The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Econman

Missing Title Question

I have a co-worker that has a '69 GMC stepside that he's priced to me. No power anything (steering, brakes or a/c), but with the original 6-cyl and 3 on the tree. The truck runs.. only light rust is in the normal areas, rockers, etc but a very solid bed.

He bought the truck from a friend in north Alabama that had lost the title. In Alabama, the DMV told him that they would not issue a replacement title for a truck that age. He has a Bill of Sale, receipts, cancelled check, etc and they will issue a registration but not a title.

I live in Tennessee and have never dealt with this situation before, despite selling commercial vehicles for years.. Does anyone know what I can expect if I was to buy it and need to get it registered legally?

It's a truck I'd really like to have, but don't want to get stuck with a parts truck...

Thanks!
Econman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
WarMonger

Re: Missing Title Question

Can you have that guy try to register it in Alabama in his name? If it works, then he sells it to you?
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Stu Pidd

In Washington state the process is pretty easy, but that's irrelevant to Tennessee.

Call the local DMV?
Stu Pidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Econman

He's got (4) 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks that he's trying to sell because he's building a new shop. He doesn't want to spend the money to register it and go through that process just to flip it.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Secret Squirrel

Sounds fishy, title issues can be a nightmare. Call the DMV in the state where truck was sold then call the DMV in you state to see what they will need.

You can also speak to the folks who do vin inspection usually local police or sheriffs office. I have passed up some killer deals once I did the research myself and got the "true" story.
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Econman

I was too busy to call the DMV before they closed today. But that will be my first order of business Monday morning..
Old 05-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Secret Squirrel

Trust but verify my friend!
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
1969_CM2590D

Go to the courthouse, or the DMV and ask a supervisor, then check the law on it online. The first thing you need to know is what Tenn. requires. Research online and make sure Ala. is a bill of sale state. Yes, you can get incorrect information form the a clerk at the DMV.

Even then, you may need a registration in his name.

My GMC came from Ga. which is a BOS state for anything more than 25 years old. Ky is a stickler on tites, but will accept a BOS if that is what is legit in the state you are bringing the vehicle in from. So, I did get a title, but the County Clerk herself had to go through a few books to verify Ga's. law, and said I did need a registration in the seller's name. Mine was current, but it could have been expired as well. There had to be something to show the PO had legally owned it. Nonetheless uncertainty didn't entirely go away until the mail came and I had that title in my hands.

If you really want to buy it, and if he wants to sell it, have him plate it so it can be shown he's the legal owner. You can offer to cover the cost. If what I had was good enough for Ky., it should be ok in Tenn. If he won't do that, walk away.

The point is- be 110% sure of what Tenn requires for a title, and be 125% sure you have all the necessary paperwork.

1969 GMC C2500 305E V-6 The Mule
1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
1969_CM2590D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Econman

Good suggestions... Thanks everybody!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post
I have a co-worker that has a '69 GMC stepside that he's priced to me. No power anything (steering, brakes or a/c), but with the original 6-cyl and 3 on the tree. The truck runs.. only light rust is in the normal areas, rockers, etc but a very solid bed.

He bought the truck from a friend in north Alabama that had lost the title. In Alabama, the DMV told him that they would not issue a replacement title for a truck that age. He has a Bill of Sale, receipts, cancelled check, etc and they will issue a registration but not a title.

I live in Tennessee and have never dealt with this situation before, despite selling commercial vehicles for years.. Does anyone know what I can expect if I was to buy it and need to get it registered legally?

It's a truck I'd really like to have, but don't want to get stuck with a parts truck...

Thanks!
Walk away...fast!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
CC's72

Hello Econman,
Went through this when I purchased mine approximately. 2 years ago. It resided in Alabama also and did no have a title as Alabama only titles from 1975 to current.

The current owner will need to reregister it if the previous owner is not available.

Step 1.
Obtain a bill of sale from the current owner and make sure to have it notarized.
Obtain the current registration or a notarized copy of it.

Step 2.
For a Tennessee title go to this web site:
http://tennesseedriverslicense.org/official-forms.html
and click on this form:
Car Title -> Certification Of Ownership

You will need to fill it out and explain that the State of Alabama does not title vehicles back prior to 1975.

I stated on mine: "The State of Alabama does not require a Title for vehicles of 1974 model years or older under Code of Ala. 1975 Section 32-8-31 parg. 12"

With all this in hand, I went to my local DMV and filed for a title and left with my registration and tag. The title came by mail several weeks later.

Please remember that your mileage may vary at you DMV as not all clerks know what the laws are.

Hope this helps,
Charles
CC's72
CC's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC's72 View Post
Hello Econman,
Went through this when I purchased mine approximately. 2 years ago. It resided in Alabama also and did no have a title as Alabama only titles from 1975 to current.

The current owner will need to reregister it if the previous owner is not available.

Step 1.
Obtain a bill of sale from the current owner and make sure to have it notarized.
Obtain the current registration or a notarized copy of it.

Step 2.
For a Tennessee title go to this web site:
http://tennesseedriverslicense.org/official-forms.html
and click on this form:
Car Title -> Certification Of Ownership

You will need to fill it out and explain that the State of Alabama does not title vehicles back prior to 1975.

I stated on mine: "The State of Alabama does not require a Title for vehicles of 1974 model years or older under Code of Ala. 1975 Section 32-8-31 parg. 12"

With all this in hand, I went to my local DMV and filed for a title and left with my registration and tag. The title came by mail several weeks later.

Please remember that your mileage may vary at you DMV as not all clerks know what the laws are.

Hope this helps,
Charles
CC's72
Good answer
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
Econman

Great input! Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
kowboy63

I went & looked at a decent 70 model truck today that didn't have a title & the lady couldn't find the tag receipt, she offered me a bill of sale but I told her I'd wait to see if she could find tag receipt. She had a couple different stories that didn't add up.
kowboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
1969_CM2590D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowboy63 View Post
I went & looked at a decent 70 model truck today that didn't have a title & the lady couldn't find the tag receipt, she offered me a bill of sale but I told her I'd wait to see if she could find tag receipt. She had a couple different stories that didn't add up.
Here you can get a copy of the registration for $6, so she should be able to come up with one, even if expired...

1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
kowboy63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969_CM2590D View Post
Here you can get a copy of the registration for $6, so she should be able to come up with one, even if expired...
I believe you can here too, the truck looks like it has been parked for a while so the registration is probably expired. She said someone she knew had pawned it & she went & got it out of pawn but never got the title & didn't worry about it since it didn't have to be titled in ga. I told her I would get back to her sometime this week.
kowboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Walk away...fast!
I think Fitz is trying to buy the truck out from under you!

Like others have mentioned some states don't have titles. If you are trying to buy a truck from that state and you refuse to buy one without a title you are going to have a hard time buying a truck. You can get this purchase done, just do your homework and it will all go through just fine.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #18
1969_CM2590D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowboy63 View Post
I believe you can here too, the truck looks like it has been parked for a while so the registration is probably expired. She said someone she knew had pawned it & she went & got it out of pawn but never got the title & didn't worry about it since it didn't have to be titled in ga. I told her I would get back to her sometime this week.
You can take the VIN and the state will know if there are any outstanding liens on it. They check on that anyway with a transfer- but obviously you'll want to know about it beforehand- who likes unpleasant surprises?

1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
Old 05-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
Econman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I think Fitz is trying to buy the truck out from under you!

Like others have mentioned some states don't have titles. If you are trying to buy a truck from that state and you refuse to buy one without a title you are going to have a hard time buying a truck. You can get this purchase done, just do your homework and it will all go through just fine.
That's what I plan to do. If it can be done cleanly, and I'm sure there's an easy way, I plan to. Here's a pic.

Name:  69 GMC (3).jpg
Views: 247
Size:  50.9 KB
Old 05-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
fine69

Looks decent.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Econman

Definitely a project truck, but would go a different direction than I took on my 72 Cheyenne LWB.