The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
davepl

Half a dozen failed windshield install attempts...

An experienced local board member and I tried to install the new glass in my truck 5 or so times yesterday over 3 or so hours with no luck. It never really got close. Glass seemed about an inch too tall for the windshield opening, even though the same size glass came out of there. We tried top in first, bottom in first, both sort of half way in first, all kinds of variations.

What also worries me is the body shop that installed the last one said they broke 2 full windshields before getting a third installed, and then we failed - and I wonder if there's not something weird about my truck?

I measured the glass, it's the exact same size (predictably) as the last two windshields that were in this truck (pitted and wrong tint, respectively).

There's some question about whether the repro trim has a deep enough L to fit the gasket, but we had no trouble getting the trim in and retained really so I don't think it was a factor.

I'm going to have to flatbed it somewhere (no windshield!) that will take it without glass and do an install. Good luck!

I'd give it one more shot if I could think of anything we didn't already try.

Anyone have a cab without glass in it available to take a lip to lip measurement to see if the opening is any different? I can't imagine it is, but I'm curious as to why my truck seems impossible and others are sometimes easy.

Using a '70 Precision gasket on a '70 with stainless.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Trevor

Re: Half a dozen failed windshield install attempts...

Just measured mine and it's 20-7/8"
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
cleszkie

Based on what you describe, and based on the easy installs some others have had, I believe it comes down to variations in the window openings in different cabs. I have heard of people trimming the metal pinch seam of the window opening just slightly to make installation of the glass easier. I have also heard of people grinding the windshield down a bit in spots to make installation easier. However, if any cutting or grinding is done, it should be done a very little at a time.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
davepl

There are a couple of rough edges on mine that I could envision cleaning up, but I don't think they hindered the process any, actually, so haven't done so.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Just measured mine and it's 20-7/8"
Now I'm confused. I measured mine and got the same thing, more or less - 20 3/4. That's pinch seam to seam (by the speaker grille area up to the rearview mirror area).

However, the glass IS LARGER than that at 21 3/16" on all three pieces.

So is the glass really bigger than the hole it goes into? That crazy! But it sounds like all the trucks are like this? What?
Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

I do these all the time by myself , did you Mark the center on both the frame and glass ?are you starting from the bottom ? What size cord are you installing into the gasket to pull it in ? For the inexperienced installer it helps to have 2 helper one on each side of the truck providing downward pressure and maintaining the glass on the center line ,use lots of window cleaner as lube and I it will drop in easy peasy ! Less than 20 minutes . The glass and gasket have to move down at the same time don't attempt to push the gasket down onto the flange and then make the glass follow it , with downward pressure evenly across the top a glancing slapping motion down provides persuasion .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I do these all the time by myself , did you Mark the center on both the frame and glass ?are you starting from the bottom ? What size cord are you installing into the gasket to pull it in ? For the inexperienced installer it helps to have 2 helper one on each side of the truck providing downward pressure and maintaining the glass on the center line ,use lots of window cleaner as lube and I it will drop in easy peasy ! Less than 20 minutes . The glass and gasket have to move down at the same time don't attempt to push the gasket down onto the flange and then make the glass follow it , with downward pressure evenly across the top a glancing slapping motion down provides persuasion .
That's what we ALL said before we met this truck.

Other trucks are trivial. This one is impossible. I wish I knew why. Multiple people who've had great success in the past have had their spirit crushed by this one.

This isn't a case of "How is it it done?", it's a case of "Why is what's straightforward on other trucks impossible on this one?". I don't know the answer. I hope I can get it professionally installed somewhere, because if they fail or refuse I'm looking at driving goggles.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Willie Makeit

If glass was in the hole before, then there is no reason glass won't go back in it. At the sake of sounding rude, it doesn't seem like something is being done right.

-Insert "clothes line" type rope in pinch weld slot in gasket. Overlapping the ends on the BOTTOM of the gasket.
-Soap up the gasket really really well, like dripping wet. I use a spray bottle with 4-5 drops of dish washing liquid then fill about half full of water.
-Sit glass/gasket on the pinch weld on the bottom of opening.
-Have a helper put gentle pressure on bottom center of glass while you pull rope from inside of the truck. Go about equal distance on both sides. 12-16 inches at a time.
-Continue to pull rope, while helper continues to put gentle pressure on outside of glass ensuring the gasket & glass "pull in" to the window opening.
-Top left & right corners can be a bear, but I've found using a small hook pick and being gentle, i can insert hook behind rubber gasket while pulling rope and the gasket will normally fall into place rather easily.
-Once both gasket corners are in place, continue pulling rope to center top of window, then go to outside of truck and sorta "slap" the glass in order to seat it in place.

Good luck.

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 06-21-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Willie Makeit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
davepl

Not rude, except I know the basics and did them. And the guy that was helping (really, I was helping him) has done it before.

When we set the glass in at the bottom, it's so high on the top that it touches the drip rail, and there's now way to "suck" in the top enough to have a shot at the rope pulling the seal over. We re-set it in there and beat it and tried to get it down as far as you can go, but there still doesn't seem to be enough room on the top end.

We tried the other way, starting it with it in on the top, no better luck.

I appreciate the basic instructions but assure you "we did that already". If it was that easy, I would have been done at 6PM yesterday. But if someone has a tip that I didn't already think of, I'm all ears, so fire away!

I guess "more lube" could be an answer, that's about the only thing I see different from our attempt (though we did spray it well with soap water, I didn't vaseline the edges or anything).
Old 06-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Jason Banks

The first time I did one. I had 4(or 5) pair of hands to help. It was helpful to have extra hands holding or pushing in what seemed like every which direction.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
57larry

would having a glass shop do the installation be out of the question?
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
TCCGRIZ

If I remember I will measure mine tonite and let you know
TCCGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Gromit

I have never installed a C10 windshield and so my apologies in advance because probably there is a slim chance that this is any help

But on my VW's the glass will be loose without the trim installed - once the trim is pushed into the rubber (after installing the glass ha ha), that little 1/16th all the way around the window makes a difference.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #14
davepl

I talked to the body shop that sub'd out the install of the glass that was in it (the company that broke a couple trying). Apparently they ultimately had to reshape the glass with a belt sander to get it to fit the opening. Yet the glass was no shorter than the one I'm trying to put in, so where they modified it I'm not really sure.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
summitflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
When we set the glass in at the bottom, it's so high on the top that it touches the drip rail, and there's now way to "suck" in the top enough to have a shot at the rope pulling the seal over. We re-set it in there and beat it and tried to get it down as far as you can go, but there still doesn't seem to be enough room on the top end..
I forgot to tell you that I chopped the top 2 inches before I gave it to you.

Once you get to be the expert, I may come visit you. I have to do this within the next month.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #16
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

My '67 is 20 3/4".
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
Steven R

If it helps at all I just measured my glass at the center it is 21 3/16 and my cab pinch seam in the same area is 20 3/4.

I noticed when I cut out the old rubber that then glass was overlapping the pinch seam around the whole thing.

From what I can tell this is possibly the factory installed glass but I could be wrong. Might just have been a early replacement, the glass is starting to get cloudy in the edges. I know its been in for at least 30 years plus
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
casper71

Check your gasket. I had same problem with chrome on my truck. The channels should be offset to fit window and pinch weld. Some gaskets are not offset and will not work.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #19
davepl

I'm using the Precision gasket that most people swear by as the "only one that works". I'll double-check that they're offset.

Sounds like mine measures the same. I layed the old glass and the new glass on top of one another and the new one is a 1/4" wider but that wasn't the problem, it was height, and they seem the same height.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
irl104

I had a windshield problem as well. A glass installer ordered me a new windshield. The glass installer tried for three hours to put mine in. He ordered another windshield and came back a few days later. The first windshield was 1/2" too tall in height. Brand new production but poorly made. The second one still took about two hours to put in. We used a rope, WD40 as a lubricant, a couple of metal J hooks or T handled dent pullers, a plastic dolly spoon. Put in the bottom first then finished with the top corners last. It was truly a pain in the rear. I used a Precision Rubber gasket that didn't required the outer trim. You might order another windshield to try.
irl104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #21
davepl

I have 3 windshields on hand (2 of which have already been in the truck) and they're all the exact same height as what other people report, 21 3/16ths.

If I have to resort to taking it in I'll let them order their own glass. On top of everything else, the glass I got from Summit has a defect (missing lamination) in the upper corner.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
cdowns

I've found guys have problems installing by using too thick a piece of rope I personally use a thin cord aa little bit over a 1/8 inch thick never had a problem with it doing the windshield by myself with no help same with the rear glass
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #23
TCCGRIZ

Just measured mine it is 20 3/4 " also hope this helps
TCCGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
kcsa75

I don't have any tips but I used to replace a lot of windshields in these trucks when they were still relatively new. As Grumpy said, nine times out of 10 it was easy as pie. But the 10th could be a booger.

I remember one I did on a '72 that took three or four hours. It was a long time ago, but I think I loaded the rubber gasket up with GoJo hand cleaner and finally got it in.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #25
notsolo

Do you have the old gasket? Any way to measure with calipers, the thickness in the critical mounting area's.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote