The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
skip99

Black headlights

Have any pics of black headlights , with or without halos and turn signals, ?

Are leds worth the extra money ?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Black headlights

personally, I think LED's are worth the money. white light instead of pale orange light. makes things brighter/crisper/sharper.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:45 AM   #3
mr48chev

I think they are too freaking ugly to put on any AD or TF no matter how they light up the road. Real trucks need real headlights.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think they are too freaking ugly to put on any AD or TF no matter how they light up the road. Real trucks need real headlights.
Yep, you are a brother from a different mother. LOLOLOL

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
jweb

I have seen a few people use the headlights meant for newer Jeep’s. Like the type made by JW speaker. https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/j...ad-headlights/

If you are just looking for a brighter headlight, you can use the Cibie brand that use a modern bulb. You would also want to add a relay to get the best results. https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-.../dp/B008DQV88Q

Depends on which style goes with the theme of your build.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
personally, I think LED's are worth the money. white light instead of pale orange light. makes things brighter/crisper/sharper.
Being a professional driver with over 4 million miles of nighttime driving experience with every type of lighting system imaginable, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in this subject.

Brighter headlights don't mean better visibility. Lighting the road in front of you brighter is much like being in a brightly-lit room and trying to see outside into the dark night. A brightly illuminated road surface actually makes one's pupils constrict, limiting night vision. Yes, it may be brighter, but no, you can't see better. I've driven trucks where guys raved about their new driving lights, only to find that the road surface was so bright that I couldn't see anything beyond the light pattern - kinda like standing next to a campfire and trying to see into the dark woods.

Brighter headlamps are nothing new; we've always had the technology to make brighter lights. It's just that nowadays people seem to have lost the common sense to realize that brighter lights cause severe vision problems for oncoming drivers. Too many people install the latest high-tech lighting systems, then never bother to get them properly aimed. I've seen motorists followed off freeway exits and their new expensive lights smashed out by irate drivers.

Whiter lights are also an illusion that persists from the old days of automotive generators which made the lights brighter/whiter when you revved the engine. Kelvin-rating (the scale of lamps from yellow to blue) is nothing more than a color distinction. If whiter light were better, they wouldn't make freeway street lamps yellow/orange sodium bulbs.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-03-2021 at 06:34 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Our city is replacing the sodium lamps with LEDs for the street lights. It's true that the human eye responds best close to the sodium lamp color, but the real reason was because they are cheaper to run than the old mercury lamps. The LEDs are white, though, giving a more natural color to things.

I put the relay kit from LMC on my truck to brighten the headlights up, but they don't seem to shine any brighter than what brand new lights may have looked like.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
joedoh

I always liked how these looked. the cross is really prominent in photos, but not so much when in person. it lets the black darken the reflector and doesnt hurt the light output.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Mk1...-/331988909007

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #9
layinrocker65

I’m currently looking for LED headlights for my 53. The issue I’m having is that from what I have put on other trucks like my 74, the lens sticks out a bit further than the standard headlights. It wasn’t an issue on trucks with headlights that are set back into the grills but with AD trucks having the headlights being the furthers point out, I do t want it sticking any more pst the bezel than stock. I really like the look of the light output of the LEDs and the significantly less draw it has for the light performance. No extra relays needed.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #10
mr48chev

The best light I got at night on my truck was with Ciibie H-4 lights with 55/100 bulbs in them. Properly adjusted they put out a good usable light on low beam and reached down the road on high far enough that you couldn't outrun them at 100+. It was also usable light and not the light that was too bright that Miriclepieco mentioned. The cars and trucks here in Washington are terrible for having out of adjustment lights that go everywhere but where they should. When I lived in Texas we had to have state inspections every year and they checked the aim on your headlights and that was usually how the mechanic inspecting the car made a couple of bucks when they adjusted the lights. You didn't have cars coming at you with cockeyed lights though.

Still no matter how well something might work I don't want it on my AD or my 71 if it is just flat ugly.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Being a professional driver with over 4 million miles of nighttime driving experience with every type of lighting system imaginable, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in this subject.

Brighter headlights don't mean better visibility. Lighting the road in front of you brighter is much like being in a brightly-lit room and trying to see outside into the dark night. A brightly illuminated road surface actually makes one's pupils constrict, limiting night vision. Yes, it may be brighter, but no, you can't see better. I've driven trucks where guys raved about their new driving lights, only to find that the road surface was so bright that I couldn't see anything beyond the light pattern - kinda like standing next to a campfire and trying to see into the dark woods.

Brighter headlamps are nothing new; we've always had the technology to make brighter lights. It's just that nowadays people seem to have lost the common sense to realize that brighter lights cause severe vision problems for oncoming drivers. Too many people install the latest high-tech lighting systems, then never bother to get them properly aimed. I've seen motorists followed off freeway exits and their new expensive lights smashed out by irate drivers.

Whiter lights are also an illusion that persists from the old days of automotive generators which made the lights brighter/whiter when you revved the engine. Kelvin-rating (the scale of lamps from yellow to blue) is nothing more than a color distinction. If whiter light were better, they wouldn't make freeway street lamps yellow/orange sodium bulbs.
Good stuff!

Brian

Old 01-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
51 3600

Back in the day a good friend of mine mounted a pair of aircraft landing lights on the front of his new ‘67 Mustang. If he was unsure of the road ahead, he’d flip them on briefly to light up the night. (He needed to at the speeds he drove.) Woe be the oncoming driver who neglected to dim his lights. Probably thought he was being beamed up by some alien spacecraft.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #13
G&R's57GMC

Back in the day my buddy installed air craft landing lights in place of the high beams on his 70 Challenger.
The drivers side beam mounted so the light pattern was horizontal and the passenger side vertical .
Worked great on lonely Hwy 95 in Nevada he could see a mile down the road .

