The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
msg

66 rear axle, sway bar, suspension questions

I am not that familiar with the mechanics of the truck I have dismantled for restoration, just trying to take it apart and make it nicer as I get to putting things back. Im not wanting to do anything all that tricky just put it back but where I can improve things I will. The inclusion of sway bars has been an interest but Im unsure of which type to purchase and what may need modification. There is also a trac bar that was on the truck that needs a replacement I think. The rubber bushings in the trac bar are all dry rotted and cracked and I didnt know if the type of bar I have is something to replace entirely or replace bushings on it. Ill post a pic of what it looked like before the tear down.

So is there a sway bar recommendation anyone has for this 66?
And is the trac bar I have replaceable?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: 66 rear axle, sway bar, suspension questions

I bought an adjustable one from Summit Racing, and it worked great. Felt much better than the stock one especially after the stock one split in half while I was driving. Felt like drifting without losing traction due to the body swinging back and forth while the wheels stayed straight lol
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
PGSigns

I don't run a rear sway bar but I did go to the Early Classics super track bar that goes over to the trailing arm. It does make a difference on the feel of the truck. Has your truck got a front bar and what other plans for the suspension do you have?
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I bought an adjustable one from Summit Racing, and it worked great. Felt much better than the stock one especially after the stock one split in half while I was driving. Felt like drifting without losing traction due to the body swinging back and forth while the wheels stayed straight lol
Yikes on the split! I dont know much about what that trac bar really does but man I wouldnt want it shearing off on me. Good to know on the adjustable from Summit, thanks. I had someone before mention that mine was bent but I assumed that was by design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I don't run a rear sway bar but I did go to the Early Classics super track bar that goes over to the trailing arm. It does make a difference on the feel of the truck. Has your truck got a front bar and what other plans for the suspension do you have?
Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, I'll look up the Early Classic super track bar. I assume mine is best to replace. Didnt know how tricky it would be to swap out a completely different shaped one. From what Im reading there are many folks who havent seen a big improvement by putting in the rear sway bar but for the front Ive heard it makes a huge difference. I have everything right now off the frame, in fact nothing is currently completely assembled on the front end. I have over the last few years taken what looks to me to be a stock front end and take each part and have it sandblasted and painted with epoxy primer.

Along the way I took pics of every bolt i removed just about so I would know how to put it all back together. Somethings I didnt sandblast due to the wear and figured Id need some new stuff. The front sway bar was the only modification to the way it was I had thought about, but if there some other things big improvement ideas a newbie can do that wont be too tricky or break the bank Im open to suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
msg

Here is a pic of what it looked like during the tear down
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Yikes on the split! I dont know much about what that trac bar really does but man I wouldnt want it shearing off on me.
The trac bar locates the axle in the center of the truck and limits the amount of side to side movement. When mine snapped, I was turning on to a side road so thankfully I was going slow. When I went around a corner, the body started to swing from side to side over the axle. I knew there was a really bad problem when the axle moved far enough to one side and forced the driveshaft to rub against the trailing arm cross member. Leaf spring trucks don't need a trac bar because the 4 mounting points of the two springs keep it straight.

If you are planning to do any type of lowering, the adjustable trac bar is probably a good thing to get that way you can get the axle centered at whatever ride height you go for.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Faelmartinez85

Quote:
Whats the part number for the trac arm you purchased on summit?
Faelmartinez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faelmartinez85 View Post
Whats the part number for the trac arm you purchased on summit?
I honestly do not remember what the part number was. I installed it well over a year ago, and I am currently 2 and a half hours away from the truck at college. IIRC, the bar was 24" and it was adjustable on both ends.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
msg

Been a while on this but on the search for a track bar replacement for the one I have in the original pic in the 1st post.

For a standard height/stock is there a track bar I should search for? I saw this one when searching summit, but it says lowered coil spring suspensions only.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-6572datb

Ive tried Classic Parts and only see a conversion kit. I dont know if they still make bushings for the one I have even if I wanted to go to the trouble of sandblasting it.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
cwcarpenter98

I think that was the same one that I used on mine. I never went back to check on what the part number was that I used though

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

Performance on Line also sells them.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
theastronaut

An 80's F150 rear sway bar is 95% bolt on, the metal brake lines on the axle need to be bent slightly to clear it, and you'll have to make brackets to bolt the end links to the frame. Much cheaper and better fitting than the aftermarket sway bars.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
cwcarpenter98

Any more info on the F150 bar? I wouldn't be completely against running a ford part on my rust bucket if it performs well

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
vince1

I'd straighten it out and put in some replacement bushings. If the track bar breaks it will be on the ends so don't mess with that. I don't think you can get original bushings but these might work. I've got some on order for my truck.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bushing,10416
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
theastronaut

All I know is that I bought an 8.8 axle off craigslist and it supposedly came from an 80's F150. And that the guys I bought it from thought I was crazy for loading it on the roof rack on my mint Conquest TSi

I've been meaning to check out the F150s at LKQ to see if I can find another.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #16
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
All I know is that I bought an 8.8 axle off craigslist and it supposedly came from an 80's F150. And that the guys I bought it from thought I was crazy for loading it on the roof rack on my mint Conquest TSi

I've never seen that before Looks like I'll be checking under some old fords next time I go to the junkyard.

Do you know what diameter the bar is? Also, does it perform well with the front bar that you have?

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
AcampoDave

I bought the same kind of bar as in post #2 from Early Classic Enterprises. Summit is great, when you know exactly what you want, but sometimes it's worth it to pay a few more bucks to buy from people who are actually involved in the classic truck hobby.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
msg

Quote:

Dang Astro, thats amazing and bold on the transport. Ive used my 96 Accord coupe to transport the rear axle on my truck to the sandblasters years back, and also every 66 c10 fleetside panel minus the hood, and cab. Had to rent a moving truck for that and the frame. Thanks for sharing the F150 info too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I bought the same kind of bar as in post #2 from Early Classic Enterprises. Summit is great, when you know exactly what you want, but sometimes it's worth it to pay a few more bucks to buy from people who are actually involved in the classic truck hobby.
Thanks Dave for the reply and I agree, if i were to buy one Id go with what folks can tell me for sure will work. For now though Ill try taking the track bar I have and blast it and replace the bushings for $10. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...83&jsn=8&jsn=8

The sway bar will be a future addition, just bought some belltech shocks for replacements to the oldies along with much more to come, so Im trying to control the wallet hemorrhaging.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #19
PGSigns

One other option is to put the ECE super track bar on it or any of the other long bars that go to the trailing arm. It does a lot to lower the roll center and makes a big change in the rear roll.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #20
66c10Steve

The PO of my truck put on this trac bar: http://pbfab.com/63-72-fully-adjustable-trac-bar

I can't really comment on how good it is yet since I'm not on the road but just thought I'd send out the option for ya.

Check out my 66 C10 build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546694

Look here, I also built a canoe: http://stevescedarstripcanoe.blogspot.com/
66c10Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #21
demian5

I have front and rear sway bars on a 70 and 60. Also have adjustable track bars on both. On the 60, the track bar bolts to a bracket on the opposite side trailing arm and then to the frame bracket. On the 70, its just a replacement one at the factory locations.

I also have a 64 impala and the best thing I did was a adjustable track bar.

Nice to be able to center the wheels in the wheelwells.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #22
theastronaut

Quote:
I've never seen that before Looks like I'll be checking under some old fords next time I go to the junkyard.

Do you know what diameter the bar is? Also, does it perform well with the front bar that you have?
I didn't measure it and I don't have the truck anymore, but it worked well with the CPP front bar, at least for a daily driver that you're not autocrossing. The front tires rubbed the fender when cornering hard so I never really pushed it hard enough to see how well it was balanced at the limit of grip. Felt great for daily use though. Moving the rear shocks outboard of the frame helps tremendously too, I'd do that before adding a sway bar.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
I didn't measure it and I don't have the truck anymore, but it worked well with the CPP front bar, at least for a daily driver that you're not autocrossing. The front tires rubbed the fender when cornering hard so I never really pushed it hard enough to see how well it was balanced at the limit of grip. Felt great for daily use though. Moving the rear shocks outboard of the frame helps tremendously too, I'd do that before adding a sway bar.
Thanks for the reply. I've seen the shock mod, but not sure how that would work with a stock height truck. I doubt I'll be lowering the truck any time soon

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport