The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #276
Dinos63
chevy only

Re: Project: Recycle

NICE WORK KAT!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #277
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
8115 works really well for things like this. being lazy, I also used it to fill trim holes on a '94 Buick Roadmaster I had once upon a time. It worked great.....
Off topic, but do you feel that it is stable enough to use on trim holes? It seems like it might come back to haunt you later.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #278
m6z

nice

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #279
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Off topic, but do you feel that it is stable enough to use on trim holes? It seems like it might come back to haunt you later.
If you use a metal patch on the back, it will stay. There were probably at least 20 holes on each door. I think using the 8115 was probably a better fix, as you didn't have to worry about warpage. It's funny now, but we used pennies on the backside (since they were hidden) on the holes, and cut metal patches to fill the opera lights on the pillars and the hood ornament hole. I had the car for a couple of years after that, and there was not even any minor cracking at the repair.

The instructions say to weld the replacement panel at the ends (depending on the type of adhesive bonding material used). I don't think it replaces welding completely, but used properly it works well. There are a lot of OEM applications as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #280
ratty 46

I just spent the last 45 minutes reading the build process/progress & all I can say is very well thought out .... awesome job.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #281
SCOTI

I went by the shop today. The truck has the doors hung & is just sitting there waiting on glass. The glass guy has what he needs; we're just waiting on windshield seals that I was told I'd have by Wednesday. I got the 'cab kit' w/all the door & cab weatherstrip needed for assembly.

I grabbed all the door hardware & brought it home. After work tomorrow I plan to thoroughly clean everything & see how many of the existing parts I can re-use (I got hit w/2K in unexpected expenses in the last week so no power windows for now).

I sourced the cab insulation (Hush mat) & should have it early next week. I still need to order a carpet kit but I can @ least get started prepping for the interior re-assembly. No final decision on the gauges but still leaning heavily toward an aftermarket 6-gauge set-up in the OE cluster bezel.

I sprayed the air-ride control panel w/some VHT wrinkle finish paint. It turned out decent & I'll possibly use that finish on more items before it's all said & done.

I'll also be calling some local sandblast places this week & see if I can swing getting the chassis parts uniform. It makes the painted parts look so much better . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #282
67cheby
67cheby

WOW, just found this one AWESOME......
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #283
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
.....I'll also be calling some local sandblast places this week & see if I can swing getting the chassis parts uniform. It makes the painted parts look so much better . . .....
I thought you were going to powder coat all the parts. What happened there?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #284
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I thought you were going to powder coat all the parts. What happened there?
Quote:
(I got hit w/2K in unexpected expenses in the last week.....)
A new dryer & replacing the entire service panel for power supply to the house wiped out my extra-cash/ truck funds.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #285
Hart_Rod

Quote:
A new dryer & replacing the entire service panel for power supply to the house wiped out my extra-cash/ truck funds.
Sorry to hear about that. Powder coating is over rated anyway, .....

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #286
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Powder coating is over rated anyway, .....
I know he's got some powder coating money stashed somewhere.........he's just being frugal. There's nothing better than dropping off a part and picking it up a couple days later all nice and fresh with some color!

So, have you picked the truck up from the body shop yet?

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #287
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
I know he's got some powder coating money stashed somewhere.........he's just being frugal. There's nothing better than dropping off a part and picking it up a couple days later all nice and fresh with some color!

So, have you picked the truck up from the body shop yet?
Nope... The glass guy was going to install the new F/R glass there @ the shop vs. me having to re-load the truck & bring it to him. Unfortunately, the cab seal kit I was supposed to get 'Wednesday' (last week), has still not arrived.

I did bring home the door glass & regulators over the weekend to get them cleaned & prepped for re-install. But, if it wasn't for bad luck.... The drivers side regulator has to be replaced (worn regulator shaft & broken spring/locating tab for the regulators operation) & both pass/driver side vent window frame have rusted through the frame channel. Now I have to find these parts or????

I'm @ a stand still beyond that as the shop is still off limits for working on chassis related stuff. I can't drill, grind, or work because stuff is on or against my frame/tools or the entire area is wet/washed down from chem spills. I wanted to get the motor/trans installed to check the trans c.member off the list.... Too much 'stuff' in the way of my stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #288
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
... both pass/driver side vent window frame have rusted through the frame channel. Now I have to find these parts or????
Scoti

I may have a set of these laying around. I will have to look this weekend. They may need cleaning/painting, but should not be rusted. I will see if I can find them. If I do find them, you are welcome to them.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square

Last edited by aggie91; 06-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #289
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Scoti

I may have a set of these laying around. I will have to look this weekend. They may need cleaning/painting, but should not be rusted. I will see if I can find them. If I do find them, you are welcome to them.
It's weird that mine are rusted. I'm going to see if the curvature of the frames is similar to alternative years. If so, I have some vent glass assemblies from a couple of 67-68's.

I'll be making a phone call today if I don't have some glass seals by 11:00a.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #290
chev-obsession

this is a really cool build scoti!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #291
SCOTI

Update. . ... Fresh front & back glass is installed. Bad news is the rear gasket is not co-operating & bunched up on the lower 90° corners. He tried to work the offending areas but the soapy residue was limiting progress. He's going to give it a day or two to dry out & work it some more. He's an 'old school' glass guy that's retired but likes to keep busy w/side work. He's confident we'll get the wrinkles worked out.....

I'm still trying to find the vent window frames (both sides on mine are rusted through in a different area each side). The window seals/rubbers should be here early in the week to start re-assembly on the door guts.

The cab insulation arrived, but it came w/the silver/foil liner vs. the black liner that I wanted. We'll get that exchanged next week & should have some pic worthy progress!
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-26-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #292
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Nice progress SCOTI!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #293
SCOTI

Not much progress.... I pulled the vent window glass from their respective frames to investigate the possibility of 'patching' the rusted areas of the frames. The amount of force it took to remove the glass tweaked one of the frames pretty bad as the rust was really bad.

I'm not considering the new re-pop parts. Almost $300 (each side) w/clear glass & chrome trim (I need tinted glass/black trim). No way I'm spending that kind of money for frames I'll have to refinish. I am watching e-bay for a set of vent windows plus the guys I purchased the rear window/cab section from most likely have what I need. But.... they're an hour away if/when I can align schedules so I'm considering options.

I did get the 8pc door seal kit (perimeter door seals, glass run channels, & glass wiper strips) & the vent window rebuild rubber kit. I'll also have a set of Stewart Warner gauges by Friday & the pic should give you the basic layout idea .
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-30-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #294
SCOTI

One step forward, two steps back.

I went to the shop on Friday afternoon & inspected the rear glass/seal concerns. No improvement . . . .... The glass guy came out & worked on the pinched area that was @ the lower, outside corner on the pass side. He was able to remove the 'pinch' but the result was a fairly significant 'bulge' in the seal. I would be trading one less than satisfactory result for another.

We discussed options & decided it would be best to remove the glass & re-try installation. Upon removing the glass & seal, we found the seal split in the area where the problem was occuring. I also took the OE small glass & put it against the large glass to compare the lower corners. It appears he can remove a little more material around the corner while still sealing well. This will hopefully help prevent the seal from wanting to bunch-up in the tighter lower corners. We'll find out Monday morning.

I did get the gauges & like them alot! I also will try & patch the vent window frames & hopefully same some $$ by not having to purchase new/different units.

Everyone have a safe Independence Day!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-03-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #295
greg65

I have two factory bbw glasses for my project. Not sure if pictures would help but I would be glad to take some for you. Your truck in looking awsome.
1993 mustang gt

BUILD THREAD:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=336653
greg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #296
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg65 View Post
I have two factory bbw glasses for my project. Not sure if pictures would help but I would be glad to take some for you. Your truck in looking awsome.
Would you happen to have a sbw glass you could compare with? A pic w/the sbw on top of the bbw glass to view the difference (if any) on the corners would be ideal. I'm just guessing they're prob very close in shape.... it would be nice to have confirmation.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #297
greg65

Hope these help. If you need any more pictures let me know.

I was in Palestine last month for a job interview. The trip was way too short. Maybe next time I will have enough time to see some cool Texas truck from the forum.
Attached Images

1993 mustang gt

Old 07-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #298
SCOTI

This pic is exactly what I needed.

The custom piece he cut has much sharper corners vs. the OE bbw. I did that same over-lay 'test' & the bottom corners were much different on my test; yours look very similar. The ones I have are prob 5/16" different @ the corner when aligning the edges.
How much was the sbw glass hanging over the side/edge?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #299
greg65

I put the sbw glass on bottom and marked it with a sharpie. I come up with 5/16 at the middle.
1993 mustang gt

Old 07-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #300
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg65 View Post
I put the sbw glass on bottom and marked it with a sharpie. I come up with 5/16 at the middle.
Hhmm.... That was my estimate for it being different (my measurement was w/the side & bottom edges square/even). I guess its closer to what it needs to be than I thought. The plan is to shave about 1.8" off the corner on the pass side; hopefully that does the job.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist w/this!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.