The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
dmsir

New to this, have some wiring questions

Recently picked up a 1970 chevy k20, it only has the 13 slot tube fuse panel, it has a "stock" am radio in the dash but no wires to it (or the cigarette Lighter) and there are no speakers. I'd like to get some tunes going(nothing heavy duty looking at a 4 speaker and head unit kit for $129) as well as putting on some extra accessories (cab lighting, bed lighting Etc) How hard would it be to rewire the truck with an updated panel? would i have to rewire the whole truck at that point? or should I just add a fuse panel in the engine compartment and run wire from there? any help greatly appreciated

Edit: I should add that i looked for the radio and cig lighter wires to see if they were tucked away but i didnt see any
dmsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
sduckworth13

Re: New to this, have some wiring questions

Put you in a AAW Classic Update kit and be done. It might be a little overkill for a stock truck but chasing down loose connections and fixing PO hack jobs will be a thing in the past.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:04 AM   #3
dmsir

Ok thanks, a new complete wiring harness was my first thought for that reason, i guess then my next question would be how much "teardown" is required to rewire? ive never dealt with electric in autos on this type of level, is this a "weekend" project or is it more involved than that? I would hate to get halfway through tearing stuff out and realize im in over my head
Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsir View Post
Ok thanks, a new complete wiring harness was my first thought for that reason, i guess then my next question would be how much "teardown" is required to rewire? ive never dealt with electric in autos on this type of level, is this a "weekend" project or is it more involved than that? I would hate to get halfway through tearing stuff out and realize im in over my head
It's super easy to tear it all out. Probably take you 10 minutes. I fortunately was able to take my truck over to my stepdads since he knows more about electricity than I do. I have read that guys with little electrical knowledge have installed a new harness in two days. The AAW harness does require a voltmeter to be swapped into the cluster which wasn't that big a deal. It took maybe 5 minutes to swap the ammeter with the volt meter. I also went with a 12 SI 1 wire 140 amp alternator.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
dmsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
It's super easy to tear it all out. Probably take you 10 minutes. I fortunately was able to take my truck over to my stepdads since he knows more about electricity than I do. I have read that guys with little electrical knowledge have installed a new harness in two days. The AAW harness does require a voltmeter to be swapped into the cluster which wasn't that big a deal. It took maybe 5 minutes to swap the ammeter with the volt meter. I also went with a 12 SI 1 wire 140 amp alternator.
Posted via Mobile Device