The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
mick406

68 c10 Truck Door Issues

This is my first post, most everything I've needed I have found but I've yet to find a post that would help me with my door problem.

Some back story if you care, I couldn't get the door to align right so I just went with what I had. After having to slam the door to get it to shut the center pin of the star wheel on the door latch wore out. The door wouldn't close and had to be bungy corded for the trip home. I have another OEM latch assembly but I would like to fix the problem so I don't have to do this again.

With both door latch and striker removed my passenger door won't close more than you see in the pictures. There's no rubbing on the rocker or any other place, the door closes smoothly just the rear of the door won't align flush with the cab. The weather striping is about 3 months old. I have adjusted the door hinges all the way out, the door could move forward but I don't really want to remove the fender.
Attached Images

mick406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Re: 68 c10 Truck Door Issues

From the gap i see inthe front of the door and none in the back of the door it seems that your door will have to be moved forward. Sorry but that is the only way i see.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
DorianB

If the door is touching right now, with it poking out like that, then yeah, you will need to scoot forward a tad

On the bright side, you may only need to loosen the fender bolts enough to get the fender to move instead of removing it (and likely the bumper and inner fender)
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
hugger6933

bent door hinges. My guess the wind caught the door and pulled it around or the corner of the carport did while backing out. Both of these are common. Take a 2x4 and put between the door and the dooropening at the front so that between your door and weatherstrip is thew wood. then push on the back of the door and see if it moves. You may want to loosen the body side of the hinges and when pushing on the back of the door take notice of the gap in the hinges between the hinge and the body. That is where the shims need to go to start you back on the right track. Good luck and happy sanding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
DorianB

You can also see in the hinge picture that the bolts were pushed back at least a quarter inch from the unpainted circles that are still there.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
mick406

I'm going to try to slide the door forward as it's just labor and time evolved. I don't think the hinges are bent or the door tweaked from a strong wind. Hinges worked great on the donor truck as did the doors.

One question I do have has anyone had to add shims to the door hinge that mounts to the cab? I don't recall seeing any on the c10's I've taken apart in the past.
mick406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
DorianB

Mine didn't have shims there, but it did have a ton on the fender that it lines up with.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
schurg

were the hinges that are on the truck now from the 'donor' ? if so is the donor truck the same year as the one yer workin on? do a side-by-side with the hinges. I could be wrong (I'm dealin with a similar situation now) but I think later model trucks had thicker hinge plates, makin for a hard time fitting to earlier trucks. I have a set of 'rebuilt oem' hinges..from a 72..and they bolt up to my 68 but the door wont close, the bolts on the door hit the hinge before closure. might be similar issue with yours?
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
schurg

this is the difference between my original, and the one I got to replace it, I'm guessing it's a 71 or 2? subtle difference but it's enough to make it not work
Attached Images

schurg is offline   Reply With Quote