The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
68 short step

MAR-K rant

after looking at aftermarket beds (shortbed stepside) i found it to be MAR-K had to be IMO the best out there, and only, with the cool smooth tailgate with the handle on the inside.... so i ordered a complete bed minus the fenders for a total of 1603.95 $$ they wanted over 200$$ for shipping to outside of dallas, so i desided i would just go pick it up....we'll after calling to ask if they were open on saterdays (cause most of us work too, M-F) so i can pick it up, the machine said there "normal" hours of operation was M-F
8-5..... well i thought i'd like to talk to a real person to see if mabey they could unlock the doors so i could pick it up on saterday.....one would think if they spend 1600$$ they could, take 10min of there time to let me load it up and be on my way.... but the answer i got was "no"
so i hope the quaility is good
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
weav1

Re: MAR-K rant

do have complete fleetsides
weav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
larry may

Nice try 68 short step. The ole mom and pop stores are all gone for customer satisfaction.....The good ole days when ask for a part the owner would just go get it off the shelf even if calLed on him at home 8 oclock at night, did'nt matter what day it was. Them were the days. when a set of wheel bearings cost $2.49.......... LOL

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Last edited by larry may; 03-08-2007 at 09:15 PM.
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I purchased a complete bed with step fenders minus the tail gate from Mar-K. The quality is great and so was the packing. They also have great tech support and often read and respond to threads on this forum.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
CMars45000

I dunno, I don't get it I guess. Many times, the employees of such places do not necessarily live that close to the facility. And I hate to say it, but they have lives too. I have been asked multiple times to go unlock the store on Sundays (when I used to have keys to the Napa Store). I never did it unless it was a dire emergency. I constantly went out of my way for "customer satisfaction", but my weekends were for me. I am not trying to belittle your situation, by any means. Just as a case in point, I currently work at a shop that specializes in the accessorizing and repair of 4x4's. My boss lives 45 min away, 3 other guys live 30 min away. I am the only employee within 15 min drive of the place. Then there are certain other things to consider like reconciling credit card machines, etc...

Maybe I am jaded from being on the service/supplier end of the stick for a while; I dunno. Just me $.02

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
after looking at aftermarket beds (shortbed stepside) i found it to be MAR-K had to be IMO the best out there, and only, with the cool smooth tailgate with the handle on the inside.... so i ordered a complete bed minus the fenders for a total of 1603.95 $$ they wanted over 200$$ for shipping to outside of dallas, so i desided i would just go pick it up....we'll after calling to ask if they were open on saterdays (cause most of us work too, M-F) so i can pick it up, the machine said there "normal" hours of operation was M-F
8-5..... well i thought i'd like to talk to a real person to see if mabey they could unlock the doors so i could pick it up on saterday.....one would think if they spend 1600$$ they could, take 10min of there time to let me load it up and be on my way.... but the answer i got was "no"
so i hope the quaility is good
What hours do you work?Do you think someone lives there?How could it take 10 minutes on Saturday to open the shop and help you unless someone lived there?And,maybe they`d want to work on their own truck or spend time with their family on their day of.It would more than likely eat up a 1/2 day for your 10 minute load-up.How long would it take you,door to door?Just because you came off of some coin doesn`t make the world owe you anything more than what you bought.You`re trying to save shipping costs by asking them to do something beyond their terms.Did you offer to pay someone overtime to accomodate you?Shipping requires crating and the parts are large.Save $200 and go there during business hours and pick it up.Spend money on gas and use your truck and time.Lose pay from your job to do it.Or...you could spend $200 for the service.It`s just the way the world works.I know I`ve aggrevated you with this,not my intention.Just seems you needed some perspective here,like it or not.You ranted,I responded.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-08-2007 at 10:05 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
68 short step

yea i know the quality is top notch (thats why i chose them) i understand if they live 30min or more away, but im not talking about a 75$ alternater or 50$ set of brake pads NAPA sells....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
RicksTrucks

I may be going to OKC then Dallas next week. I could pick up and deliver for less than that.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Schralper

Hope this isn't a hijack, now.
Speaking of wood. I'm looking for wood for my 68 fleet/long but want USED/ not new wood. New wood would look wrong in my truck.
Any ideas?
I've done some searching not much luck.
Thanks
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Think about it, the one guy that would be willing to come to the shop to load you is the guy that has the least amount of knowledge in your stuff.

It would be outstanding to have the shop manager there to load you, but if the shop is worth anything at all, it will treat it's people like a real person, that means weekends off. I agree, I hate the fact that the working stiff has to deal with the shops being closed on the days he has off, but that is the way it goes.

I used to work weekends at the store that I ran and it had a term of SUX tied to it.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
vfrdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What hours do you work?Do you think someone lives there?How could it take 10 minutes on Saturday to open the shop and help you unless someone lived there?And,maybe they`d want to work on their own truck or spend time with their family on their day of.It would more than likely eat up a 1/2 day for your 10 minute load-up.How long would it take you,door to door?Just because you came off of some coin doesn`t make the world owe you anything more than what you bought.You`re trying to save shipping costs by asking them to do something beyond their terms.Did you offer to pay someone overtime to accomodate you?Shipping requires crating and the parts are large.Save $200 and go there during business hours and pick it up.Spend money on gas and use your truck and time.Lose pay from your job to do it.Or...you could spend $200 for the service.It`s just the way the world works.I know I`ve aggrevated you with this,not my intention.Just seems you needed some perspective here,like it or not.You ranted,I responded.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
no i dont think they live there, nor do i expect them to.... if it took someone half a day (4hrs) to load a bed, either they are retarted or crippled or both!!
it will take me about 3 hrs one way....im just saying they dont owe me, just it would be a nice thing to do if they would let me come on saterday....
Old 03-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
High Speed low Drag

#1 - They aren't making $1600 profit on your purchase. The dollar amount you spend with them is relevent here.

#2 - If you want them to come in on a day when they are closed, why don't you re-arrange YOUR schedule to fit the hours of operation. That or pony up the shipping money.

#3 - It's spelled Saturday.
High Speed low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Here's something else to mull over. How much of that $200.00 do you think MAR-K keeps in profit? When you pick up those parts they will be boxed up the same way they are shipped via the freight lines/UPS whatever. They aint making money off shipping.

I use to live 5 mins from where I worked and every time the boss needed someone to come in during closed hours it was usually me. He thought I could jut "pop in" in a couple of mins. When I wouldn't get there for 15 to 20 mins he got mad and wanted to know why. I tried explaining that I was in the middle of eating, working on my car, almost sex etc. It aint that easy to open up a business on a normal day off. If he did it for you why not someone else or another guy or that dude that lives the next town over. Next thing you know, your open on that 6th day of the week and paying someone OT for it. Or having to hire more help, then you gotta increase the cost of your product to compensate. Now everybodys *****n' cause you just raised your prices.

See sometime what you think is a small or insignificant thing can in fact lead to a lot more than what you could imagine.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

OK. My take on this may be a bit different.I think that a company that sells something used "mostly"for hobby reasons should realize that their customers work.So if they choose to be in that business they should be aware of that and set up hours to be available.Can you imagine a hobby store only open 8:00-5:00 M-F.Do you think it would sell many remote controlled planes,cars or electric train acessories?Customers are the only reason a business can exist.If you're in business you have to meet the customers needs and sometimes that means being open when they can come to do business with you.To run a sucessful business you need to know about your customer base.Obviously their customers are hobbyist's and pro shops.I doubt pro shops do enough business with them to make the tooling for the bed profitable unless the hobbyists also buy from them.Having worked in companies that did need to serve customers on weekends I understand wanting to be off but it's not worth it if it causes the company to go under.

Just my thought on it.There may be a hundred or so customers that haven't bought a new bed since they couldn't afford it and the shipping.
I have also had to work every other Saturday or one a month to work for a business because of this.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 03-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
RicksTrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
no i dont think they live there, nor do i expect them to.... if it took someone half a day (4hrs) to load a bed, either they are retarted or crippled or both!!
it will take me about 3 hrs one way....im just saying they dont owe me, just it would be a nice thing to do if they would let me come on saterday....
My offer is still on the table if you want me to pick it up and deliver it to you.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Speed low Drag View Post
#1 - They aren't making $1600 profit on your purchase. The dollar amount you spend with them is relevent here.

#2 - If you want them to come in on a day when they are closed, why don't you re-arrange YOUR schedule to fit the hours of operation. That or pony up the shipping money.

#3 - It's spelled Saturday.
#1 really! did you figure that out yourself??

#2 i am arranging my schedule to pick it up..... im sure that they are makeing $$ on shipping too.... its not a $ issue, its the principle!!!

#3 thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
OK. My take on this may be a bit different.I think that a company that sells something used "mostly"for hobby reasons should realize that their customers work.So if they choose to be in that business they should be aware of that and set up hours to be available.Can you imagine a hobby store only open 8:00-5:00 M-F.Do you think it would sell many remote controlled planes,cars or electric train acessories?Customers are the only reason a business can exist.If you're in business you have to meet the customers needs and sometimes that means being open when they can come to do business with you.To run a sucessful business you need to know about your customer base.Obviously their customers are hobbyist's and pro shops.I doubt pro shops do enough business with them to make the tooling for the bed profitable unless the hobbyists also buy from them.Having worked in companies that did need to serve customers on weekends I understand wanting to be off but it's not worth it if it causes the company to go under.

Just my thought on it.There may be a hundred or so customers that haven't bought a new bed since they couldn't afford it and the shipping.
I have also had to work every other Saturday or one a month to work for a business because of this.
those are my thoughts too
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
70cst

I wonder if those parts were purchased from some of the mom and pop vendors (and they are still around) if they would be willing to open up on Saturday. My guess is yes. I also understand that most people who have Saturdays off do not want to come in and do a "Good Deed". That is what separates those who are in the business because they love what they do and those who are in the business just because it's a business for profit and have no emotional ties to the business. As mentioned I have purchased from GMCPauls, Christians Classics, and Classic Heartbeat and I bet you a cup of coffee that if I wanted to pick something up on a Saturday they would do their best to accommodate me. You also have the offer of RicksTrucks which symbolizes most of the people and vendors in this hobby. And that is going the extra mile! Does MAR-K have the sole access to those parts or were they the best deal? I can see both sides and both side have valid points...but it still comes down to the mom and pop vendors and as I said we still have vendors willing to offer a helping hand.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
nyncompute

Angry Re: MAR-K rant

Similar thing happened to me. I wanted to go down to L.A. to pick up some parts at the Pomona swap meet. I called ahead of my trip and ask if they (The Truck Shop), would take a credit card. They said they would if it was a purchase of at least $100.00 dollars. I was planning on spending $1000.00 MINIMUM!
I travel the 4 hours, get a room, spend the gas money.. the whole bit. When I gathered up the parts the doofis parts guy says they don't take credit cards. I nicely ask for a supervisor and he says they do take them but someone left the credit card swiper doobie at the store.
I ask is there anything that we can do (such as swap meet prices online, free shipping or at least be willing to give me the goodguy price if I stayed an extra day and visited the store. Nothing..zilch nada. all I heard were crickets.
They said nothing we can do
What D**Ks.. or is it me? sorry for the hijack rant
Old 03-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #21
BigTex

I feel for you on that one nyncompute.... Thats not the way to treat a customer. Some people don't realize the negative spin they get when something like this happens. I for one will file that away in the back of my head. On the other hand, if they had gone out of their way to take care of you, I'd have remembered that too.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #22
rauto13
saving one more

I used to work at a "mom & pop" auto parts store (my dad's) for about 15 years. He lived about ten minutes from the store and I lived about 20 minutes from the store. The store was open from 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday and 8:00 to 12:00 on Saturdays. Almost every weekend someone would either call Dad or me for some part that was "needed" after business hours. We were both willing to go and open the store and help out someone who needed something to keep their vehicle running, so they could get to work.

Now, like I said this happened almost every weekend, for me to wash my hands (always working on some old car), change clothes, drive 10 miles to the store, open up, find the part, take cash, talk a bit, close the store, drive home, change back into old clothes and continue what I was doing took me about 2 hours. I like my weekends and days off, but my Dad did teach me you have to take care of your customers.

