The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
phraza

Need advice: Dual Master Cylinder 64 C10

Hey guys,
Done a heap of searching but can't pinpoint what I need.

I have a 64 C10 with drums all round and a single master cylinder.

I'm upgrading to discs in the front and I'm on the lookout for a dual master cylinder. I want to keep it manual non-power.

What do I need? Any master from a 67-72 C10? Plus a proportioning valve too?

Was looking on Rockauto and there are few different masters to get, none specify exactly if they manual disc/drum or not:

71 dual: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...29934&jsn=1475
70 dual: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...29833&jsn=1588

And then get a prop valve separately from somewhere else.

Or get a kit like one of these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-mcpvs-2
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-g0571

Note: I'm in New Zealand so there aren't many parts stores around here that sell what I need, rockauto is really cheap shipping here too.

Thanks in advance!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
phraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Need advice: Dual Master Cylinder 64 C10

If you go with stock parts, you'll want 71 or newer (70 and older were 4-wheel drum and the master cylinders are not the same). The summit links will work also.
Keep in mind that original did not have an adjustable prop valve. But nothing wrong with adding one instead of just a distrib/brake warning block.
Personally, I'd buy a 71-72 C10 as in your very first link above (don't buy C20 or higher, they are different also...) NON-POWER brake master cylinder from a local parts store and add in an aftermarket adjustable prop valve and plumb your own lines. If you think you'll ever add a booster, now is the time to do it (and I'd recommend it), Captainfab sells a great bracket that tucks everything in close to the firewall. Just a thought (and you'd need a 72 C10 POWER brake master cylinder).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If you go with stock parts, you'll want 71 or newer (70 and older were 4-wheel drum and the master cylinders are not the same). The summit links will work also.
Keep in mind that original did not have an adjustable prop valve. But nothing wrong with adding one instead of just a distrib/brake warning block.
Personally, I'd buy a 71-72 C10 as in your very first link above (don't buy C20 or higher, they are different also...) NON-POWER brake master cylinder from a local parts store and add in an aftermarket adjustable prop valve and plumb your own lines. If you think you'll ever add a booster, now is the time to do it (and I'd recommend it), Captainfab sells a great bracket that tucks everything in close to the firewall. Just a thought (and you'd need a 72 C10 POWER brake master cylinder).
Thanks for your advice man, I just ordered the CPP kit through Summit (Summit has reasonable shipping to New Zealand) it was a bit pricey ordering the master and prop valve + mounts etc all separate. Should get it in a week and then get stuck in installing it!

Cheers

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 09-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
jocko

Sounds good, hope it goes well. We're spoiled with shipping ease here (and I'm about 30 minutes from Summit's TX hub... ), I can't imagine ordering a bunch of stuff from New Zealand and then realizing I forgot one special $1.25 bolt when it all finally arrived. I bet you get very good at being thorough and making sure you have every base covered before clicking "buy it now"!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
slepysal

When I had drums all around I used a master cyliner of of a 1967 drum/drum Impala. Worked great till I swapped out to disc brakes.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
bdnga

I think I installed a dual chamber non power brake master cylinder from a corvette. - Brian
Attached Images

bdnga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
slepysal

Sorry posted above before I finished............. When I swapped to disc up front I went with a disc/drum 1977 vete master cylinder with power brakes

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 09-20-2019 at 11:38 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Sounds good, hope it goes well. We're spoiled with shipping ease here (and I'm about 30 minutes from Summit's TX hub... ), I can't imagine ordering a bunch of stuff from New Zealand and then realizing I forgot one special $1.25 bolt when it all finally arrived. I bet you get very good at being thorough and making sure you have every base covered before clicking "buy it now"!
haha yea, I usually have to do good research before I buy something. Summit and Rockauto are prob the best for shipping internationally. The CPP master I bought last week should arrive this week, so pretty quick!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 09-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Sorry posted above before I finished............. When I swapped to disc up front I went with a disc/drum 1977 vete master cylinder with power brakes
Nice, I ended up getting the CPP master/prop valve kit. Should bolt straight up. Just need to run a couple more brake lines as I was on a single master before.
Cheers!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 09-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnga View Post
I think I installed a dual chamber non power brake master cylinder from a corvette. - Brian
Do you have a proportioning valve too?
Cheers,

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here