The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
chevy72pu

Won't start when hot!

Ok, so the rebuilt 350 runs like a top, no overheating, no leaks. All is well till I shut it off after more than 7-8 miles of driving. It will not restart until it sits for 30 mins or so. The battery turns her over fine when she is cold, but can't manage to do so when the engine is hot. Swapped the battery out of Lil' Red and the same thing happened. We put double hump heads on the 350, so I'm wondering, do I need a new stronger battery or a high torque starter? BTW it will crank with a jump start even when it is hot. I had Advance Auto Parts check it and the print out showed a 25 amp drop on the battery and the alternator is fine at idle.
Attached Images

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
72 C10 350/350 sportside bed.
68 C30 flatbed. 350 4-speed.

"I've got a good memory, it's just short!"
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
DT1

Re: Won't start when hot!

Same thing happened with mine a while back. It would crank very sluggishly. I thought the timing was just too far advanced but It was just a tired starter. I changed it out and it cranks like crazy now.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Gene

Make sure all your connections are good, I had same problem but my hot wire from battery was hanging on by only a few strands. It looked ok but when I took starter loose the wire just broke in half.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would say it is one of two things.

Gas is boiling in the carb float bowl or the starter and solenoid are suffering from heat soak. When the starter and solenoid get hot it degrades performance.

I had the starter problem so I decided to get one of the mini starters so it would have more air space around the starter. I had no more hard starting problems after that.

Usually with the gas boiling in the float bowl problem it will show up after setting and idling for a period of time and the temp rises. When you accelerate after setting at idle for a while the engine will run fine for a minute or so then start running really crappy and will not accelerate. It acts like it is starving for fuel, which it is. You can usually cure this problem by installing a 3/4 or 1" phenolic spacer under the carb.

Just a couple of things to think about.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
oldgoalie

I had a 69 c20 that did that. It was a bad battery cable. It was the pos cable. It looked good but it was coroded inside the sheathing about 10" from where it bolts to the starter. I think maybe, the heat from the exhaust. Replaced it, no more problem.
oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
cdowns

in the edelbrock carb installation instructions they warn of this problem and suggest using a phenolic carb spacer
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
in the edelbrock carb installation instructions they warn of this problem and suggest using a phenolic carb spacer
I installed one under my edelbrock Carb and it did help some, but the problem is still there.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I installed one under my edelbrock Carb and it did help some, but the problem is still there.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did the same for mine as well. I also apperently had mine air/fuel ratio too lean. I guess that makes it run a little hotter.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Won't start when hot!

Well mine is fuel injected so I know it wasn't the boiling. After swapping to the Orileays super mini starter mine has never had trouble again.

Here is the thread on the starter. Over a year now and it's never gave me a bit of trouble even after driving hours.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4151565

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
chevy72pu

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I don't think fuel is an issue, 'cause the engine runs fine once I get it started. No starving or anything. The battery cable to the starter is short and needs to be replaced with a longer one anyway, so that will be a good place to start. The starter on the truck now appears to be new or recently rebuilt so it should be good. If that doesn't fix it then I'll prolly go with the mini starter in the thread. Will keep you posted.

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600

Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
scrappy ron

i think it could only be one of 2 thinks its ether the timeing or a bad Coil when coils get hot it wont start i would check that for sure
scrappy ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
50bomb

My grandpa's 64 chevy truck does the same thing almost everytime he comes over here to my house. It happen again yesterday so it is on our driveway right now. How about the Distributor? do you think it could be the ignition rotor in there?maybe not tight enough or the lil chrome arm is not far/closed enough? No sure which one. He has a sbc350/th350. Grandpa made me laugh when he was walkin away from his truck. He said some choice words in spanish. I feel his pain. Put so much money in them and they want more attention haha.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
scrappy ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
My grandpa's 64 chevy truck does the same thing almost everytime he comes over here to my house. It happen again yesterday so it is on our driveway right now. How about the Distributor? do you think it could be the ignition rotor in there?maybe not tight enough or the lil chrome arm is not far/closed enough? No sure which one. He has a sbc350/th350. Grandpa made me laugh when he was walkin away from his truck. He said some choice words in spanish. I feel his pain. Put so much money in them and they want more attention haha.
i bet you any thing its the coil i would check it. its a vary comin proble
scrappy ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
bbadfred
bbadfred

No matter what you do find get a mini starter anyway! You will never regret it!!
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

check this thread for a mini starter that weighs just 7lbs and is $60...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=521843.....This will be the route I go next time I need tho change out the starter.....better than laying on my back trying to get that 20lb starter in place Let us know what works for ya!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
jchav62
1962 C-10

The timing may just be a little too advanced. When I first saw your pic and saw the Edelbrock carb, I was going to blame it (heat soak) but after reading your post, I realized that's not your case.

Also, like the other's said, check your positive cable from the start... and make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

Good luck... JC62
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
coop34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
check this thread for a mini starter that weighs just 7lbs and is $60...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=521843.....This will be the route I go next time I need tho change out the starter.....better than laying on my back trying to get that 20lb starter in place Let us know what works for ya!!!
I had the same problem, and switched to this mini starter. Has started up every time since. $60 to my door.
coop34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
bowtiecharlie

I had a 72 short bed that would not "crank over when hot"! You could jump the starter with a screwdriver and it would start, but not with the key!! After weeks of new parts ,battery,starter,ns switch, ground wires to the frame and fire wall ,I found that the wire that runs from the Positive batt terminal to the fender (black junction block) was shot!! I cut and soldered a new wire terminal on it and it was good as new!! You should also have one from the Negitive cable to the fender direct,with no junction block!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

good thing its not a blower engine

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
chevy72pu

The timing thing could be it. We advanced it to the limit and then backed it down a hair. I didn't mention this earlier, but it does "diesel" for a few seconds when you shut it off. I usually just ease out on the clutch to stop it. I'm not gonna change too many things at once so I can tell what corrects the problem.

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
doubleb's69

Nice looking engine bay. Is your lower radiator hose resting against your fuel line. If so that would really aid in the transfer of heat to your fuel and like LockDoc said it would boil while idleing. My truck would run fine once started as well but it would eventually just shut off with the factory cast iron intake and then I would have to let it sit and cool down to get it going again. I put a new aluminum intake on and put on a set of cross over block off intake gaskets on and it seems to be ok now.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I would say it is one of two things.

Gas is boiling in the carb float bowl or the starter and solenoid are suffering from heat soak. When the starter and solenoid get hot it degrades performance.

I had the starter problem so I decided to get one of the mini starters so it would have more air space around the starter. I had no more hard starting problems after that.

Usually with the gas boiling in the float bowl problem it will show up after setting and idling for a period of time and the temp rises. When you accelerate after setting at idle for a while the engine will run fine for a minute or so then start running really crappy and will not accelerate. It acts like it is starving for fuel, which it is. You can usually cure this problem by installing a 3/4 or 1" phenolic spacer under the carb.

Just a couple of things to think about.

LockDoc
I had the exact symptoms and it was the starter with Heat Soak problems.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72pu View Post
The timing thing could be it. We advanced it to the limit and then backed it down a hair. I didn't mention this earlier, but it does "diesel" for a few seconds when you shut it off. I usually just ease out on the clutch to stop it. I'm not gonna change too many things at once so I can tell what corrects the problem.
Before I even read this post I was going to suggest timing as a couple of others have. I had a 72 that did exactly what you describe, and it was the timing, I had advanced it too far. It would also diesel sometimes when shutting it down.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Boog
laying low

If the engine spins over fine cold but grunts when fully warmed up it's most generally the starter heat soak problem. If the engine spins over normally when cold or fully warmed up but won't start up it's generally a fuel issue.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
502ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
If the engine spins over fine cold, but grunts when fully warmed up it's most generally the starter heat soak problem.
Agreed
Posted via Mobile Device