The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #176
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I'll give you $50 if you can bench a NV5600 in..............
Uh... I tried picking one up that fell off the truck... I'll pass. And yes, it fell off the engine... going down the road. By the way, you know what's funny? Take the shift pattern off the knob of an 01 dodge service truck and watch the new guy try to back it out of the shop for 10 minutes.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #177
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Just like you can tell everytime someone misses 5th gear in one when you're behind them. Why are they backing up at 40mph?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #178
ryanroo

Quote:
Just like you can tell everytime someone misses 5th gear in one when you're behind them. Why are they backing up at 40mph?
We had a 12 row corn head on the transport behind our 98 24v. my idiot stepdad decided to rev the engine as we passed the house of a friend. so he slips it in nuetral (47re) and there is a clunk and shudder and no more cummins noise... the tard hit reverse at 35 MPH i laughed real hard. nothing bad happened outside of the corn head flying off its stands on the transport and becoming much more difficult to remove.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #179
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
We had a 12 row corn head on the transport behind our 98 24v. my idiot stepdad decided to rev the engine as we passed the house of a friend. so he slips it in nuetral (47re) and there is a clunk and shudder and no more cummins noise... the tard hit reverse at 35 MPH i laughed real hard. nothing bad happened outside of the corn head flying off its stands on the transport and becoming much more difficult to remove.
Holly wow!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #180
Ackattack

I got the tranny in. I ended up pulling the engine out, bolting up the tranny (still a pain with the engine out) and putting it back in.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #181
Ackattack

I looked through some pictures of OBS trucks and decided that I'll go with 18" wheels. The tires that I'm leaning towards are toyo open country at 285/75/18 are actually taller than their 35x12.50s. I think this combo will look nice.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #182
Ackattack

One issue that I had come up when I removed the cab was that I broke off the two rear cab mount bolts.

So yesterday I set out to fix it. The cab mounts are 2 small disks that sandwich the cab sheetmetal between. So, first I had to drill out the 4 spot welds that secure the cab mount reinforcement plates. The air chisel made quick work of removing the plates. Then I had had to cut off and then drill out the old bolts. Then I welded a new nut on top of the old "captured nut". Finally I put the two pieces in the cab and used a bolt to hold everything tightly in place and welded it back in. Sounds fairly easy, but it took several hours.

After getting the engine and tranny in with the cab on, the clearance between the firewall and bellhousing was too close for my comfort. So I cut out 12 1/4" circles, drilled holes in them to use as a 1/2" body lift Hopefully that will give me enough clearance to allow for engine movement.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #183
sourkraut

Awesome build, will be watching

sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #184
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourkraut View Post
Awesome build, will be watching
Thanks

So last night I had a little time. I installed the front driveshaft. It bolts into place, however I'm not sure if its going to work. I think it is extended a little too far and will most likely vibrate driving down the road, but I'm going to hold off on getting a new one until I can test drive it to see the results.

I did measure for the new rear drive shafts.

Then I set out to modify the transfer case shifter.

First I popped off the shift rod from the transfer case. The problem is the rod is not long enough to attach to the shifter. Here is the stock rod:

After a little measuring, grinding, welding, and then more grinding here it is a little longer:

I had to drill out the little clip thing just a bit since my new rod is slightly larger diameter. Then I installed it in the truck and the shifter works! I do need to modify the shifter itself a little. The way it sits now, it is rubbing on the transmission. This isn't a big problem, but it will transfer vibration/noise into the cab and annoy me, so I'm going to pop the shifter out and hopefully will just be able to bend it a little to clear the tranny.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #185
wwj75c30

what color you gonna paint the truck? black?

73 c20 custom deluxe sm465 14bff parts truck
wwj75c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #186
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwj75c30 View Post
what color you gonna paint the truck? black?
Yep
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #187
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work! It's all the little projects that make these swaps so time consuming. Keep at it!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #188
z-iowa

Nice! Cant wait to see some more progress!
z-iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #189
Ackattack

Quote:
Nice work! It's all the little projects that make these swaps so time consuming. Keep at it!
Thats for sure

Tonights little project: clutch master cylinder

I'm using the Dodge's hydraulics, the problem is that you start with the pedal about an inch from the floor, so there just isn't enough throw in the pedal to do anything So a quick little measurement and it looked like the pushrod needed to be about an inch longer to get the pedal where it would be comfortable.

So I removed the hydraulics and here's what it started as:

Cut the rod near the eye, a little grinding, welding, and grinding and this is what I ended up with:

I put it back in the truck, and the pedal seems like its where it should be, you push it in and it has a good feel. The only "concern" is whether the clutch is fully disengaging. Another thing I won't really know until I get it running. Worst case scenario is I have to buy the GM clutch hydraulic setup and modify it a little to fit in the dodge tranny.

After that I ground just a little on the transfer case shifter and I think I got that squared away.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #190
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

If it doesn't work for you, cut your rod and make it adjustable. Use a long rod with a heim joint if you have to. I'd stay with the dodge stuff if you can. The GM masters don't like life after a while.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #191
Ackattack

Quote:
If it doesn't work for you, cut your rod and make it adjustable. Use a long rod with a heim joint if you have to. I'd stay with the dodge stuff if you can. The GM masters don't like life after a while.
Good idea....hopefully I won't have to mess with it any more though.

I ordered another fuel pressure guage tonight Third time's a charm. The first one I ordered a siver faced electric one on accident, then got a black faced electric one and realized most people are running mechanical fuel pressure guages (that are ~$200 cheaper) so I ordered one of those. I'll have a needle valve to turn it off for most of the time and only open up the valve when I need to know the fuel pressure. Kinda cheesy....but oh well.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #192
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

good thread!!

i keep watching your progress... thanks for posting all of the pics...
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #193
Ackattack

Tonights work: exhaust

First I got the muffler in place and then started on the downpipe (again). There were a few things that changed the angle of things so that's why I had to modify it. So now it all fits up. I did have to do a little "clearancing" to the floor. I am going to take the down pipe back off and put some header wrap on it so I'm not frying my firewall.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #194
Ackattack

So the original GM throttle cable had the wrong type end on it. I found a couple of options to get different ends, but decided to hold off on ordering anything. I pulled the dodge throttle cable out of the old cab and put it in the gmc, and it fits like it was stock! While I was robbing parts, I went ahead pulled the proportioning valve off the dodge as well. I figure since I'm using to dodge brakes (on the axles) this would be set up for them. The bracket that supports the proportioning valve even bolted up to the GMC master cylinder like it was stock. I did cut off the part of the bracket that held the dodge ABS module. Then I hooked up the lines from the MC to the propp. valve. I still need to make some brake lines to finish that job up.

After that I started putting in the interior. Got the carpet and seats in.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #195
Ackattack

A little more progress:

Got the driver's side doors on:

Then I got the the oil pressure sending unit installed with a couple of pipe adapters:

Then I worked on getting the tc shifter installed on top of the carpet:

Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #196
Ackattack

I didn't seem to accomplish a whole lot today, but I spent a few hours on it.

I did get the pyrometer sensor wire running up to the new guage. I tried to work on the boost guage but I couldn't get the compression fitting on the tubing and then lost the fitting, so I gave up on that.

Then I started on the wiring a little. I started off by mounting up the fender and putting on the power distribution block on the inner fender:

The good news is I didn't have to cut the inner fender to fit over the spring/shock tower like I thought I was going to. I did have to loose the washer fluid tank as the inner cooler pipe was hitting it.

After I kind of figured out where things get mounted up, I took the fender back off. Then I came in cause I need to take a look at the wiring diagrams. I combed over the dodges wiring diagram. I figured out what I need to hook up. Now I need to spend some time looking at the GM wiring diagram to figure out where to get the power from and what relays are needed.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #197
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Man I had not checked in on it in a while, she is looking good, it won't be long now if you keep after it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #198
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Man I had not checked in on it in a while, she is looking good, it won't be long now if you keep after it.
According to my spreadsheet I have approx 31 hrs of work left to get it "on the road".

That doesn't mean it will be done, but the major portion of work will be done and I can add the other little things later.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #199
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
According to my spreadsheet I have approx 31 hrs of work left to get it "on the road".

That doesn't mean it will be done, but the major portion of work will be done and I can add the other little things later.
Mine feels like 31 years....

But liking your build. Can't wait to see it rolling too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #200
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post

Are your time estimates always off like mine are? There's always some thing not allowing some thing else to work like you had planned. Haha
1969 Chevy milk truck