The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #26
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: MAR-K rant

I have a vendor on this board that I use alot, he was willing to meet me at his
shop ON HIS DAY OFF so I could pick up my parts as I was passing through. I
will never forget that, not to mention the increased in orders he got from me.
IMHO customer service like I mentioned is what drives future sales. My $.02
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #27
fourty1

you know the rules going in,,... so what's the problem...
8-5 monday - friday is m-f 8-5..... not wanting to sound mean,..
but at least you can talk to someone, verses a phone menu,...
customer service went the way of most American jobs.....

1967 Chevy 3/4 ton standard bed, 350 cu./400 auto,
w/ 83 - 3:43 rear end...sips gas....

Last edited by fourty1; 03-10-2007 at 03:00 PM.
fourty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
SCOTI

While it would ultimately be more convenient for 68 short step to be able to pick-up a bed on a Sat, I don't really see it as "poor customer service" that they won't open their doors outside of regularly established hours.

It's quality of life. Perhaps their employees work hard all week (during their regular hours of operation) to offer the best they can in customer service & deserve the weekend off to be w/their family or enjoy time for their 'hobby'.

Take a day off from work & drive up w/a buddy or loved one. You'll still save the $$ from shipping costs (as long as the vehicle you're in gets decent mpg) & invest in a relationship w/someone you care about. Win-win.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #29
corn

All I can say is just be glad you have the option of driving to pick up the parts. Where Im at, I have to have everything shipped.

I know how you feel, thats a lot of money & I know you arent saying that they are a horrible business because they arent open weekends. What you are doing is venting & venting is a good thing...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #30
70cst

There is a lot of good that we can learn from this thread.
1) If we want to pick up items on a week end we should ask before we purchase.

2) Some vendors are more willing or able to work with your schedule than others.

3) If you want the best parts that is available than sometimes we will have to endure a few incontinences.

4) Some vendors are open M-F only, some are M-S, and some have flexible hours depending on the circumstances.

5) For the vendors who really take ownership of this hobby, they are more likely to be flexible in their schedules.

6) We must always remember...how many times these vendors get calls asking for extended times to open their stores.

7) Both sides have made good points.

8) We must always remember...how many times these vendors get calls asking for extended times to open their stores.

9) Both sides have made good points.

10) If this is the worst thing to ever happen to us then we will be very fortunate.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 03-10-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #31
rauto13
saving one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
what store did ya'll own? Pryor is full of good people willing to go the extra mile to help you out.... i was born there, lived there, and still have family living there..... i know the mentallity of Pryor folks (and i guess its like mine), but alot of places arnt like that anymore, which at times get frustrating and dissappointing........also when i help someone out and it inconvences me, i never let the other person/s know, just because i dont want them to feel like they're a burdden...
ahh,,, if everyone thought like Pryor folks this would be a nice world indeed...
Ross Auto in Salina OK

It was started by Great Grandad as a gas station in 1924.

And thanks for the compliment bout Pryor people, cuz I are one.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #32
nyncompute

Just wanted to add where I work we not only stay open 24/7, we'll provide our service at anytime regardless of what we are doing or have planned..glad to help
Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
no i dont think they live there, nor do i expect them to.... if it took someone half a day (4hrs) to load a bed, either they are retarted or crippled or both!!
it will take me about 3 hrs one way....im just saying they dont owe me, just it would be a nice thing to do if they would let me come on saterday....
Who`s retarded?If they don`t live at the shop,it takes more time to load your almighty bed than the actual time.They will lose 1/2 of their day off by the time it`s all said and done.Even if it takes less than 4hrs(your number)overall.It adds up to 1/2,or so,of their day off.In simpler terms,they won`t have a whole day off.I can see you`ll never get it.Mom & Pop need time off,too.You have Saturday off,right?You expect them to bend for you for what you want.But,you won`t bend for what you want.They offer an alternative for those that can`t(or won`t)take a day off for their own needs.It`s called shipping.What would your expenses be to run those 6 hours?Can you put overtime in on Saturday?What if you worked 8 hours at time and a half,saved the wear & tear,and fuel cost?Take your fuel savings and add that to your overtime pay.Anywhere close to $200?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #34
cst350

I have been working on my truck for a long time. I never seem to be satisfied with it enough to call it finished. Before the truck there were other muscle cars I worked on since the mid seventies. To me the most important thing is the quality of the product. Our hobby has seen a huge disintigration of quality and an influx of "get rich off the gear heads" suit and ties in rescent years. Mar-k did nothing but help me out each time I called. They questioned me when my facts were wrong and guided me to the right choices. I cannot say enough about the quality of the parts (wood bed conversion and all the SS trim for my '69 SWB). As far as not extending thier bisiness hours, have you ever had a boss that asked you to work weekends doing something that you knew could have been done during the week? Have you ever missed your kids baseball game or dance recital because of work? I say if you want to take your project seriousely, take some time off or pay for the shipping. Don't put it on someone else's much deserved free time. Oh, and dont take it so personally that they actually make a profit. People this talented could be making alot more money in other industries and the only ones who would be out of luck would be us.
cst350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #35
kyull67

I'll let our little friends do the talking.
P.S. I love my Mar-k bed and the sweet crate they sent it in.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #36
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Who`s retarded?If they don`t live at the shop,it takes more time to load your almighty bed than the actual time.They will lose 1/2 of their day off by the time it`s all said and done.Even if it takes less than 4hrs(your number)overall.It adds up to 1/2,or so,of their day off.In simpler terms,they won`t have a whole day off.I can see you`ll never get it.Mom & Pop need time off,too.You have Saturday off,right?You expect them to bend for you for what you want.But,you won`t bend for what you want.They offer an alternative for those that can`t(or won`t)take a day off for their own needs.It`s called shipping.What would your expenses be to run those 6 hours?Can you put overtime in on Saturday?What if you worked 8 hours at time and a half,saved the wear & tear,and fuel cost?Take your fuel savings and add that to your overtime pay.Anywhere close to $200?
Sheesh!!!!!!!! and they call me pissy. Take a chill pill guys---YES it is too dang bad that the working stiffs have to do the work week and then squeeze a life into a weekend. I used to work rotating shifts and had a lot of time off during the weeks and it was great--because ALL of you guys were working and I could do just about anything I wanted to without the phones and long lines of people. BUT good things come to an end. NOW; I just plan a trip and go there on a vacation day or COMP TIME day.

Go get the stuff and let it go, guys....
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #37
Shane
Account Suspended

Sorry ... but I think it's plain ol' chicken$hit of someone to come on such a large internet forum and bad mouth a company concerning their posted policies. It's not their fault that someone didn't read what is clearly stated on their web page concerning their business hours.

http://www.mar-k.com/contact_us_at_mar-k_.html

Sorry, I have to support Mar-K on this one ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #38
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I didn't mean to infer that you were wrong, BUT when I ran the Farm Store I used to have Farmer Geeknoids call me at all hours. If they were worth their salt, then I would help them out, but if they were A$$E$ then they lost BIG. Mar-K is supported as a good company, I have yet to use them.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Pissy?I just laid it out for the one that`s ranting and not taking everything into account.
I failed to mention the posibility of his running into an accident or other jamb-up.Or,a breakdown on his way.There`s always the posibility that someone could come to accomodate him and be hung-up or flat-out stood-up.
This "ranter" made the "retard" comment which stirred me a bit.But with restraint I simply laid it out as plain as I could.He was only showing his lack of comprehension skills by stating that the only reason it would eat a whole in someones day bigger than the actual loading time would be due to them being retarded.
In case you can`t tell,I think before (or as) I type.This guy has publically posted a grievence against an upstanding business that happens to support the very board we type on.It`s great when someone goes out of their way for others.But,anyone that expects it must have been spoiled.The world owes us nothing.I own a business and I am very accomodating.But,I must say,most of those who require it don`t seem to appreciate it and they`re usually the ones that want something for nothing.That type won`t cause me to withdraw my graces.But,it`s something I`ve come to expect.Most people that try to beat the price down,then want extras,have been the hardest to collect from,if not flat out ripped me off.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-11-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #40
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

i find half this post pissy...

Ya know Im not saying this because Mar-k does help support this site, so dont throw that one out next.. but ..
As nice as it is for a vendor to open when it is convenient for you to get there, the coin has two sides. Why don't you just go ahead and take a day off of work and go if it is so important? Your asking people to take time away from their family, loved ones and who knows what all else. Why not take the time off yourself and go when they are open? Do you ask the mom n pop grocery in town to open at 4 am so you can get cake mix?