What I also found out was every Saturday about 11:30 the store would get very busy, right before quittin time. Then I started keeping the store open by myself from 12:00 to 4:00 on Saturdays to make a little extra money. When I did that, surprisingly enough, at 11:30 there were hardly any customers, but about 3:30, the store would be packed. And then you get the call as you are walking out the door that some guy (15 minutes away) needs a spark plug for his lawnmower and wants you to wait on him (true story).

The word gets around when someone is willing to help out customers and take that extra effort to work around other people's schedule, which is good, but there are some people that will wait to the last minute and expect someone else to put their life on hold, cause they wanted to finish watching their tv show. The people that take advantage of others good nature is what is what spoils it for those who really appreciate a helping hand.

Another issue that came up all too often was that when Dad or me would take that extra effort for customers, some would still go down the street to another store sometimes to save $1.00 on a part. That was probably my Dad's biggest pet peeve. So much for loyalty, he would say.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #23
Rokcrln

Now I have never been to their store or for that matter I don't even know were it is What I do know is when I called them for some trim items I was looking for and told them all I wanted was prices, they told me no problem what can we help you with! After about 20-30 minutes loking up every little thing that I asked for and knowing that I was just phone shopping he toild me it was all saved under my name and if they could help me out in the future just let them know! I was so impressed with this that I went ahead and dropped about $1400 on SS for my truck and it was all top notch!

Would it have been nice if they would have happened to be their on Saturday for you, yes it would have been great! You still spent the money with them because you wanted the best parts for what you needed and that is just what you will get, the best!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #24
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauto13 View Post
I used to work at a "mom & pop" auto parts store (my dad's) for about 15 years. He lived about ten minutes from the store and I lived about 20 minutes from the store. The store was open from 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday and 8:00 to 12:00 on Saturdays. Almost every weekend someone would either call Dad or me for some part that was "needed" after business hours. We were both willing to go and open the store and help out someone who needed something to keep their vehicle running, so they could get to work.

Now, like I said this happened almost every weekend, for me to wash my hands (always working on some old car), change clothes, drive 10 miles to the store, open up, find the part, take cash, talk a bit, close the store, drive home, change back into old clothes and continue what I was doing took me about 2 hours. I like my weekends and days off, but my Dad did teach me you have to take care of your customers.

What I also found out was every Saturday about 11:30 the store would get very busy, right before quittin time. Then I started keeping the store open by myself from 12:00 to 4:00 on Saturdays to make a little extra money. When I did that, surprisingly enough, at 11:30 there were hardly any customers, but about 3:30, the store would be packed. And then you get the call as you are walking out the door that some guy (15 minutes away) needs a spark plug for his lawnmower and wants you to wait on him (true story).

The word gets around when someone is willing to help out customers and take that extra effort to work around other people's schedule, which is good, but there are some people that will wait to the last minute and expect someone else to put their life on hold, cause they wanted to finish watching their tv show. The people that take advantage of others good nature is what is what spoils it for those who really appreciate a helping hand.

Another issue that came up all too often was that when Dad or me would take that extra effort for customers, some would still go down the street to another store sometimes to save $1.00 on a part. That was probably my Dad's biggest pet peeve. So much for loyalty, he would say.
what store did ya'll own? Pryor is full of good people willing to go the extra mile to help you out.... i was born there, lived there, and still have family living there..... i know the mentallity of Pryor folks (and i guess its like mine), but alot of places arnt like that anymore, which at times get frustrating and dissappointing........also when i help someone out and it inconvences me, i never let the other person/s know, just because i dont want them to feel like they're a burdden...
ahh,,, if everyone thought like Pryor folks this would be a nice world indeed...

Last edited by 68 short step; 03-10-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #25
jacobs

Sorry to say, customer service of any kind, automotive or otherwise, is almost a thing of the past. Trying to get help even during business hours is like pulling teeth especially on a product already purchased. I'd like to turn the calendar back about 50 or more years when businesses really cared about their customers.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote