The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #351
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Ran into a couple glitches working on my gas filler cover, the first being that as i was welding it up and ran out of gas for my Mig, so i call day, the next day i go across town and get gas, come home and finish the welding and grab my die grinder and after 5 minutes it disintegrates, it was a Harbor freight cheapo, Harbor freight is further the same direction as my welding supply place so i had to make a second trip to buy another one, which ended up being an even bigger piece of junk.. returning it today and going to Home Depot or Lowes for a better one. Was able to finish the welding and grinding of the spot welds with a different grinder, and coated it with a little bondo to smooth it out, will sand it out and paint it this weekend, I think i wanna find and buy some "Easy Grind" welding wire before i do a bunch more body welding, maybe it will speed the smoothing process up a bit?
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #352
ryanroo

i have a "nice" snap on 90* die grinder that absolutely sharted its pants a year or so back. nothing to do with maintenance, just blew the gear head apart. anyhow, since the snappy dealer has yet to call me back after i asked about replacement parts(they only offer so much time on air tool warranty), i went to the Depot and bought a husky brand. i have used it and abused it, still no complaints. and at 40 bones, i can afford to buy a few of them before i try another snap on. i have my eyes on a real bad boy IR die grinder, but until i finish my truck, i cant seem to justify the $500 plus they want for it.

as for easy grind wire, i've never used it. i use Lincoln L-56 mig wire (coincidentally Lincoln and home depot are in bed together, so you can pick it up there) and have no complaints from when i did all my body repair. Lincoln has some of the best electrodes available and i hesitate to stray from that. i would be interested in seeing the specs on the easy grind wire.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #353
swamp rat

Yea was thinking about a Chicago Pneumatic but don't know where to look for one. Looked at the Husky today and if I can't find anything better than its down to the Husky or what ever I find at Sears..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
i have a "nice" snap on 90* die grinder that absolutely sharted its pants a year or so back. nothing to do with maintenance, just blew the gear head apart. anyhow, since the snappy dealer has yet to call me back after i asked about replacement parts(they only offer so much time on air tool warranty), i went to the Depot and bought a husky brand. i have used it and abused it, still no complaints. and at 40 bones, i can afford to buy a few of them before i try another snap on. i have my eyes on a real bad boy IR die grinder, but until i finish my truck, i cant seem to justify the $500 plus they want for it.

as for easy grind wire, i've never used it. i use Lincoln L-56 mig wire (coincidentally Lincoln and home depot are in bed together, so you can pick it up there) and have no complaints from when i did all my body repair. Lincoln has some of the best electrodes available and i hesitate to stray from that. i would be interested in seeing the specs on the easy grind wire.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #354
swamp rat

Found the Chicago Pneumatic 90* Die grinder locally for $113.99, the same place also had the Mechanics brand for $79.99. the Husky was $45.99 at Home Depot, then Lowe's has a Kobalt brand also for $45.

Not sure which one to get at this point.

Didn't find any Ingersol Rand grinders anywhere.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #355
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the gas filler. I hear you about the die grinders. I've had mixed results with the HF grinders some last forever some a few days. I wait till they have a good sale the buy a few at $8-10 ea. I have a good ingersol that I paid about $100 but in most cases I just use the cheapys. I bought a kobalt from lowes... I hate that pos.

I've never used the easy grind stuff. I just use plenty of sanding disks and never let them get so dull they burn the metal. I like the red 3m 60-120 grit. They work great.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #356
Dean'smeanmachine

looks awesome good work

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #357
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work on the gas filler. I hear you about the die grinders. I've had mixed results with the HF grinders some last forever some a few days. I wait till they have a good sale the buy a few at $8-10 ea. I have a good ingersol that I paid about $100 but in most cases I just use the cheapys. I bought a kobalt from lowes... I hate that pos.

I've never used the easy grind stuff. I just use plenty of sanding disks and never let them get so dull they burn the metal. I like the red 3m 60-120 grit. They work great.
I guess I'll rule out the Kobalt then, i was hoping someone would chime in and give there opinion on that one. thanks!

I did a search on Amazon and found some good prices on Chicago Pneumatic, too, 1/2 the price of the local place but have yet to check the model numbers and specs, I may go that route.

I was actually using a die grind cutting bit, but yea i like the 3M disks too, brown, red and blue, won't waste my money on the HF stuff..

When i went to HF the other day i got 3 grinders, a 90, a 45 and a straight, took the 90 back today, the 45 i have determined is going back as well, so far i like the straight one, it feels nice and no vibration.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #358
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
looks awesome good work
Thanks Dean, i am not a body man and i got a little sloppy with the bondo on this project but for what it is it will work fine, i may radius the corners before the install tho.

Got it painted today.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #359
Mustard72

I assume you 'll weld that in? Looks nice.

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #360
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
I assume you 'll weld that in? Looks nice.
Actually i was just gonna use 4 screws, but i'm open to suggestions. Hoping to someday do a bed liner too.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #361
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I was hoping someone would chime in and give there opinion... I did a search on Amazon and found some good prices...
I've found that price is not necessarily related to performance when it comes to air tools, as is evidenced by some of the other comments. The one thing that does play a big part is the weight or "heft" of the air tool. The heavier the tool, the more likely it will perform well. As the air spins the motor, the higher centripetal force will keep it from bogging down when you lean into the material. I have two 90 degree air grinders that couldn't be more different. I use the heavy one with coarse grit discs for fast material removal. The lighter one works best with fine grit or scotchbrite discs because it requires a softer touch.

Your gas filler cover turned out great. Mine is welded to the bedside, but I only plan to use seam sealer where it meets the floor. Just in case something happens and I need to take the bedside off. Probably won't, but you never know.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #362
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I've found that price is not necessarily related to performance when it comes to air tools, as is evidenced by some of the other comments. The one thing that does play a big part is the weight or "heft" of the air tool. The heavier the tool, the more likely it will perform well. As the air spins the motor, the higher centripetal force will keep it from bogging down when you lean into the material. I have two 90 degree air grinders that couldn't be more different. I use the heavy one with coarse grit discs for fast material removal. The lighter one works best with fine grit or scotchbrite discs because it requires a softer touch.

Your gas filler cover turned out great. Mine is welded to the bedside, but I only plan to use seam sealer where it meets the floor. Just in case something happens and I need to take the bedside off. Probably won't, but you never know.
Thanks for the comments Vic, my only experience has been that the brands my work buys (Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic) seem to last forever, the stuff i buy from Harbor freight does not, but i do have one straight HF brand (Central Pneumatic)that has a lot of heft and it is super smooth compared to the same brand of light weight 90*'s and 45*'s.

EDIT: Oh, if i had to do it all over again i'd probably not flange the cover and just make one with 2 bends or a large radius like you did and tack weld it in place, the flanging was a LOT of time and effort that could have been spent elsewhere. But my original thought was that this is my work truck and i wanted something solid that i wouldn't knock loose if i loaded the bed with whatever i throw in the bed and also give me a way to have a quick look at the filler tube if need be to make sure its not seeping gas.

One thing i really do need is a better air compressor, i have one of the red Sears 26 gal single stage pieces of junk, have been debating if i should be looking for another 115V compressor (dual stage compressor?)that might fit my needs of running die grinders and also sanders, or if i'm gonna have to step up to 220V (single or dual phase?) and have an electrician wire it into my circuit breaker, that said i don't want to drill my garage floor for lag bolts..

Any advice on brands and or places to look would be appreciated.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 05-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #363
Vic1947

Quote:
One thing i really do need is a better air compressor, i have one of the red Sears 26 gal single stage pieces of junk, have been debating if i should be looking for another 115V compressor (dual stage compressor?)that might fit my needs of running die grinders and also sanders, or if i'm gonna have to step up to 220V (single or dual phase?) and have an electrician wire it into my circuit breaker, that said i don't want to drill my garage floor for lag bolts..

Any advice on brands and or places to look would be appreciated.
My $.02 worth... two stage cast iron, 80 gallon upright, 220V single phase. No need to screw it to the floor. Mine's on casters and I have it plumbed into the condenser line with a flex hose and a union fitting. When I need to drain it, I uncouple the union and roll it over to the floor drain so water doesn't run everywhere. Sears and Ingersoll Rand are both good, but I'm sure there are others. My 5HP Sears is 28 years old and has never had the compressor head overhauled. The electric motor needed a tuneup three years ago, but other than that and a few minor parts (belts, filters), it's been trouble free. Spend a few bucks on a decent water separator and you're in business.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #364
ryanroo

I have an 80 gallon horizontal. i dont even remember the HP rating. i am thinking 5. it is 220 single phase. its a big mean old monster that was NAPA brand. i have no idea how old it is, probably at least 15 years. i got it free from a divorce/moving out deal several years ago. IMO, if you are buying a compressor, buy one you will like for years to come.

IR makes good stuff, and last time i was at Tractor supply, they seemed to have fair pricing on pretty manly units. my advice, buy the most compressor you can afford and fit in the available space. when/if this one i have dies, i will be looking at an upright as well. since free is a strong motivating factor, i made do with the horizontal, but in any shop/garage floor space is at premium, so upright is best in my opinion.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #365
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm a bit of an air compressor geek. I burned up several in my shop over the years until I stepped up to my current one and did many hours of research to make my choice.

All I can say is the game has changed. You need to be educated on current models rather than relying on a trusted brand name. As an example, I once bought a nice Ingersoll Rand compressor based on their reputation. I had tons of problems with it and during the course of repairing it multiple times I learned that modern Ingersolls are almost all made in China. Real poor quality. Grandpa might have used his old Ingersoll for 40 years with good luck, but you won't get that service out of a new one. Grandmas Kenmore refrigerator may have lasted her entire adult life, but the one you buy today will go 10 years or so.

