The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Awesome, looks like fun! I can't take my truck anywhere right now. I have 1 turbo off and need to rebuild the other.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Awesome, looks like fun! I can't take my truck anywhere right now. I have 1 turbo off and need to rebuild the other.
That sucks.......danged diesels and their turbos...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
That sucks.......danged diesels and their turbos...
I had one pushing oil for a while now. They're a pain to et to/off so I have been avoiding it. I didn't rebuild the big one when I put it on the truck so I guess it is what it is. It started pushing oil out the exhaust really bad at the end of June hauling my 5th wheel. Poor truck.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
I had one pushing oil for a while now. They're a pain to et to/off so I have been avoiding it. I didn't rebuild the big one when I put it on the truck so I guess it is what it is. It started pushing oil out the exhaust really bad at the end of June hauling my 5th wheel. Poor truck.
I guess your tailpipe literally is pumping out Prius repellent. ......

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My old truck may see fewer miles after this last weekend.

The wife sold her Cadillac last week so we could get her a Camaro. We started out just shopping for a basic car on the cheaper end. She said she didn't care if it was a V8 or 6 or a coupe or convertible. And if it's her car I'm not going to argue. Even the 6 cylinder cars have over 300 hp, so no biggie.

Then we saw a few that really looked good that were SS's and in the high teens for prices. Ok, no problem. And her brother has a 2011 2SS convertible that she said was her "dream car" so we checked to see if he wanted to sell. Not just out of the blue, he has made rumblings about selling it. But he decided to hold onto it for now. No problem, there are others like it available.

So now we are looking at cars in the low $20's. We got a nice down payment with the sale of her car and another car still up for sale. So now we are sniffing around cars from 2013-15 and I check on what the 6th generation cars are selling for. Surprisingly I found a few nice 2017 convertible SS cars for just a few thousand over what a comparable 2011 was at. Apparently the dealers are trying to get the last remaining used convertibles off the lots before fall and the new 2019's come out because we were finding some at the wholesale price.

We got a sweet deal on this 2017 1-SS and it's an amazing car. We both love it. The new 6.2 has 455 hp and pulls like a freight train. Rides nice, gets unbelievable gas mileage (almost 28 mpg on the trip home at 75 mph). And the new convertible top operation is really cool. Has a built in cover piece, no snap in parts or anything. Just push the button on the remote key fob and about 15 seconds later it's down and ready to go.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
Ol Blue K20

Nice! She's happy

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Yep, Keep mama HAPPY.

Bill's Gallery
Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Awesome! Congrats for you both! I haven't been following the new cars much. What is the difference from the 1-SS, and 2-SS?
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Awesome! Congrats for you both! I haven't been following the new cars much. What is the difference from the 1-SS, and 2-SS?
The 2SS has more options like leather seats, navigation, heads up display, etc. The 1SS is pretty well optioned as well. Like any new car nowadays. We didn’t find any 2SS convertibles of this generation for under $30k.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The 2SS has more options like leather seats, navigation, heads up display, etc. The 1SS is pretty well optioned as well. Like any new car nowadays. We didn’t find any 2SS convertibles of this generation for under $30k.
Ok, makes sense now. It's crazy how much some options rack up the price. Either way, nice car!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Wow, 3 years since the last post. I guess I haven't been doing enough work on my truck. That's about to change. Last fall I was driving down the highway heading north and half way there the exhaust tone suddenly changed. Like it had a miss. At idle it sounded normal but give it a little load and throttle and yuck. So on a trailer and drag it home hoping I don't make it worse. I didn't really start trying to diagnose the problem until this summer. I was mainly working on the 79 crewcab.

Compression test was ok. Nothing obvious. Played with timing, checked spark on all cylinders, changed the cap and plugs, no change. Bought a leak down tester and checked it today. Not good. Could just be head gaskets but possibly something cracked. I've got 3 cylinders that are really bad and a couple that are marginal. Problems on both sides.

I have been collecting parts to build a 383 sbc. The local machinist had a set of used (not much) rods, pistons already balanced and ready for install. I talked to him about the crank I had, brought it in and had him balance the whole rotating assembly. I got a 4 bolt block that hasn't been bored. As long as it's not cracked or have a ton of bore taper it will be getting bored soon.

I would like to have a roller cam and maybe aluminum heads. I have a set of vortec heads ready to go but they are limited for valve lift unless we disassemble and cut the spring seats down, which might be what I do.

I've also got a 200-4R transmission to swap in but it needs to be gone through first. Direct swap for the TH350 and with a few upgrades it's plenty strong. I may end up swapping gears after. I went from 3.73 to a 3.08 since I didn't have OD. Will have to see how it performs. I don't race it so it's just a seat of the pants Dyno.

Hopefully ready to go next spring. My first love needs some attention.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #13
Low Elco

Awwwwwyeah......
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Making some progress on the new engine. The block is bored and Shrode is getting the bearings to install the rotating assembly. I just ordered a pile of parts to finish the rest of it. I went with a set of Brodix IK200 heads. These are a good flowing aluminum as cast head so it will be perfect for the level of performance I'm aiming for, good choice for the higher compression with the flat tops (about 10:1) vs iron heads. I was also looking at some Promaxx 200 heads, they were my first choice because basically they are the same as the brodix heads but a little cheaper and with a better valve job (5 angle vs 3 angle), but due to shortages for everything the Brodix supposedly have a much earlier delivery date. I chose a Howards hydraulic roller cam, 272/278 duration and .525" lift which I also have to wait on, until early March I think, due to the lifters. The cam is in stock, can't get the lifters. Getting a Cloyes timing chain set, roller tip rockers, Melling oil pump, summit 6 qt oil pan with built in windage tray, summit version of an edelbrock performer air gap intake and some ARP head bolts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bro-1021007
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl111145-10

Nothing too radical but it should have good vacuum, mild chop idle and really decent power curve. The computers estimate around 450 HP and 500 ft-lbs I believe. Should be a fun cruiser.

This engine will be beyond the capabilities of my existing FI Tech EFI at full tilt. It should work for everything I intend to do but I might need to step up to a bigger system. At least I have several other vehicles to swap this one onto, probably the plow truck. That would be awesome.

Now that the engine is pretty much settled I'll have to turn my attention to the transmission. I have a 200-4R from a Monte Carlo I want to use because it's a direct swap for the TH350. I don't know the condition of it so it needs to be gone through and should get a few upgrades so it can handle the torque of the 383. It's the same transmission GM used in the GNX so I know it can handle it if built right.

There is another distraction though and that's the long time waiting cobra kit car. I did some financial restructuring and found some money to get an engine for it, a 5.0 coyote, which I picked up Friday. I'm always looking for a bargain and the prices on these engines (used) have doubled in the last couple years so I got one from a 2014 F150 with supposedly a cracked head. I'm in the midst of a teardown on it to see what I got. If it's a cracked seat it can be repaired no problem. If it's in the aluminum not many machine shops will fix it and I'll need to find a head. The first gen coyote in the truck was only rated at 360 hp, but I'm sure I can improve that a bit. I'm looking at either upgrades to the current heads or finding a set of 2nd gen heads (bigger valves, more lift, heavier springs) to get me over 400 hp. That should be plenty for a 2300 lb car.

Still need to find a transmission for the cobra. I'm looking for a good used 5 or 6 speed. Hit me up if you got a line on one.

Pic for attention
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to see ya making some headway on the truck. Nice little kit, the cobra.

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #16
Ol Blue K20

Nice, you're making a lot of progress!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-25-2022, 03:43 AM   #17
Low Elco

Can't wait to see the new motor!
Old 01-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's nuts lifters are that far out. Actually it's all nuts. Glad to hear you have it so far along though. Nice score on the coyote! I'll keep my eye out for a 6 speed for you.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-06-2022, 12:26 AM   #19
Mike Bradbury

So what was it that ruined the engine? sounds like you just tore it all down but I did not see what the official diagnosis was. Was it a crack or a bent push rod or what?

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
So what was it that ruined the engine? sounds like you just tore it all down but I did not see what the official diagnosis was. Was it a crack or a bent push rod or what?
Didn't tear anything down yet. Only removed the valve covers during testing. It still runs. Idles just fine but put a load on it and sounds like crap. Once I swap in the new engine I'll try and find the root cause. My best guess is head gasket. Or cracked valve seat. One of the heads for sure had a previous crack repair.

Still waiting for heads and cam/lifters to get shipped. Maybe this week. Not holding my breath though. I think the rod and main bearings were supposed to get delivered today so Mike can assemble the short block, minus the cam of course.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been waiting a while for these. Continuing to wait for the cam/lifters. No telling how long that will be. These are the promaxx 200 I originally wanted. Set up for hyd roller cam. They sure are pretty!

Here's a review of them...
https://youtu.be/Wr-VYVAbOP4

As for the transmission, I'm looking for a local builder to go through the 200-4R I've got. I've chatted with a couple people so far.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2022, 04:04 AM   #22
Low Elco

Oooooooo.....
Old 02-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #23
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Oooooooo.....
X2!!!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #24
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Those heads do look nice. I was looking at building a 6.0 for my 71 Camaro and about shat myself when I saw how bad the prices on parts have jumped. It'll have to like the 5.3 that's currently in it.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #25
Mike Bradbury

Nice! Yeah the supply chain issues sure are frustrating.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote