The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Is Dawn Soap really so good that it cleans about

anything and everything?

I wonder? what about othere soaps ,,are they mssing that ingredient that Dawn has to make is so good it cleans everthing ?

I used it to clean up oil from the pavement out front of our house next to the sidewalk where the wifes brothers truck leaked it every time he came to visit ..

After many times lathering the big ol spot ,,it finally started looking like I was winning the battle ..but what really worked the best was let time go by and it now looks pretty good ..
Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Is Dawn Soap really so good that it cleans about

They use Dawn to clean oil off of sea birds after an oil spill so that makes it a winner for me .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I wouldn't say it cleans everything but it does work really good.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I wonder about this also. But Dawn has been my go-yo dish soap for years. I keep it at my utility sink along with Fast Orange. I don't even use the Fast Orange anymore for oily greasy hands. Dawn works way better. I keep a little bottle of it with my house paint supplies to wash brushes. I have a thing about taking care of good brushes and how many years I've kept them nice... like 15-20 years. Dawn makes that easy. What's great is for as good as it cleans it's known for being a mild soap as far as hands go. That's why it keeps my brush bristles subtle. And why it's safe to use on about anything that can get wet

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
They use Dawn to clean oil off of sea birds after an oil spill so that makes it a winner for me .
Well, sure ,,I think it is great that cleaned the feathers of the birds ,,and is gentle.. but there are other things besides the birds that I am referring to that I need to clean around the house and garage . which takes more than gentle to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I wouldn't say it cleans everything but it does work really good.
I stated it that way because of advertising of the usages of Dawn soap and social media getting on board with how great it is ..

My question is more to the point of thinking maybe that other soaps clean just as good.. I have used other soaps before to wash my rubber floor mats and I did not see any difference.. and you are right Dawn would of done just as good had I had any at the time.

I have a neighbor up the street that really really likes Dawn detergent, he is the one that told me to use it for the grease spot on the street ,,but afterwards he says he has stocks in the company.. I laughed when he told me that..
Old 08-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I use Purple Power for tougher and Lestoil or Pinesol for the toughest stuff. Then it's lacquer thinner. I don't know why Dawn got to be "the name". I'm sure other dish soaps can do just as well. I just chose Dawn probably because I had a nice girlfriend named Dawn and liked the blue color (never tried the other colors... gimmick I figure). But after using it for other things I was really sold and when I like a product I see no need to keep shopping around. I reward them with my continued business

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Boog
laying low

Dawn works as good as any liquid dish washing soap I’ve ever used. Recently i bought a blueish off brand and it will hardly even make foam. Useless. Tossed it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I've found brake cleaner works really well for cleaning up oil spots. Hopefully doesn't ruin concrete, I've used it in the garage and on the driveway a lot the last 20yrs and haven't seen degradation. Never found anything that 100% gets rid of it but it's helped to fade oil spots significantly.

I'd always heard the "green" dawn has some magical cleaning properties to it, people swear by it. I didn't see anything special about it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
weq92f

Dawn is our goto as well around here. But...there's another player...

Greased Lightening.

This stuff is an excellent cleaner too and can get oil stains up off the driveway as well as go into the laundry. That's right.

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
67C10Step

I'll tell you another thing Dawn is good for: I keep a one gallon pump up sprayer with a Dawn/water solution in it for killing wasps around the house and pool. After getting myself into trouble killing wasps with some carb cleaner that happened to be in a nice boxwood in our landscaping I went looking for an alternative other than the expensive cans of wasp spray.

It will knock them down quick and they are dead within a minute of it hitting them. And you can still use it to clean up your other greasy stuff and have it premixed!
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
truckster

Powdered Tide is really good at cleaning oil spots. But one of the most successful things I've used is just water in a pressure washer.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Willie Makeit

NASA has a cleaning spec for flight-hardware that is written around both the original blue Dawn detergent as well as lemon-fresh Joy detergent.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Well it's not working for me.....I set a bottle of dawn in my shop and it didnt clean anything ...shops still a mess..maybe I have the wrong color...haha...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

Well didja take the cap off? Doh!!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Well it's not working for me.....I set a bottle of dawn in my shop and it didnt clean anything ...shops still a mess..maybe I have the wrong color...haha...
you bought blue. To get any work done you need red
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Well duh, you were supposed to hand the bottle to your wife
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

The only thing I would not recommend using Dawn for is a replacement for the dishwasher soap. Don't ask.....
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
The only thing I would not recommend using Dawn for is a replacement for the dishwasher soap. Don't ask.....
Ha! My youngest son did that once!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #19
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Ha! My youngest son did that once!
It was almost as bad as my son microwaving one of those cup of soup deals without putting water in the cup.....oh man... i can still smell it. At least with the dawn in the dishwasher the entire kitchen and part of the living room was clean... work free... kinda
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Greased Lightening.

This stuff is an excellent cleaner too and can get oil stains up off the driveway as well as go into the laundry. That's right.
When my parents were living in FL, someone gave them tickets to some PGA event, so he, mom, my wife and I went to see, stayed for the last hour or so, then left. On the way out, some guy in a box truck was giving away samples of Greased Lightning. It was the end of the day, he was offloading it, handing people boxes of samples. I grabbed one for each of us.

That stuff works! But the one thing I'll tell/warn you, and I would love to know why this happens, but ... I used it to clean a plastic bin, bare-handed. sprayed it in, rubbed it around, I didn't read anything warning not to touch it.
That stuff made my hands smooth and shiny, almost like they were coated with Elmer's glue. Very weird.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #21
blazer2007

for oil stains on concrete i found a u tube vid using kitty litter and a brick and grind it into the oil stain.I s working on my 20 yr. oil stain but I will try some Dawn and see if it works better with the grinding of litter and a brick
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #22
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I don't know what kind of concrete you guys have on your driveways, but if I spill dirty engine oil (for instance) I put the oil absorbing stuff on it and then sweep it up after it soaks awhile. If there is still some oil there, I dump a little more absorbing stuff on and grind it to powder with my shoe and leave it for a bit. It always takes up the oil.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #23
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I mis-spent some of my youth kicking around the oilpatch, and I ended up on a platform off Huntington Beach for a time. One morning, there was a little sheen of oil drifting away from the rig. Probably no more that a quart of oil all together, but the pusher, he was rightly freaked out about it. He got us to run a couple water cannons at it, then ran to the galley and come back with a case of Dawn. Had us run the Dawn into the streams of water. Said it was the best thing for making that oil sink and disappear, and sure enough, it did just that.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #24
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Well duh, you were supposed to hand the bottle to your wife
CG you must be one brave man.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #25
mongocanfly
Post Whore

maybe that's what I did wrong...
boog ,I didn't take the cap off..
68c15,i bought the blue,,,not red
and CG, I don't have no wife to hand it to..could you send your wife over here with a bottle of red dawn?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-20-2019 at 12:29 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote