The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Tail light LED's

So my reverse lights went out and I went to Amazon and bought a pair of highly rated white LED to replace the stock bulb with. OMG....those are super bright and nice for backing up and/or lighting the area when opening lift gate and/or unlocking truck. They are not the 7443's, they are the single filament version 7442? In any case, they all fit in the same plugs and I think 7443 would work in reverse socket, it is different color than the tail, turn and brake sockets, but same basic bulb base. I was curious how much brighter they'd be for the brake light and they don't clip in and seat. I tried in all 4 of those sockets, same result. Backup socket was fine. Today I was told a brake light is now out, sure enough it blew, so I want to get 4 LED's for the turn, tail and brake sockets. Again, to AMAZON, highly rated bulbs, but the comments seem to state they don't seat well in the GM sockets. What gives? Why would they seat in the backup socket, which I think is orange but not in the others which are maybe black? Again, they all use the same base!!

The factory, non-LED's always seem to overheat the factory sockets and turn them black, so I want to go LED to save my sockets. What gives?

Lastly, in a 2012 Yukon XL Denali, will I need the LED resistor to run LED's in the turn signal location? I plan to order a set of two, so I'll likely know tomorrow, but if I need a resistor or flasher or whatever, it would be nice to get it ordered. I'll order the other two once I find out if these fit.

FWIW, the sylvania, O'Reilly, brand is $10 higher and horrible ratings. I figure with AMAZON, I can easily ship back and get money back if they don't work.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:24 PM   #2
EVRLET

Re: Tail light LED's

I’d suggest getting the bulbs with built in resistors. That way, you’re not splicing in the resistor. That’s all I use now for the hyper flash.