The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

P2761 Trans Code

I was riding down to a local cruise night, and popped a cell, locking me out of 4th. Finished my drive ~15min to the show, and scanned for the code. It popped P2761
Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Circuit

Cleared the code and hung out a while, then drove home ~30min normally. Mix of 35-45 local roads and ~50-65 highway. No issues driving, no code popped.

Trans is a ~98? 4l80e that I had rebuilt about 6 years ago when I started building the truck. The converter is a mystery, as miscommunication with the shop and lost paperwork meant not much to work with. Its a ~3k stall with lockup, and its purple.

*a little extra backstory. The converter had like maaaybe 200 miles on it when I took the truck for a tune. The tuner (which I didn't really know at the time) had done a few pulls unlocked, and then in an effort to get a slightly better #, locked it up fully in 3rd. Truck drove fine more or less when I got it back, and we went on a longer road trip. The truck occasionally felt like it would bounce in and out of lockup. When my partner took over the tuning, he sorted some of the issues on the trans table and made changes to the lockup so it wouldn't have that issue. I ran it like that for the last 5years.*

SO, whats the troubleshooting process here? *cough* Cline where are you *cough* I don't have any leaks, but I'll check the fluid level and condition to start. I'll take a look a the harness on the side and make sure the plugs are seated and not fluid coated. What else? I assume the thing is internal to the trans, so do I need to drop the pan?

I don't want to do damage to the trans itself if there is something serious going on. I don't really care of the converter is smoked, as long as I can DX this and get a new better one on the way ASAP>

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
solidaxel

Re: P2761 Trans Code

Good Luck Br3w, you will overcome !
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
*cough* Cline where are you *cough*
I planned on not posting to this site anymore because of a troll. But....I like you Brew!
I like a lot of you guys....John/Clyde 65, Solidaxle, Boosted C10, Mongocanfly, Hart Rod, Cableguy0, First c10 etc. etc., I shouldn't let one asshat ruin this community for me!
Enough of my whining.

Conditions for Setting the DTC P2761.......If the PCM detects a continuous open or short in the TCC PWM solenoid valve circuit or the TCC PWM solenoid valve, then DTC P2761 sets.

1. The PCM commands the TCC PWM solenoid valve to OFF, 0 percent, and the voltage input remains low, zero volts.

2. The PCM commands the TCC PWM solenoid valve to ON, 100 percent, and the voltage input remains high, B+.

It's Electrical, Not mechanical. Or should I say....A mechanical issue cannot set this code outside of a severe ATF overheat that can cause line voltage/impedance issues with the solenoids.

I would change the TCC PWM Solenoid at the very least as it is usually the cause of this code being it's intermittent.
It's located at the front of the Valve Body, Held in with a spring clip.
Yellow-Clip.
Red-TCC Solenoid

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Thanks for the reply. How tough of a change is that with the trans in? Is that like a c-clip type retainer, I'm assuming I can pop it out with a magnet or small screwdriver?

I don't have a trans temp gauge, but I didn't smell the telltale burning or harsh shifting I'd see normally if I was really low on ATF. I've got a dedicated circuit through my derale fan cooled ATF cooler, so usually trans heat isn't an issue. I will doublecheck that its working tho!

Trolls are easier to deal with here than they are over on YouTube lol. Just make Liz ban them.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

don't go anywhere Cline...you have to much valuable info for
those of us that don't...most of us know to ignore him...
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
solidaxel

Thanks Cline !

Br3w don't be intimidated, Cline is HERE to help !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Thanks for the reply. How tough of a change is that with the trans in? Is that like a c-clip type retainer, I'm assuming I can pop it out with a magnet or small screwdriver?

I don't have a trans temp gauge, but I didn't smell the telltale burning or harsh shifting I'd see normally if I was really low on ATF. I've got a dedicated circuit through my derale fan cooled ATF cooler, so usually trans heat isn't an issue. I will doublecheck that its working tho!

Trolls are easier to deal with here than they are over on YouTube lol. Just make Liz ban them.
EASY!, Remove the Pan & Filter, Unplug the Solenoid, Use a pocket screwdriver or Awl to pry out the clip, Replace the Solenoid.

Probably a good time to change the filter, I use SPX-Filtran....They are available at the dealer.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
clinebarger

It's not a bad idea to change the internal harness while your in there just to eliminate the possibility of it having an intermittent "open".

Way easier to change on a 4L80E compared to a 4L60E, The Passthrough is easily released with a 32mm or 1 1/4" 6-point deep socket, Place the socket over the passthrough, While putting pressure on the socket....Turn it at the same time.

I have great luck with Rostra made harnesses, They use genuine Delphi connectors. 2004 & up harness are different than 2003 & down because of a EPC Solenoid change.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
It's not a bad idea to change the internal harness while your in there just to eliminate the possibility of it having an intermittent "open".

Way easier to change on a 4L80E compared to a 4L60E, The Passthrough is easily released with a 32mm or 1 1/4" 6-point deep socket, Place the socket over the passthrough, While putting pressure on the socket....Turn it at the same time.

I have great luck with Rostra made harnesses, They use genuine Delphi connectors. 2004 & up harness are different than 2003 & down because of a EPC Solenoid change.
Alright, changing the unit sounds easy enough. My trans is from like 97, so I'm guessing the 03-down is the one.

I took all the external plugs out and looked at them. The wires and connectors all looked pretty good. The main circular plug had a little moisture in it, but didn't seem terrible and I couldn't see a leak. I packed them all with dielectric and put them back together. Fluid levels looked good warm, and fluid isn't dark or burnt smelling. Fan coolers were working so I don't think the trans ever got real hot. I drove it to another local cruise in ~20min 30-50mph. I did keep it in 3 around town out since I was curious if I could affect the trigger conditions of the code. I didn't set it off on either leg of the trip. I'll order the solenoid and keep an eye on it a bit until it arrives.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Hey Cline, I can't seem to find a distributor for Rostra harnesses. I think 350-0032 is the internal harness for up to 03..which I think is what I need. My trans was "completely" rebuilt when I did it liek 6 years ago, but I can't say for sure if they changed that kind of stuff. Like I said trans is like ~97...they couldn't have changed anything inside that would affect that right? Like swapping solenoids for some reason? I'm just second guessing stuff haha.

edit: there might be a local place but I can't tell if they sell to the public.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I planned on not posting to this site anymore because of a troll. But....I like you Brew!
I like a lot of you guys....John/Clyde 65, Solidaxle, Boosted C10, Mongocanfly, Hart Rod, Cableguy0, First c10 etc. etc., I shouldn't let one asshat ruin this community for me!
Enough of my whining.
Chris - I'm glad you decided to not let one or two knuckleheads prevent you from being a valued member of this board. It's unfortunate on how some people choose to act when they are hiding behind a keyboard, . Doesn't anyone believe in the golden rule anymore??? Fortunately, the "good" on our board far outweighs the "bad". KEEP POSTING and just ignore the knuckleheads!! Take care.

PS It might be time for our ADMIN to add an "Ignore Poster" button like must other boards have...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Found the part # on the solenoid if anyone else happens upon this.
The Delco # is 24210864