The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
blown86shortbed

Blower or no blower?

Hello everyone, I heav a question and am open to any ideas, comments, facts or even tell me I am nuts. I have an 86 shortbed fleetside silverado. I'm thinking of putting a 540 Bower motor in it can anyone give me any info on rather to go with or without the blower? It is a show track might see the track once or twice just to get a time slip. I will eithe rbe pushing 750+ without or 1000+ with any ideas info anything would be much appreciated. Thanks to all who read n more thanks to all those who reply.
blown86shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Blower or no blower?

Blown, in my opinion a blower is not a good idea unless the eng was built from the bottom up for a blower. The compression ratio of a blown eng is lower than non-blown. If you are just going to run it once in a while over the quarter mile, get a good nitros setup and use that as a booster, BUT, be careful of how much nitros you inject, it could have the same effect as an eng with to high comp ratio and a blower, IE, GRENADE!!! jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
allengator

Arent these trucks already hard enough to get to hook up?

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
blown86shortbed

well i am getting a brand new motown block and it is a brand new turn key im having a machine shop build for me. i guess one thing i was wondering is if back halfing n putting in a fourlink n tubbing with some big mickey thompsons would help
blown86shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote