The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
'72customdeluxe

Stock Y-pipe

Anyone have pics of a stock exhaust set up/y-pipe on a truck? Preferably small block 2wd, but please post any. I'm trying to get an idea of where the Y-pipe ends and how crappy the merge looks. I've been on a torque trip lately, trying to get the most bottom out of this old 350 as it won't breathe up top anyway. Manifolds and a small exhaust should help this. Walker still makes a factory replacement 2" into 2.5" y-pipe which is why i started thinking abou this. My current 2.25" downpipes off of themanifoldsare crushed to about an inch at two or three points, so 2" mandrel bent initial pipes are a performance upgrade for sure. The only other modifications are a nice cotton gauze velocity stack air cleaner (sounds and looks cool ) which is alot better than the stock baby snorkel, one step higher main jet, and a nice hei with some good performance components. I'm getting a mech advance curve kit soon as the advance curve is way lazy. After the factory Y I would run a single performance muffler of some sort then out the left under the step. I'm thinking the factory manifolds and y-pipe would get the tune spot on because that's what the factory tuned the carb for, am I making logical statements?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Stock Y-pipe

I don't have any pictures, but the stock y pipe doesn't have any real merge to it. It's really almost a t where one pipe meets the other nearly perpendicularly.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
'72customdeluxe

That sucks, in the Walker diagram it looks to be a beter merge than that. I have a model c10 and it shows to be a t merge like you describe.. Maybe I can have them order it a O'reilly and not actually BUY it if it sucks when it comes in. The manager just rebuilt my carb and is cool with me. Or I could use the downpipes and weld in a nice Flowmaster merge in welding class... Dunno what i'll do. But I know a crappy merge can murder performance and sound like crap. Maybe I ought to stick to a custom single or dual set up
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Davetopay

If you are thinking of a true dual set up, I have the LMC dual kit with stock rams horns on my GMC. It breathes fairly well, is made of VERY heavy gauge aluminized steel, is very close to true mandrel bent, and with the super turbo style mufflers that came on it sounds nice, but doesn't rattle the neighbor's windows.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
'72customdeluxe

Yeah, I don't want to deal with a "universal" kit. I know it's meant for c10's, but they have to fit many configurations. Plus I don't like packs or turbos, don't want exit out the rear, and it has no crossover. I Like custom fitted welded exhaust, dumped and hidden or out the side before the tire. Not sure what i'll do now. I want to help torque so a 2.5 or 3" single with a good merge and stock manifolds seems to be the way to go. I wanted headers but they are a general pita and the carb tune is right with manifolds. Quadrajets are a pita and I don't want to deal with mine too much like I would have to with headers Especially without having a wide-band to really know what's going on with the air/fuel to get it right. Any opinions on what I should do for a torque based exhaust for a stock 882 headed 350 wheezer?