The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Roc

Red face Measuring a steering column

Building a 70 C10 stepside and at the point I'm going to replace the steering column and steering wheel...problem is that I have no idea what length column to use...does it matter if it's a 28", 30", or 32"?? Personal preference? Or is there some difference in the year models that I don't know about?

Any general knowledge on this would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Measuring a steering column

Where are you finding columns that come in different lengths?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Roc

Jegs, summit, cj pony parts, google...I think they are all mostly universals, but I'm having a hard time stomaching a $600 bill from LMC and Brothers...
Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Oh, I see. Thanks. I learned something today. It never occurred to me somebody might put a universal steering column in one of these trucks.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Measuring a steering column

You are limited to how much room you have to play with as far inside the cab. On a stock steering column automatic the NSS is down by the fire wall so you can move it a lot but there is some room.

Just depends on the column and how it's made. I have a couple of 3 speed column out of the trucks if you want some measurements.
One is out of a 68 step I'm building and the other I'm not sure but it is a 67/72 model though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
LS short box

I did a Ididit column in my 68 C10. I'm not entirely happy with it. The stock column has a notch or hole that locates the column with the band clamp under the instrument panel. The Ididit column did not have that. Had to make my own.The Ididit column was too long overall. The stock steering shaft from the steering sector to the stock steering column is designed to compress on impact. The Ididit column listed for C10's only allows for maybe 1" of collapse? If I did it again I would still use Ididt but order a column that allows for more collapse. I like Ididit. Have used them a number of times. US made but I think they missed the mark on this one.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
Roc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
You are limited to how much room you have to play with as far inside the cab. On a stock steering column automatic the NSS is down by the fire wall so you can move it a lot but there is some room.

Just depends on the column and how it's made. I have a couple of 3 speed column out of the trucks if you want some measurements.
One is out of a 68 step I'm building and the other I'm not sure but it is a 67/72 model though.
Thanks for the info guys...Andy if you get a chance I would greatly appreciate a measurement...I'm ready to pull the trigger, I just don't like doing things twice and I hate wasting money😬
Old 01-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Measuring a steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc View Post
Thanks for the info guys...Andy if you get a chance I would greatly appreciate a measurement...I'm ready to pull the trigger, I just don't like doing things twice and I hate wasting money😬

Well it will be a while. I'm 5 hrs away and want be back for 2 weeks. Sorry. I'll try and get them then though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
dozerbill72

Length of housing is 32.5" and over all length is right at 36". Some thing to consider is alot of people have slid the column down a inch or two and installed a smaller wheel. By doing that it will move it out of your chest but closer to your lap. Just more things to confuse you, so good luck.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
OL SKOOL

Why don't you buy a factory column. There are several on the parts for sale board. Can't go wrong with oem.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote