The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Denee007

My '59 Apache

I'm finally getting around to making a build thread. most of you know my '59 Apache. Bried history; I bought the truck from a lady here in Houston, kind of a stressed sale. The truck had already been painted a burgundy metallic with pearl. Very pretty in the sunlight! The truck was already painted and it has had the power front disc brake conversion done~ one thing less I have to do!

This is the day that I bought the truck. Here it is being loaded and soon to be at my home across Houston. One thing that can be seen is this photo is the left rear wheel being setback a few inches.

I had gone through a process of getting the motor running, but being a 230, it just doesn't capish with the truck. Though it does run now, I'm just not going to be happy with this motor and tranny.

I've been moving very slowly due to a reoccuring back problem, but I think I'm slowly coming out of it, but will be looking into a means of brains over brawn utilizing lift, maybe even making a small lift that will pick up smaller items. I've got an idea in my head and will post it as time goes on. Bascially will be just a smaller version of a full lift.
I have yet to order the repair metal for my radio~

This is the truck after I had repaired the left spring and installed a 2" lift, but I think that's all going to be changed out in the near future.
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Denee007

The doner

Yesterday I met the most wonderful and interesting fellow out in Alvin, Tx. I was referred to him by another guy I met on CraigsL looking for a complete motor. He directed me to Sylvester which has a '72 Impala with 42k original miles, which runs great and he states this will be perfect for my project. He showed my his '59 Apache fleetside swb with a 327, very nice. He said he'll take me through the process of getting my truck outfitted with everything possible from the doner car. He's also going to bring the car to my home about 50 miles away, then when I"m completely done with what I want from the Impala, he'll come get the remains of the car! Can't beat that! I paid a 1000 for the car or the parts that I need. I was going to drive the car home,but I felt kind of uncomfortable driving it such a long way across Houston.
He has acres of old cars, some restored, some on the way. He does it as a hobby. I"m so pleased to have met such a fellow!
I plan to pull the motor out in the near future and start replacing necessary seals, clean it up, paint it pretty and set it off to the side. I also plan to use the rear axle as mine has 1" travel in the pinion(eek!), and he said to use the AC~ "it will fit!" he says cause he's done it! How exciting! That's it for now~ ; ) dne'

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
MrTucker

Re: My '59 Apache

I wish my project started out that nice!
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Denee007

; ) I don't know if I could have tackled a full fledge restoration! There's more to these old trucks than meets the eyes! my '67 Mustang was a handful, so maybe they're not as bad as they seem! My husband asked me "how long", meaning till we get to drive it? at first I told him a year, but now I'm thinking 2years. I'm not in a hurry! It's a long term project! If I finish it, I'd be looking for the next "whatever"!! I'f I had a larger area to work, I might like a full fledged project~
I know Mr. Tucker, you'll get there!! and it will be super!!!
dne'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
I wish my project started out that nice!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Denee007

In the meantime while waiting for my doner car, HF had a 4th of July sale with an additional 20% off to boot! So I picked up a 2 ton crane, 1000lb engine stand, 450 transmission jack, hm, even some left hand drill bits!
The smaller lift is actually a hoyer lift like I used to use in physical therapy for lifting patients, rated at 600lbs, small for odd n end things without having to pull out the 2 ton, I put a hook on the end of it vs. what you see there! My back has been giving me problems over the years so having to use brains over brawn more than ever. The man called me last week about delivery of the doner car, running a little late, but I'm still organziing my garage, and there's no hurry anyway, but am kind of excited to start dismantling the doner and storing the parts I need from it, and then start pulling the motor from my apache~ then that should get me rolling for the next several months!; )

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
pgf545

Looks like a good score. I am guessing you are on the north side of Houston. I am down south not to far from Alvin. Good luck with your project.

Bernie
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
MrTucker

I have that same shop crane - it's not bad, could use some better casters though...

Used it to totally dismantle my truck a couple weeks ago all by myself

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
FFredo

Getting new tools is "almost" as much fun as getting new parts.
Truck is looking good, like someone already said "I wish my truck started out that nice"
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Denee007

yes, the casters are quite pathetic~ just rolling around the garage on its storing mode(folded up) doesn't like to go in any direction that I want to go or is like a stubborn mule and doesn't want to go anywhere!
I'd like to find some better casters, haven't looked for any, but I would like to lower the crane somehow~ the crane sits rather high IMO. Yes, the tools are fun! I'm sick! lol

Wow Mr. tucker, you're getting after it there!!wow! ok, now I think I will shop for some casters ~ they're probably pretty pricey I bet! lol
thanks ya'll!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
MrTucker

on a smooth, flat shop floor the caster would probably do fine. but on my rough textured driveway that was slightly sloped downhill it proved to be very difficult.

I cant imagine new casters would be too pricey. I wouldn't mess with it until you use the crane a couple times.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Denee007

Hey Bernie! I'm West of Houston, like Beltway 8 and I-10 area. I've been to Alvin a few times looking at trucks~ seems to be a hiding spot for old classics, trucks in particular! ; ) It's not all that far away, 45 min to an hour or so. That's where I'm getting my doner car from is in Alvin! small world for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Looks like a good score. I am guessing you are on the north side of Houston. I am down south not to far from Alvin. Good luck with your project.

Bernie
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Denee007

fabricating fun!

Update on the impala: the guy called me last week and said he just hadn't had the time to get over here, and I said I'm in no hurry at that time. Gee, I hate bugging the guy for the car~ He's very nice to offer to bring the car to my home, but do you think that's just taking advantage of a situation. I told him I'd send a wrecker out, or I'd even pay him the going wrecker fees. It's not really a money issue. Anyway, I'm prepared and ready to start tearing into that impala.

Having a little fun with fabrication and actually having to "Think!" lol In its normal form, it's rated at 600lbs, and I can remember using a hoyer to lift some pretty large patients probably weighing pretty darned close to that! Pretty scary I tell you! The patients would say<" you sure this little thing is going to hold me up???" frantically! never had an incident, but sometimes the cradle would start swinging~ eyahh! but maintain a smile on my face! lol

I modified that hoyer lift you can go back to scene #5 to see what it looked like originally, but I still can hook up that thing on the end of my boom. I wanted the smaller lift to be able to help me install seats, get the tires down from my wall mount for storing my mustang cragars/tires. In the photo the little crane is lifting easily 2 complete wheels, and this thing rolls easily! I'm so thrilled that I won't have to use brute strength! The back part of that seemingly little lift weighs about 75lbs so makes a nice counter balance! I made the boom adjustable and though it goes out over the wheels, the back part keeps it from tipping, but common sense? ya'llve heard of that or else you wouldn't be able to work on an old truck! ; ) I even thought about making a place for some of my workout weights as additional counter balance? Eh, I'll never get that carried away!

I think I'll call Sylvester and see what's going on, I would never want to impose on anyone~ I'd rather keep him as my future buddy~!
I'll keep posting let ya'll know what happens.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Denee007

Update~

hi, sorry it's been a little while, but I'm still here!
I lost more sleep on buying this '72 Impala for the motor/ tranny, driveshaft, rear axle, and finally did it! Mistake? only time will tell! ; )
My oldest brother rode out to Alvin, Tx where the car was, he drove, and I followed. It was about a 50 mile trip. All went well until the muffler fell of, no biggy~ I brought floor jack, stand, tools and more tool and duct tape! The 350 motor ran fine with the stock 2 barrel carb, the 350 tranny shifted well too and no particular noise from the rear end. It supposedly had 42k original miles, but I don't think so!

I spoke to my engine man, and he said bring it to him and he and I will tear into it! he overhauled my '67 mustang 289. Really nice guy! I'm going to keep it stock including the 2v carb. I'll drop the tranny off to my tranny guy this week also!

The rear axle I'm just not so sure about, I think I'll go ahead and pull it. It appears to be about 1" wider than the rear axle on my Apache right now. I just figure I'll remove all the current welded on stuff and weld on what I want.

This is just demonstrating my hoyer mini lift to do stuff to save my back! it's a great thing!

Tomorrow I'll be taking all the bolt on stuff off of the motor and get it ready to go to Herbs shop. I'm not sure when he'll want to do it, he's very busy.

I do plan to order an fake motor? to mock up the fitment for the motor in the Apache.
ok, it's been a great weekend! I hope everyone's had a great weekend!; )
dne'
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Denee007

engine!

Went to my engine builder today to see my engine~ we discussed intake manifolds, carbs, valve covers. The valve covers in the photo were not for this motor, just used as an example. I did like the polished aluminum with the Chevy logo. WE did talk about the possibility of a serpintine belt setup~ he has a friend that sells brackets for every make an model; more than likely has a serpintine belt setup for my engine; if not, I'll just go with the basics. I was sure I was going to go with the 2v carb/intake, but I like the looks of the polished intake!

My 350 tranny was picked up a few days ago by a really nice younger man which owns two shops in Houston; his manners were~ well, just made my day with his refreshing splash of someone from years ago! I called him today to check on it, he'll be finished tomorrow. Decision on this is Lokar or shift on the column(automatic). I thought the column from the Impala would work, but will look into it a little more closely soon.
I'm not sure if I need any more pieces from the Impala(doner), and I'd like to get it out of my garage so I can begin pulling the I6 from the Apache to start the cleanup of the engine compartment, and install of the PS steering gear and possilbly a mono leaf front spring to lower the front about 3".

; )
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Kim57

The engine looks nice. If possible I would use the valve covers in the pic. I know they are center bolt but maybe they make an adapter.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Russell Ashley

You are making great headway with the truck, but your truck looked so good when you got it you were ahead of many of us from day one. I vote for some aluminum valve covers, not those black ones, but either way the engine looks good. Keep up the pics.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Denee007

Hey Kim, I asked Herb if there was a way to make this type work~ he said no. : (

Thanks Russel~! I'm sure I"ll be going with the Alum VC's! ; )
Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Denee007

my engine is home! ; )

I'm so thrilled at how nicely my engine came out! I think I'm going to have to REALLY clean up the engine compartment! It's just a simple engine, boiled out, turned the crank, honed the cylinders at the machine shop, new balancer(other one was coming apart), obviously new intake(lesser expensive but looks great!), an edelbrock carb is up on the shelf. The 350 tranny is also overhauled and sitting patiently for me! lol The motor overhaul was 1420.oo and 300.oo for the tranny, so I think I'm sitting pretty good! I think he gave me break on the engine~ he also made an engine for my '67 mustang, and I consider him a friend nowdays! Herb builds an engine a day and ships em out all over the world!

Now I just need to figure out what to put on the front of this engine. Of course a waterpump(duh), I have the factory power steering bracket/pump, the AC system will be coming with a Sanden compressor and mounting on the passeger side and an aftermarket bracket for the Alt will be on the drivers side~ So I guess that about covers the front of the engine!

now to get that darned Impala out of the garage! I saw Orrie said something on a thread about that~ going there to see what he said! ; )

Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
Kim57

Nice and shiny, looks good.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #20
Denee007

I'm not making very good progress on my build, other than having things done, like the engine, tranny, ordering the AC, but~
I did get the chrome grill from a nice man out of California! It was hanging on his wall for 25years and finally he said he put it up for sale. The story goes he bought the grill for his GMC, but it was the wrong grill, so again, he just hung it up on the wall.

It wasn't a steal, but an OK deal, but it's an orginal, so it has some history and a neat story to go on the front of my Apache! I paid 200, but another 90 in getting it here. IT has the usual loose rust on the backside, but I think thatwill clean up ok and get new lense and bulbs, polish the chrome and put new CHEVEROLET decals, and should look great!
dne'

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
Rude Dude

You are making great progress, sometimes you have to leave it alone, never let it overwelm you. Remember it is a hobby and learning experience when it is not fun than take a break.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
I'm not making very good progress on my build...
lol, you've made more progress on your build in the last couple of months than I have in the last couple of YEARS!

Keep it up!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
Denee007

Yes, ,but Mr. Tucker, you've started from scratch, a major undertaking, and don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this! Once this Impala leaves MONDAY(I hope I hope!), then I can really get going on it. I'm not in a hurry to finish. When I had completed my Mustang, I didn't know what to do with myself! Of course I drive my stang now and then, but there's something about the hobby; doing the work, thinking, problem solving, mingling with the good folks on here, etc., once my Apache would be done, I'll be in the same pridicament as my Mustang. THen I probably would need a break for my back's sake and enjoy driving the classics I own, then really clean my garage! I feel better now! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
lol, you've made more progress on your build in the last couple of months than I have in the last couple of YEARS!

Keep it up!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
OrrieG

No then you can buy an AD and go a different direction, like SGTUSMC, slam and bag it, etc. Me I already have he next two lined up, 64 Chevelle (current DD) then a 50ish Willys Wagon converted to a woody, first real car (my grandmothers) I learned to drive on back roads on fishing trips as a wee lad.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
Denee007

You know, funny enough Orrie, my second car in high school was a '62 Pontial lemans, rear transmission, neat car. I would like to have another one for sentimental sakes(it was my grandmothers). I found one for 8k completely restored, but that wouldn't be any fun already restored! lol I'm sure I'll think of something after this Apache! Something smaller. But I'm trying to talk Gary into selling this home and moving to where we can have a really large workshop to store our personal cars and a workshop large enough to what I want! Cramped space does take the fun out of it a bit.; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
No then you can buy an AD and go a different direction, like SGTUSMC, slam and bag it, etc. Me I already have he next two lined up, 64 Chevelle (current DD) then a 50ish Willys Wagon converted to a woody, first real car (my grandmothers) I learned to drive on back roads on fishing trips as a wee lad.