I chose Champion for my compressor after about a year of research. Low pump speed and 100% made in USA content were the main factors. Quincy builds a good one too. I'd have bought a Quincy, but I wanted an unusual configuration and Champion was more responsive to building it for me.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #366
swamp rat

To correct my last post my compressor isn't a 26 gal its a 33 gal.

This is my current setup, I normally have a 25' hose coiled up in place of the yellow retractable bench hose to allow the air to cool, but i needed to string it out outside for a while and it will be back in place soon, thru a moisture trap/filter then to my home made manifold water trap with drain valves on the bottom, thru another water trap/filter then to my hose reel.

Having used it this way i know i need to move my first moisture trap behind the other in front of the hose real as i over load it and still get a lot of moisture at the drain valves on the manifold.

I think if i had one more requirement besides keeping up with sanders and die grinders (this one runs constantly with a die grinder) it would be (hopefully) a little more quiet than the Craftsman 33 Gal, probably asking a lot......

EDIT: I have had the cover off this compressor and was shocked to find a piston of about (if i remember correctly) 1.25" diameter and it moved about a 1" stroke. Pretty skimpy..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 05-26-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #367
Molberg

Can't go wrong with Chicago pneumatic in my opinion. Worked as a Chrysler mechanic back in the '90s... And they're still going. And I'm hard on tools. I made brackets for my compressor and mounted it up off the floor on the wall. Smaller tank... But ran an air header around the shop with drop downs/blow out valves on each wall. Extra air storage. Real nice work so far.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #368
swamp rat

I ordered this from Amazon last night, thought i'd give it a shot, if i have trouble with it i'll give the Husky a try next.

Ingersoll Rand 302B Air Angle Die Grinder - Power... Ingersoll Rand 302B Air Angle Die Grinder - Power...

Still looking at compressors on line, hoping to stay around $1500, cant justify a $3000 compressor. One problem, if i have to order one i am sure i cant have freight delivered to my house. also need to search locally. Looking at models like Quincy, Curtis, BelAir, Industrial Air.

I know an 80 gal will be fine, but i am wondering if i could get away with a 60 gal as space on my garage is at a premimum also, even vertical as i have shelves on every available wall space possible, i do want to get a blast cabinet sometime down the road

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 05-27-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #369
swamp rat

Nothing done this weekend but spending time with my wife, being as I'm a shift worker i don't get to see her all week. she did add a job to my honey do list tho, I have new lights to put up in front of the house this week, plus I told her i'd get the weed eating done as i have been neglecting the yard a bit.. as in all spring LOL!.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #370
NONHOG

Quote:
spending time with my wife,
Good call! I too put projects on the back burner this weekend. Got some handled but there's always tomorrow.
Oh loving the fab work!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #371
CUSTOM/10

Yup, same here.... Got the weed-wacker out for the 1st time this season. I've been concentrating sooo much on the truck and letting everything else slide.

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #372
mjensen

Guilty of spending too much time on the truck here too. I figure there is always next weekend to spend with the family. Just kidding

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #373
DWilbur

Swamp Rat how's it going. checking out your build tonight or is it this morning. I'm stuck working grave yard for the next 6 weeks. Been grave in it for 4 week now and I hate it. can't seem to get much work done on my 71. I noticed you were using HF grinding wheels. I use the 4.5" grinding and cutting wheels on my Milwakee grinder and they have worked good for me so fare. I use the ones with the green label for metal. The spruce Goose is one big air plan it's sad that I only flew once and it was by mistake. I rebuild my air compressor using HF pump and motor. had a problem with the shiv size on the motor went to 4" from 7". the motor was turning the pump to fast.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #374
Mustard72

You could always add in your 33 gal tank from that compressor to boost the volume of a new compressor, too, so you can maybe not spend extra money for a bigger tank. I'm planning to do that with my old 20 gallon horizontal tank from my dead oil-less compressor. Just need to be able to drain it. I think anything that's not an oil-less compressor will be much quieter than the oil-less one you are running now. I was almost happy when mine died.

I need to make a water trap system like you have. I run a hose straight off the compressor now with a cheap tiny water trap right after the regulator, but it's really woefully inadequate.

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #375
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
You could always add in your 33 gal tank from that compressor to boost the volume of a new compressor, too, so you can maybe not spend extra money for a bigger tank. I'm planning to do that with my old 20 gallon horizontal tank from my dead oil-less compressor. Just need to be able to drain it. I think anything that's not an oil-less compressor will be much quieter than the oil-less one you are running now. I was almost happy when mine died.

I need to make a water trap system like you have. I run a hose straight off the compressor now with a cheap tiny water trap right after the regulator, but it's really woefully inadequate.
Humm. Maybe just reply the compressor unit altogether but I still think having more volume would help. I donno that its worth the hassle. One guy here has a 60 gallon compressor and says it keeps up with his Sanders and die grinders, being as space is premium that may do the trick. Oh, trying to move a 80 gallon compressor is a concern for these old bones too.

I got my honey doo list done and spent 3 days detailing my dirt bike to put it up for sale, and working again this weekend. Hope to get back to the rat starting tomorrow.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's