The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
ChevyDude

Fired my painter....

After all this time and a lot of good money I paid this guy do you think he could finish and paint my inner fenders like he said he would....That would be a big Hell NO!!! So drove down to his shop walked in...saw my inner fenders sitting on the shop floor where I'd put them a year ago, paint can with my name sitting right above them. Didn't really say much of anything just grabbed a fender one at a time and put them in my truck then went back in his shop one last time and grabbed the red paint can with my name on it and headed out with him Yakking "What are you doing..... That's my paint...blah blah blah.... Just stopped for a sec turned around and said "If you can't paint them, then someone else will''.... Jumped in my truck with both inner fenders and "MY" can of red PPG paint and headed out!!!

I will never tell anyone whom asks...who painted my truck. I will never reccommend him...NEVER. Can you tell I'm felling like the pissed off side of town??

This has been coming to this for some time now and I have found another painter that is going to finish the very small last bits. Inner fenders go to him in the morning.

Just venting.

Alex

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-20-2006 at 04:08 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Fired my painter....

It's frustrating finding and dealing with body shops now days. Most seem to be into the wreck only quick turn around business. It's hard to find one that will do and complete jobs like ours on time. Sorry to hear it got to that point. Hope this next one works out much better.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
ChevyDude

Honestly I'm just glad to have my fenders back. The new painter comes highly reccommended and I am friends with his newphew. I just know it is going to be a much better arrangement.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-20-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
powell72

Good for you, I know you were telling me how frustrated you've been with him. I've had problems like that with paint shops, machine shops, chassis shops.....you name it.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
ChevyDude

Yup...Kinda felt good just to have my "wrong color painted" inner fenders back in my possesion...and the paint.

Just another hurdle in lifes highways.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
va_tlc

that was a great way to show him he didnt have the upper hand chevydude, and yes a good honest painter is hard to find,, guess im pretty lucky my brother does all our painting, he doesnt paint for a living jus side jobs, so for the price i get charged i just cant rush him, kinda be like bitin the hand that feeds my car frenzy .. good luck with your new guy
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Welcome to the world of "CUSTOM AUTO PAINT AND BODY"!!!!
It only gets worse
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

And everyone here wonders why "GQ" has never been painted yet
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak
Welcome to the world of "CUSTOM AUTO PAINT AND BODY"!!!!
It only gets worse

No sir...it will not get worse...that is one thing I can guarantee 100%. The painter doesn't do what is agreed.....I'm outta there....No more extended extended extended waiting....nope not never again.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-20-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
And everyone here wonders why "GQ" has never been painted yet

I really don't think that's the reason GQ hasn't been painted. You know if you did get her painted up you would have a new found love for her...that for sure!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

I know what its like too man!, My 72 shortbox was supposed to be august last year, then it wasn't so i told him its almost winter anyway, have it done for april, here we are just about the end of june and i pick it up this weekend!
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
Jeffs65GMC
4 headlights > 2

And that is why I do all my own work right there. I refuse to put my trust in others when I'm capable of doing it. If I want it done faster, then I can just work on it more...no one to blame but myself.

1989 Jeep Wrangler (currently torn down, will return again)

1998 Jeep Cherokee (daily driver)
Jeffs65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Green Machine

I could write a small book about my paint/bodyshop fun over the years, but most of it would not be fit to post here ! Don't get me started - too expensive, too slow, too sloppy, too lazy, too busy, too inconsiderate, etc etc !!!
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

i rattle can painted the complete truck bed of my 85,
my son was shaking them while i sprayed..20 cans of color, 8 cans of clear,
we were both as high as jap spys.. but i gotter done.!!!

don't be afraid to try something, if it's already broke it can't get any worse

glad to hear your getting it done

Last edited by rage'nrat638; 07-12-2007 at 07:03 AM.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 AM   #15
el curioso

"I think they offer 6 week painting classes at the local community college" Thats what a local body and paint shop told me, so I told them they do dont they got in my truck which might I say started right up after six weeks of just sitting there, well I start next week. And I started to strip all the moldings faster than that shop ever even thought about looking at it.

If it doesnt make sense it's because im tired fustrated and mad at that jacka$$.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
blaserman

If you are in Westminster MD I know of a shop donw here in Glen Burnie that the owner does a lot of old and custom paintings. He is not that expensive but does great work. Let me know if the other painter does not work out and you want his name and address.

Art
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #17
BigMike

I think I have an obligation to somewhat defend the industry (to a point) because I used to paint. I painted for 20+ years with a couple different shops, but mostly on my own. Most shops will not do completes or restorations because there is really no money in it. I know here in California you have to have permits and licenses, buy thousands and thousands of dollars in painting equipment, pay for ever increasing material, very high rent and pay high wages for decent help. The quick insurance jobs are what keeps the doors open in most places because that is where the money is at. A body shop cannot survive very long doing only restorations unless you are VERY well known (Foose, Boyd etc...) and charge 10-30K to do it. That is why most restorations take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, they work on it when they know they have enough to pay all the bills for the month.

I would guess that most completes are being quoted anywhere from around $1200 up to 8K (depending on your area). That can be easily accomplished by doing 6-8 very quick and easy insurance jobs in 2-4 days (depending on the amount of employees). To do a total takes way more time to do it right, especially if there is a lot of body work and/or panel replacements to be done. That is why any shop that does completes will do the insurance jobs and they will take priority.

BUT, on the same token, if you are promised a specific timeframe and the shop continues to not meet them, you do need to go elsewhere. I have only seen 2 shops (I worked at one) that have any organizational skills whatsoever. Some are soo busy, they don't know what is what. It is sad but it is also reality. These are usually the same guys that can do a killer job, but takes them forever to do it. It is bad business to continue procrastinating, usually shops get away with it because once customers get their car back they are pleased with the way it turned out, and kind of forgive it for taking forever.

I think that shows like Overhaulin and Pimp My Ride has really set unrealistic expectations and people think they can have a total resto done in 7 days...Ain't happening. I think Foose said that he has 45 people to get it done in 7 days working VERY long hours...granted it is a total resto, but still. He has hookups with the sandblaster, powdercoater, chrome and interior guys to have it done immediately. Pimp My Ride just throws them together, half of the cars they ever did look like Stevie Wonder did the body work.

I completely feel for you ChevyDude, it IS hard to find a good painter that is true to their word and MAYBE have one delay in the time quoted. That was one of the reasons I got into it in the first place, also why I am doing all of my stuff on my own truck. It is VERY hard work even though at times it looks easy...usually the killer body guys are just great at it that they make it look easy. I always did my bodywork and prep as if i am painting a black car, that way it looks good no matter what color it is. I also knew several bodymen that only liked painting bright colors, like Yellow or Red so they can hide the bad work.

Sorry to bee so winded, just a lot to say. These were just my experiences with the industry, I know that it will differ from place to place. If I were not disabled now, I would like to have a big garage and do little painting jobs for people on this site (love 67-72 trucks) for a little extra cash. The little jobs (like painting inner fenders) are very easy to handle, kinda like the RC Cars that I paint as a hobby.

Good luck with it.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 AM   #18
HotRod71
Short, Fleet, Slammed, V8 Club

I know what big.mike is saying here. My son-in-law has been working on a truck since fall of last year for a guy. He has a fulltime job and does this on the side with me. We still don't have the cab and bed ready to paint. It is a slow process working this way, but the guy will end up with a sweet truck for a lower price than he could ever hope for. just his front fenders would have cost him close to a grand because of the modifications he wanted. We probably have 60 man hours or more in them. But like Mike said, if you are promised a certain time frame and you don't make ANY changes, then you should get what you were promised pretty much.

71 Chevy SWB Fleetside (WIP)

www.4x4grace.com

Last edited by HotRod71; 06-21-2006 at 03:07 AM.
HotRod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 AM   #19
Daubs

Very informative and interesting thread. Sorry about your situation ChevyDude. Hope the new painter works out.

My brother-in-law has done shadetree body work and paint since he was in HS (20 years ago). He helped me on my first truck, a '71 C-20. More I think about it the more I think I should just get the tools and work on my K-20 myself. After reading this thread I'm really leaning that way...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #20
ChevyDude

Guys I think something is being missed here. My truck is painted and looks very nice. He did fail to put it back together like he said he would. I never forced him to take on this paint job , just asked him if he would paint it for me. He told me it would be done in two weeks. I got my truck back in one year, not two weeks. I don't care what the excuse is, that is not acceptable. He never painted my inner fenders as was included on my job description. This not a case of anyone needing to defend the industry, as I am not critisizing the industry. I merely am saying I'm fed up and not gonna wait on this guy anymore. I run my own business and it is every bit as hard to stay on schedule, but I do it because I care. Enough said. I'm off to see my "New" paint shop in about an hour, after I finish my coffee.

Thanks for everyones concerns...but I'll be fine and Lil' Red will be all painted up and looking purdy soon enough!

I'm in Westminster, CO (Denver area).
Alex

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-21-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I fired my painter before I ever hired him!! LOL! Powell72 knows what I mean! I used my wife's motorcycle as a guinea pig, and it turned out sweet, so I am going to do my own, on my own schedule.

Good luck with the new guy! Yours looks sweet already, can't wait to see it completed and out on the street!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #22
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
Good luck with the new guy! Yours looks sweet already, can't wait to see it completed and out on the street!
If I had the paint tools and space, I would do it myself....but that's not a road I want to go down at this time. i'm sure the new guy will be fine. She'll be done soon!!!!!! Thanks Glock!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #23
BigMike

2 weeks took a year...TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! I did not catch that part till now. As a lot of people have probably already experienced, 2 weeks usually means a month, 2 months usually mean 4, etc.... 11 1/2 months extra is a bit much in anyones book. Just stay on top of whoever does the work to make sure they stay on schedule.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #24
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I can't fire my painter.... unfortunately I'm working for free But I've been thinking about quitting

Hope it all works out for ya. Inner fenders are easy, is the new guy gonna fix up your old fuel filler hole too?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #25
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
Hope it all works out for ya. Inner fenders are easy, is the new guy gonna fix up your old fuel filler hole too?
Yes. Just got back, very good meeting we talked price, we talked time. He's going to do the inner fenders first...wants me to bring him the cowl or tailgate so he can make sure the pint of paint that I have is the right stuff. Says he should have them done in 3 to 5 days. As soon as my bed is back on the truck, driveshaft is cut and lengthed, I am going to drive my truck to him, the "new guy" , providing all goes well with the inner fenders and he says he will weld up the old gas hole and paint it to match.

Alex

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-21-2006 at 03:09 PM.