The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #201
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: Rat repair.

Good to see progress again, good score on the slots and dash! Tires under 10 years can be remounted, so you have time. I can't believe you'd get a ticket for that, I'd think you'd have to have obscene protrusion for it to be an issue unless you live in a utopia that has no real issues for cops to pursue.

Keep in mind that the area that will suffer is still the lower part of the front fenders and even with flush or narrower fitment, that area still gets a ton of rock chips unless you have flaps.

I think your new rear bumper must be like mine? 80's style?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #202
Dean'smeanmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Thanks Dean, not too bad for someone who's not been a gear head all his life, the scary part is body work, i'm even less of a body man LOL!

Its been a long winter, I've been sick and ill more days since November than i have been well, Flu, then stomach virus that hit my entire shop during a pot luck, then somehow i inhaled one of my prescription meds into my right lung, burned like hell for about 4 days, then in 2 weeks that turned into Bronchitus and flu again which zapped all my energy, rough winter to say the least, but I'm gonna try and get back at it, i have been down but i have been collecting a few items along the way to get going again.
hope you start feeling better, thanx for the updates and pics.

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #203
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Good to see progress again, good score on the slots and dash! Tires under 10 years can be remounted, so you have time. I can't believe you'd get a ticket for that, I'd think you'd have to have obscene protrusion for it to be an issue unless you live in a utopia that has no real issues for cops to pursue.

Keep in mind that the area that will suffer is still the lower part of the front fenders and even with flush or narrower fitment, that area still gets a ton of rock chips unless you have flaps.

I think your new rear bumper must be like mine? 80's style?
I will probably continue with plans to polish the wheels them regardless and give them a shot to see if the width grows on me, I have wanted slots for years. Maybe not where your at but it is ticketable over here to be outside of the fender wells, but i do believe the cop would have to be in a bad mood or just an ass. It may not look so bad when mounted. I was however shocked to find out how expensive the lug are gonna be..

Don't tell nobody but the bumper came off of a 4 letter F word. I have given thought to trying to modify the old bumper being as i have a Mig and Plasma cutter till i can find a different period correct bumper that i like.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #204
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
hope you start feeling better, thanx for the updates and pics.
Thanks! My right lung finally quit rolling about 5 days ago and almost all the wheezing is gone, finally starting to feel like i'm getting the needed oxygen when i start moving and working. I have found a new found fondness for protecting my lungs.

The wheels i got need an acid bath, if you look back in the build i have some Muratic Acid, that stuff is super toxic and vapors are killer, before i use it again i will have a respirator on, it should be here by Tuesday at the latest.

Starting out slow this year but like a terminator when it comes to this truck i will not stop.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #205
swamp rat

I started out my day today at 4:30 am waking up (groggy as hell) and drinking my coffee, then taking my wife to the oral surgeon to yank a tooth and a few other things to her upper jaw (whatever you call it) to prep for a tooth replacement, another $2000 bill on my Visa after insurance. Whats another temporary setback... LOL!

I got the car canopy up behind the old one and lashed then together last Monday, of course it was raining when i did that.. Then i scrounged up a couple wooden crates from the scrap yard at work to use as stands to set the bed on. I also bought 3 sheets of plywood to act as a temporary floor under the engine hoist as the ground is pretty soft, i let it dry under the cover for 3 days then got started.

First the tailgate and the 100 lb bumper had to come off, then i rounded up a couple 2X4's some clamps and extended the lift out, not the best but it worked better what i rigged up the last time i pulled the bed, thanks to this forum for the ideas, i did forget to add some wood under the bed rails so all the weight was on the bottom of the flange (woops) but i didn't do any real damage thankfully.

I ground the rivets and removed the rear cross member after i clamped a piece of square stock across the rear of the frame, i didn't know if it was gonna spring in or out, so just being cautious. i tried 3/8 a bolt in the rivet hole but it was a little sloppy fitting so i dug around and just happened to have the perfect step reamer, just .006 larger than a 7/16 NF bolt with a pilot the same diameter as the existing rivet hole, off to the hardware store for 7/16 Grade 8 bolts nuts and washers.

One of the reasons i wanted to pull the rear cross member and make it removable was so i could hopefully gain access to the 2 bed bolts above the tank, last time i put the bed on i couldn't reach the two bolts to put the two nuts and washers on no matter what i tried. The bolts are much closer to the rear of the tank and with the cross member removed i can get my Popeye forearms between the tank and frame rails enough to access the bolts. The only problem with having rear cross member removable is the top of the cross member needs the to also be bolted and the nuts and washers would no longer be accessible, so i think the solution will be to weld the nuts to the inside top of the cross member and then i should be able to access the bolt from the top without too much trouble, hopefully!

The other reason of course is i want to put the tank between the frame rails instead of just bolting it to the bottom so the filler will be up higher. there is currently 1 1/4" from the top of the tank to the top of the frame rail, i have some 1" square tubing that i think will raise it up enough to allow the rubber fill hose not to rub on the frame, as a back up i also have some 1 1/4" square stock as well. The only other option i can see would be to ether cut a notch out of the frame which i absolutely do not want to do, the other is get a torch (another purchase) and heat it up and bend it down.

I guess the only other option from all this would be to take the tank to a weld shop and have them remove and re weld the flanges lower on the tank but i'll save that as a last resort..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #206
Dean'smeanmachine

lookin good!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #207
sboris

Excellent progress. Love those slots, hope you use them.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #208
JayB331

Nice work Rat, and glad you're feeling better!

My Project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602684
JayB331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #209
swamp rat

Today I welded a couple nuts on the top underside of the rear cross member so it could be bolted from the top, and then thru bolts and nuts on the bottom.

Removed the tank and slid it between the rails, realized real quick i needed way less that 1" of spacer to get the tank high enough. when i mounted the tank on the bottom of the rails the first time i used rubber washers to isolate the tank and eliminate the contact of dissimilar metals, seemed like a good idea at the time so i did it again today.

Went to the hardware store and bought a foot of 1/8" rubber sheet and cut it into strips, first i used some 1/8" X 2" angle iron i had laying around, then 2 strips of rubber then the tank followed by another strip of rubber, then another smaller piece of angle for an upper cap followed by lock nuts. it don't look pretty but this isn't a show truck, if i find the rubber was a bad idea then I'll just have to pull the bed and change it out to something like steel strap. Oh, it looks a little funny because i notched the rear of the tank flange to clear the spring mounts on the underside of the frame, but the tank flange is wider than the rubber strips and angle and there is now plenty of clearance for the hose to not hit the frame..

Then i brought out the new Curt hitch and mounted the two center holes thru the existing holes in the bottom of the frame, still need to drill 4 holes. Looking at it the frame rails sure seem thin, i cant help but wonder if the frame will end up bending under the weight of towing..

Also i did some preliminary barnyard measurements and I'm a little concerned if this hitch will extend out far enough with the bumpers i have so i came to the conclusion i'll probably put the bed back on tomorrow first, then take a good look at the bumper situation, i know I'll ether have to modify my existing bumper or try and mount the other one, or maybe just make a new one?? beginning to like that option.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #210
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Excellent progress. Love those slots, hope you use them.
I sure plan to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB331 View Post
Nice work Rat, and glad you're feeling better!
Thanks Jay, so am I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
lookin good!
Thanks Dean!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #211
swamp rat

Well well, one step forward and 2 steps back again...

A trip to the hardware store and then wrap up a few loose ends then decided to put the bed back on to see how far out the back the hitch sits when using the one existing hole in the bottom of the frame. I picked up the bed and got the dunnage out of the area and backed the truck into place, lowered the bed down and got it aligned as good as possible then relaxed the lift. It took me a while to figure out why the bed just wouldn't slide that last inch to get back into place....

Before i raised the tank the vent was low enough that it was under the bed cross member, guess i forgot about that when raising the tank, even worse if you look at the pic's where the cross member sits it was plain as day.. Oh well

So I had to lift the bed back up, pull back out from under it, remove the hitch and unbolt the tank from the frame and fuel line, reposition the tank forward while using a 2X4 to gauge the clearance to the vent (yes a 2X4 is 1.5" and the cross member is 1.75") then take measurements from the rear of the frame to the tank, pull the tank back out and reposition underneath the frame and transfer the mounting holes from the tank back to the frame and put it all back together again then re bend the fuel line a bit and shorten and re flair it. The tank was moved forward about 1 1/4".

I also decided the hitch could be moved rearward almost another inch if i plugged the two existing 3/4" holes in the frame and re drill all 6 holes. Welcome to my welding booth complete with wet dirt ground, yea its been dumping all day again and the water leaches back under the cover. Oh my 220V extension cord had to be run from the garage outside and under the car cover too. The pic shows the top which was welded first then ground flush, then welded from the bottom.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #212
swamp rat

What i was faced with this morning.. I decided to straighten up my work bench a little and then mocked up the hitch where i want it and clamped it in place then gathered up the needed drills and called it a day so i can get ready for work. Didn't get a pic of the mock up but by welding up the existing hole i was able to extend the hitch out another inch.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #213
swamp rat

So this week i haven't been sitting idle, but i have only been getting in about 2-3 hours a day to work on the truck, that included dragging all the tools need out and back in again.. I hate not having a shop..

I have had the bed on and off two more times this week test fitting and checking everything, the tank is now positioned so not to interfere with the bed sills, and i had to cut the leg off the angles i used as a top cap to bolt the tank in because i couldn't reach the bed bolts. I'll leave the bed unbolted for now in case i need it off for body stuff.

I settled on the hitch position and drilled the 6 holes and got it drilled and bolted up, I decided not to push it and left about 3/4" from the rear hole to the edge of the frame, i was originally going to move it back further but decided safe would be better than gaining another 1/4" out the back.

As i may have mentioned i wanted to retain the cross member in the stock location because its very close to the rear springs and shackles, If i just removed or moved it i think it would have allowed the frame to flex too much. The other reason was so i could access the tank bolts on ether side of the tank that i couldn't reach from the front, And it worked, with the nut welded to the upper leg of the brace i can run bolts in from the side, and the bottom bolts and nut's are accessible from underneath.

Lifted the bumper i picked up on the cheap up to the truck, i hate it, so I'll keep looking.

Anybody know if any of these 1/2" hols in the frame are factory?
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 03-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #214
swamp rat

I got the gas fill door surround cut and made my preliminary layout of where i want the door, I'm not worried about cutting the hole anymore, but i still have some rippling problems I'm trying to get out, i was working the lower portion using the hammer off technique and got a high spot out but in the process it created an even bigger high spot on the upper section..... Go figure

I need to pull my inner bed fender wells soon, i'm seeing some pretty nasty looking rust on the back side where they bolt to the inner bed.
I'll give it another go soon but probably not this weekend, there is a swap meet tomorrow downtown i want to check out, then i got to go to work.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #215
swamp rat

I need to get these fender wells off pretty quick too!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #216
sboris

Good progress. Keep picking away. The no shop thing I'm sure is a pain, but your definitely doing good without!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #217
Dean'smeanmachine

not having a shop must be a pain...im spoiled with my nice one...... Good job!

in God we Trust
Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #218
swamp rat

Well its not much but its something, the rain has been non stop for days until about an hour before i left for work yesterday, but i was able to get a little bit done today..

Guess i got over the "fear factor" on poking a hole in my bed, still need to fit it a little more

I still have some couture issues that need sorting out but i thought maybe this might help me get them worked out ether by relieving stress or gaining access to the back side?

Kinda surprised at how much rust is back there, makes me cringe thinking about the cab....
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #219
70stroker

Looks good man, id like to do a bedside filler but after I dont want to redo my paint im just goin to doing a stake pocket filler.
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #220
swamp rat

Well nothing accomplished today. I got an electric abrasive 3" cutoff tool from Harbor freight for Christmas, never used it till yesterday, as i was using it to rough the door opening it started to loose RPM as it got warm. I figured today was the day i better get it exchanged under there 90 day satisfaction guarantee, made it by a day or two..

So driving there, spending time in the store and home killed most of my morning..

I did buy one of there 18" metal brake forum tools to i can make the filler tube cover for the bed.

EDIT: I should add, both of my key fobs have now failed dor my DD> so now tomorrow i need to go buy new ones and get them programmed and cut.. another nice chunk of change... and time away from the truck..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 03-13-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #221
Mustard72

Nice work. Planning a bedside filler for mine, too.

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #222
Dean'smeanmachine

hey cool. looks good, keep at it man

in God we Trust
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #223
swamp rat

70stroker, Mustard72, Dean'smeanmachine,

Thanks for the compliments, now i just need to find a bit more time to finish it!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #224
freakshow108

Keep plugging away buddy! Spring is almost here, and before you know she will be done!
freakshow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #225
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow108 View Post
Keep plugging away buddy! Spring is almost here, and before you know she will be done!
Thanks Randy, i'm just bummed right now because i have had 2 super nice mornings to get some work done and another tomorrow and all these things i got to deal with keep popping up, its frustrating.

Still trying to decide if and when i get the rust repaired if i should attempt a piece by piece paint job in the yard (under a car cover of course)... Or just shell out some big bucks....

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's