I'm sorry but opening for someone who needs a part that is an emergancy( starter, fuel pump etc) when your stuck on the side of the road, is a bit different then opening to pick up a part you want.. big or not. I have seen the small town attitude ( folks help each other out, are nice etc) brought up a few times.. we live in a small town and the main thing I see is respect, friendly people and FAMILIES... you respect all those around you, you treat them as you wish to be treated and FAMILY comes first...

Sorry but with my "small town" mentality, I disagree with this thread fully.. if you want the part go there when they are open or ship it..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #41
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Who`s retarded?If they don`t live at the shop,it takes more time to load your almighty bed than the actual time.They will lose 1/2 of their day off by the time it`s all said and done.Even if it takes less than 4hrs(your number)overall.It adds up to 1/2,or so,of their day off.In simpler terms,they won`t have a whole day off.I can see you`ll never get it.
you actually thought before you typed that? and it made sence? .....i would hardly say a self-employed, and self-proclaimed carpenter to be running a major busniess or even minor.....
i know (for the second time) they dont owe me, nor do i expect them to alter there entire existance (what most you are tring to make it sound like), i asked and they said "no", so i schudeled to get it during the week.....
im sure if you changed your attitude and think more of what you're saying/typeing you too could become as good as MAR-K.... but like i said, i sure it wont take anyone 4hrs to load a bed in a truck in 4hrs, unless you're crippled or special----------------------------k.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #42
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

thats it........ quit the pissing match now. Grow up and act like adults. If you can not post without fighting, the logout button is an option.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #43
49studebaker

You go girl!!!!
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #44
chevyboy55

Time to lock this thread yet?
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #45
Mudder

Here's what I did. I was in a same sort of situation a few years ago when I bought my cowl hood. It was in Kansas City. Five hours away. I had a neighbor that has a truck drive up there and get it for me and deliver it for me to the body shop. It cost me just over 100 bucks after buying his gas and giving him some money for his time. He enjoyed doing it.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

I`m going,today,about 75 miles each way to pick up some n.o.s. parts for w314spd,including a big old hood(no charge).I`ll be meeting up with him later this month.But,it`s cuts a major nasty leg around Wash,DC for him coming from GA.It keeps him off mean ol`I-95,too.I`ve seen this kind of help all the time.*

*This post was in no way intended to antagonize anyone,but to support Mudder67`s post.It`s what makes the world go`round.

68 Short Step:I`m glad you worked it out,really.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 03-11-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #47
Billla
Account Suspended

So...if I understand your "rant" it's about them not opening the shop for you on the weekend?

Umm...I suggest that you [delete] this thread.

"It's not all about you, Princess"
- Lone Star, Spaceballs
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #48
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55 View Post
Time to lock this thread yet?
I think I would had, with my reply if it was.. but thanks for asking
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #49
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

I am the owner of Mar-K writing for Mar-Ktech. We have been silent during this exchange but we appreciate the comments, both pro and con about our company and policies. All our customers' needs are important to us and obviously if we do not meet their needs frequently, we go out of business. Since being on this forum we have made a lot of improvements, some subtle and some significant, due specifically to comments and complaints expressed here. As a company we do pay attention.

We struggle daily with the balance between being totally accommodating to the customer and being totally uncaring, and find middle ground that works best for our customers and us. Until a few years ago, we were open for business Saturdays. We occasionally sold something, we met some really great people and discussed their various projects, and I think they liked being able to come in on their day off. On Saturdays we also have been stood up by customers, robbed, had employees call in 'sick', taken bad checks, etc, etc.

At some point we looked at who we are and what is important. We are a manufacturing company that makes a product we love and are proud of. Our focus remains on building top quality products and many believe we do a pretty good job of that. Several dealers resell our product and their focus is on working directly with the customer/user and they do a great job of customer service at that level. We encourage customers who need great one on one service to work with our dealers in their area.

All your comments are important to us and carefully considered. We hope to continue to be your supplier of quality products for your truck.

Mar-Ktech
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #50
RicksTrucks

Great response from the owner. I think that is the key - they are a manufacturer that tries to service the end user the best that they can. But resellers are better set up for end user customer service. Hopefully this is the end of this thread. My take, after reading all of this, is that it has not been aimed at Mar-K specifically, just customer service (or lack thereof) in general which has definitely suffered over the years. I think we should be grateful to those that still listen to their customers and be understanding if there are some things that they cannot economically do for us.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote