The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2023, 06:06 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Traction control/ stabilitrak

So, my 2012 yukon xl Denali is having a few issues. I recently replaced lower ball joint on passenger side, noticed tie rod was a bit loose. Noted. I also have been having a small clunk at times under harder acceleration, been trying to find that, checked grunt driveshaft, wasn't issue. I replaced both front sway bar links. I've also been told front passenger hub is showing signs of wear. Not making any noise that I can hear, so it's been on to list.

About a month ago I took her in to dealer to have her serviced for trans and oil, they did their checkup and came back with the tie rod, both hubs and motor mounts bad. So I finally got around to double checking the mounts and decided I'll pay my other mechanic to do it, too many other things to do and it needs done. I figure I'll tackle the hubs soon, this morning I finally got the tie rod knocked out. I marked and measured and put back very close to where it was, steering seemed on point and didn't notice any alignment issues. Fugue I'll be due for tires going into winter, I'd wait on alignment until then if I can.

Drove a few miles and made a few stops over about an hour period after I replaced tie rod. All good. Parked out front in driveway while I worked in garage on other things. Went back out to drive and traction control/ stabilitrak starts flashing and won't stop. WTH?

I called mechanic to inform him so he's prepared as it goes in on Thursday for the mount. My obd2 won't apparently read those codes. I glanced under and tie rod looks good. Any chance it's tied to that repair? I have a4 post, I just jacked the front up via my bridge jack from the cross member, which I've used before. I only removed the wheel and the tie rod end. It's torqued, etc....

Is it worth pulling back on lift or shall I just wait until he scans it? Could it be the hubs? Is it safe to drive if need be? I didn't notice any I'll effects on my 2 Mile drive just now.

FWIW.....I do most of my mechanics, I just don't always have time and I have dealer service the fluids due to an additive I have installed for added warranty on the front diff, trans and engine. Then I use my mechanic for stuff, I'm just not wanting to screw with or if time is an issue.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
biketopia

Re: Traction control/ stabilitrak

Very well could be the hubs acting up. They get a little rust on them and push the ABS sensor up and away. It doesn't always throw codes but most likely what happened.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Very well could be the hubs acting up. They get a little rust on them and push the ABS sensor up and away. It doesn't always throw codes but most likely what happened.
Mechanic scanned the codes and said it came up as alignment issue and to get it aligned. I am likely due new tires before winter, so I'll spend my focus on replacing the rest of the front suspension and then getting new tires and alignment.

As I think I said above I have replaced sway bar links, right lower ball joint and right tie rod (which I guess threw the codes). The hubs both have some wear, but they are still fine according to mechanic. Truck has 120,000miles. I guess I'll do the left lower ball joint and tie rod when I do that hub. I may just get new upper control arms as well if I'm going to align IF everything else is already going out. They aren't that expensive.....this stuff just used to last another 60,000+ miles!

FWIW....the codes have now gone out and haven't come back, so maybe the computer just sensed the small change and adopted it? Talking with a diesel mechanic friend and he said his wife drove a van they had with the warning, I forget brand NOT GMC, and it fried the computer they ignored so long. That worries me a bit.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
michael bustamante

i say the hubs as well... the centric Ring that the wheel speed sensor reads is in the hub assy.
the steeering and suspenion components you replaced wont throw a code but the hubs and speed sensor defiantly will

Last edited by michael bustamante; 07-05-2023 at 06:19 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #5
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i say the hubs as well... the centric ting that the wheel speed sensor reads is in the hub assy\m
the steeering and suspenion components you replaced wont throw a code but the hubs abd speed sensor defiantly will
I guess I need to order some hubs and find out. It'll be on for one trip but not the next. Heat, rain seem to work into all this, so has to be a failure/wear happening vs an adjustment I would think.