Of Course totally illegal, But used in the right situation they are safe addition .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #14
28TudorAZ

I run the white LED lights for headlights. I really like them at night. They don't seem too bright to me. I think its more of a personal preference. Everyone does not have the same vision.
Attached Images

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
layinrocker65

This forum always cracks me up. Someone wants to see pics of black headlights and get an opinion about the investment in LEDs, then people comment telling the OP that they are ugly and old trucks should not have modern(arguably much safer) technology. Pretty sure that's not what he asked.

Dapper Lighting www.dapperlighting.com makes stock looking lights and blacked out lights. They are more expensive but American Made and have options for all of their lighting options. They are out of Novato CA.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #16
mr48chev

KC daylighters mounted on the splash apron where you would normally mount fog lights did the same as aircraft landing lights. Doing that depends a lot on the roads you normally drive at night. If you run over the pass to the south of me you need some good headlights at night. If you go over Chinook pass on highway 410 in Washington at night in the summer you want good lights as there are a lot of elk and deer on the road at certain times of the year and quite often the traffic is light at night as most drivers want to see the scenery going over it.

On the roads around here there are a high number of people who wander around at night in dark clothes. You need good lights to see them and pick them out on the side of the road and they often walk down the middle of the road at night.

Going from the road along the river up to the community where Hogfarm lives is a challange in the day time and I can just imagine running that road at night. Roads in that area have bends so tight you can see your own taillights.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post

Thank you! I've been telling people this for years. Lights that focus a brighter spot further down the road can help. Putting more light in the area directly in front of you is like using brighter lights in the fog or snow. It's almost impossible to drive when folks with too much or too bright lighting are heading toward me. And when the lights aren't adjusted correctly it's even worse.

Quote:
This forum always cracks me up. Someone wants to see pics of black headlights and get an opinion about the investment in LEDs, then people comment telling the OP that they are ugly and old trucks should not have modern(arguably much safer) technology. Pretty sure that's not what he asked.
Here's the thing: Most aftermarket LED "headlights" don't provide a correct pattern of light that's usable for the driver. Instead they provide a lot of light in front of the driver's face. The reflection created makes it harder to identify objects in the distance. So while the technology itself may be safer, the implementation is not. Wagner is invested real money in designing LED headlights. Wagner lights are substantially more than the $55.00 specials found on Ebay. They provide a great pattern with a nice, distinct cutoff. There are several other brands that do well and have DOT certification.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #18
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
I’m currently looking for LED headlights for my 53. The issue I’m having is that from what I have put on other trucks like my 74, the lens sticks out a bit further than the standard headlights. It wasn’t an issue on trucks with headlights that are set back into the grills but with AD trucks having the headlights being the furthers point out, I do t want it sticking any more pst the bezel than stock. I really like the look of the light output of the LEDs and the significantly less draw it has for the light performance. No extra relays needed.

These will work. These are on my 52. https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-H4-...AAAOSwY3VejP0G Then you just buy the H4 LED's.

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133

Last edited by 28TudorAZ; 01-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #19
captn6

your truck your decision get what you like not what everyone else will built mine the way I wanted it some like what I have done some say it's ok just make it yours
captn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #20
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by captn6 View Post
your truck your decision get what you like not what everyone else will built mine the way I wanted it some like what I have done some say it's ok just make it yours
I have absolutly mades this truck mine, or my wifes, lol....everything is hand made....looked at thousands of pics, hated everything, only actually saw 2 pics of trucks with black lights though, so finally decided on having a set built ...black chrome, projectors, and wiring amber halos for turn ...different, looks great and one of a kind...for now...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #21
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
I have absolutly mades this truck mine, or my wifes, lol....
my wife has a sayin'. everything of mine is her's and everything of her's is her's
yes mam

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #22
mr48chev

Back in the early 70's when I was just out of the Army, just married and living in Texas you had to have your car inspected every year. The way most inspectors made a little bit of money off the inspection was to adjust the headlights so they were correctly aimed and install a new set of wiper blades. At that time the mechanic made about a dollar actually doing the inspection. The good was that you seldom met anyone on the road with cockeyed headlights. I don't know if MiraclepieCo Runs or ran up 97 to Yakima and past my house but around here headlights are out of kilter more often than they are aimed right and lifted 4x4 trucks always have them aimed to hit you right in the eyes or aimed off up in the brush on the side of the road. That has a lot to do with how well you can see at night with any rig.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #23
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post

Dapper Lighting www.dapperlighting.com makes stock looking lights and blacked out lights. They are more expensive but American Made and have options for all of their lighting options. They are out of Novato CA.
It's like we are in a garage drinking a beer, we are going to toss out ideas, that's what friends do.

Brian

Old 01-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's like we are in a garage drinking a beer, we are going to toss out ideas, that's what friends do.

Brian
^^^It's the entire purpose of enthusiast forums in my opinion. I say we're "friends that have never met". If you lived down the block or around the corner, sooner or later one of us would stop by to say, "Nice truck!" and the conversation and possibly friendship would begin.

Yeah, we'd likely argue about politics or something else eventually but the common enjoyment of the trucks and cars in general would bring us back.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 PM   #25
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Agreed, The led into the older headlight all seem to look like an alien.
Now if they made them and they looked like a regular head light , I would gladly up date to them.
Our newer vehicle with led headlights it nice to drive at night.
Was odd at first driving it, as there was a sharp line where the light is bright and then drops off fast. Like from road to 5 feet up was one brightness, then within a foot or less higher, almost no light. (lo beam) and they still blind oncoming vehicles.

Last edited by ChevyRacefan; 01-15-2021 at 12:55 AM.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote