thank you to everyone who has thrown their two cents in! It's turned out to be worth it's weight in gold to me. Last night when I posted, I could barely think my way into the next step. I've got a little clearer plan today thanks to you all. I think Im gonna start small and with what I have or can afford. Tell me what you think.

Going to keep walking the dog around the neighborhood. Gives us both some extra exercise and helps me keep an eye out and even meet some more of the neighbors. Gonna put a water bowl and one of his really torn up leashes outside of the front door. Gonna keep feeding him the good stuff and keep him heathy. He's my one of the first lines of defense that I have right?

Next is the solid front and rear doors, dead bolts and long 3" screws. I like that idea. I may have to get them used from the house recycle place (Damn the new ones are pretty expensive!) but at least they won't be made of cardboard either. With any luck, I can do this before Christmas. I can only imagine how active those punks will be when they know that everyone's homes are full of loot.

I think that I may go with a wired IR camera system with a UPS on both our router and the DVR. Thats gonna be a couple of months out at this point. Im just going to have to do what is within my control right now, pay closer attention to our neighborhood, neighbors and new faces.

Oh yeah, did I mention the dog? 88 lbs of American Staffordshire. He's not a bad shop hand either!

Taking a big deep breath, slowing it down so it's not so overwhelming. Gonna start working on the front tonight. Thanks guys!
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 11-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
ERASER5

Nice doggy. No, my hand is not made of meat. Nice doggy.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
flashed

I would post a pic of that dog at each door .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
BigMike

I live in a pretty safe area but had occasional car prowlers late at night. I bought a cheapo camera/dvr setup about 9 years ago primarily to see who comes to the front door or comes in the driveway where my son's 72 Nova sat. It did okay but not reliable.

Three years ago we bought a home in the next city over so I bit the bullet and bought a better setup. It was about $449 and it's an 8 channel/8 camera DVR with really crystal clear 720p quality. I can make out a face in the daytime or at night with the night vision. I have 3 showing different views of the front driveway & yard and one on the front door. I also have one in the garage that will capture the garage door as well as the entry from the garage into the house. The other 3 cameras will eventually be aimed at the side gate & side entry and the back yard/rear door. I am disabled so it works great when I'm upstairs and a salesman is at the door, or Jehovah Witness's...I can just ignore them. But if it's USPS or UPS I can make my way to the door.

They have become a lot more user friendly since my first setup. You don't have to be a genius but it helps if you have some computer/networking knowledge. I also have the app so I can view any or all camera's on my iPhone when I'm away. I have set them up myself so I can help walk you through it if you get a system and need help.

Mine is a Night Owl 8 camera/8 channel system http://nightowlsp.com/products/compl...y-systems.html but Swann http://www.swann.com/us/dvrs-kits makes a nice system as well. I ordered mine online from Night Owl but you might be able to find a better price elsewhere. Mine is setup for motion...when one camera senses motion they all record. I have a 4tb hard drive but once it is full it starts recording back over itself again. Takes a couple months or so so if you're on vacation for a week it won't overwrite it before you can view it, if that makes sense. There are tons of settings on it so you can make it work for you.

Make sure to pay close attention to the cameras/channels of the dvr & system. Some are an 8 channel but only come with 4 cameras. The higher $$$ systems can be a 12 or 16 channel where you can add that many cameras to it. I set up a buddies house with an 8 channel system with wireless cameras and they were more of a pain than anything else. Could never get a good enough line of sight for them so the picture was always choppy & pixalated. But even though wireless, they still need a wire run to each for power. I'd stick with wired.

Hope this helps.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
GRX

1 - Put up a home security sign, even if you do not have it. Makes your home a less savory target.

2 - if a big dog is not an option - fake it. Install an electronic dog alarm. One which barks when someone knocks on the door. Grab some dog crap, preferably from a big one, and place it in your front yard.

3 - borrow a toy poodle. Those things are nasty.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Put up a home security sign, even if you do not have it. Makes your home a less savory target.
There is a local hobby garage near me that has a "under video surveillance" sign posted, the first thing I thought when I saw that sign was that they didn't have video surveillance. I know some people with those signs have cameras, but the vast majority only have the sign.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #21
GRX

^^ indeed. All sorts of dummy security cameras & signs available.

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore...y-cameras-c=28
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
1 - Put up a home security sign, even if you do not have it. Makes your home a less savory target.
My mother's old place was broken into twice, I can't afford a system so went to sleezebay and bought a dozen window security system decals. Put some on her place and mine, plant the seed that they could be caught and most will move on....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
where's that "like" button?

I have the same system except a few additions. Wife home all day, 3 dogs, .45, .380, 12's, 20's, .223's, 6.8spcII, .22's, nosy neighbors who care, and cops who know my family's dislike for illegal activity along with willingness and ability to self protect

Security cameras are designed to provide evidence, not deterrence.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Teach your son how to use a firearm. Only takes one bullet in the leg to drop the pos that comes in your house so you can call 911.
by all means, NO!!!! A wound shot is a very bad idea. It sounds mean and cruel but in a true home invasion lethality is best both immediate and long term
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Guns only work when you're home. These guys are making sure no one is before breaking in. It's not an issue if we can be there. But, it's a helpless feeling knowing this happens only when no one's home. I feel safe where I am. But, if I lived where security measures are a must, as a fail-safe, is there a way to trigger a recording from inside? First sound, the pump action, then you saying, "I suggest you turn and run right about now, you P.O.S!", with an added CLICK of the back-up piece. They'll know you mean business!

I know it's not practical, but I'd be tempted to stay home just for the chance to meet them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote