The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
Mains52

Foxbody Rack n pinion anyone else have one?

So the rack n pinion I snagged from the goodguys swapmeet a couple years ago is from a foxbody 87-93. It came with a MII rebuild kit so I figured it was for an MII. I had to look up the part number because I discovered the inner tie rods had been cut off and I was unable to have enough threads to reach my spindles. So after that long winded explanation . Have any of you used a foxbody power rack on your trucks?
TIA
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Foxbody Rack n pinion anyone else have one?

I'm finding that some Fox body racks also fit T T bird and that may be what you have. That was from poking around on Rock auto and seeing what a rack for an 80 V8 Mustang also fit. Some say they work for several rigs some have a smaller group of applications.
That leads me to think that the same things you do with a T bird rack would apply to the Fox rack. Offset mount bushings and what ever they do to the tie rods.

The bushings shown on Amazon but they are from Speedway https://www.amazon.com/T-Bird-Offset.../dp/B01MZE1T72

The reason for running that rack if it is one of the same ones as the T bird is that it works better with the Saginaw pump.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

I think almost all MII kits use the Fox body type of rack. I have a TCI custom IFS on my truck and this is the rack I use, https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB3...+steering+rack
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #4
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I think almost all MII kits use the Fox body type of rack. I have a TCI custom IFS on my truck and this is the rack I use, https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB3...+steering+rack
Awesome info! Thanks
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
mr48chev

With the Fox body or T bird rack you shouldn't have to use a pressure restrictor in the pump as you do with the MII rack.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

I didn't have one of those valves to start with. I found the steering was really fast and twitchy. I decided to put one in and I was glad I did. It slowed the responsiveness of the steering just enough so that it lost that twitchiness.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #7
dsraven

I believe the rack that came with my MII kit years back was a t bird rack.
either way, if the inner tie rods were cut off you need to have enough threads to safely attach the outer tie rods and do toe in adjustments. the tie rods may have been cut off because the IFS was going to be used on a vehicle with a different track width. with that said, you will need to ensure the tie rod pivot point is in the right place in a line between the upper control arm pivot and the lower control arm pivot point. this will help stop bump steer. really, you could use a rack from anything if those points are in the right spot and the rack center line is inline with the steering knuckle from side to side.
there is a IFS geometry write up on the heidts site, in the catalogue under tech tips or something, that explains what I am talking about.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote