The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2003, 01:28 AM   #26
Crank

Dude, I'ma drive my truck to school everyday once I get my license, I think it's hilarious that people want to dis our stuff or other stuff but only have a crappy ranger or civic. I say when I start finishing my project and have it in a magazine or two, and their car is getting hauled off the the crusher, we'll see who's the boss. Hell I'd drive that truck to school everyday, and love the fact that they think it's a P.O.S, because they have no idea what it is, or what it means to you.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:48 AM   #27
nroden

Yeah.. I can't figure these people out. Their cars break down more, have more rust than mine, are only 5 years old... but yet they have the better car?? Well it has a CD Player ya know, like that makes all the difference. (My AM Radio Works for me)
I have the only 67-72 at my school. Some like it and some don't. Theres a decent 77 at my school but he doesn't take care of it. Its a flatbed that has a piece of wood for a bumper and he has his lisense plate and chrome letter across it with his last name. He body work is rough, painted over the rust and holes. He did get bucket seats and built a rough looking console.. of course with a CD Player.
Theres an El Camino in primer.
Then the 3rd oldest truck is an 87. PERFECT. Silverado 30, 454, 4 spd. manual, 4wd, basically stock with a spray in liner, Magnaflow dual all stainless with slash tips. HotWheel custom bucket seats, a newer CD Player. Gets the same 9 MPG as my truck but its one you have to admire with this nice rims and tires.
Then theres the normal 92s and things all the way up to 98. A 2002 S10.
Oh yeah and a few jerky late model Ford guys.

Kids at school... sad that their dream cars a Ford Focuses, Dodge Neons, Eclipses, and even Hondas and Nissans. THen the look what my daddy bought me 2000 Mustangs.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #28
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

One thing I've found is the majority of kids getting out of high school today don't know what it feels like to do something on their own. They are so used to daddy or mommy buying that car for them and when it breakes down daddy will get it fixed or get me a new one so why should I work on it. You all are one step ahead of them in independence. You think daddy and mommy are going to take care of them for the rest of their lives. "Well maybe some of the really really rich ones." I'll bet the first time most of them have a car break down they will panic becouse they can't fix it. The older guys here can probably tell you stories of being out in the driveway fixing a car at 2:00 AM so they can make it to work the next day! Lets face it when you get out on your own all you have are your skills. Knowing how to diagram a sentence is a good thing but it's not going to get you to work every day! Until you are making good money it's the practical skills that get you to the point where you are makeing good money. Then you might have to know the difference between a verb and an adverb!

Just my opinion!!
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:42 PM   #29
6869704X4

Be proud, and just be nice. Tell them not to worry, that you will still give them a ride home from the junkyard when they drop their stuff off.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #30
Low68

Hey, that looked familiar. I drove my truck like that to school my senior year too. There is always someone who hates your truck no matter what shape it is in. I say just get used to it. It is pretty much like everything else. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as some saying goes. I can't wait to show up with my truck painted and almost finished(you know it will never be finished) and have everyone say, "Oh man, is that the same truck you had in high school?" I even had a friend who told me every week I should get rid of it and buy a new car. Sometimes I just wanted to punch him. He was one of those guys that drove his parents car that was crappy. Anyways, don't pay attention to the insults, just remember the ones that compliment you. By the way, the truck doesn't look that bad. plus it is really fun and easy to slide around corners now isn't it!
Low68
Old 01-31-2003, 02:25 PM   #31
wxman1

POS huh.

They all go to see "The Fast and the Furious"
and instantly rice burners are cool. What crap!
I guess the itch to "fit in" now-a-days is
overwhelming. The lack of independent/original
thinking among SOME of the younger generation
is an embarassment to this country.

Jim M.
Mt Juliet
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:16 PM   #32
Woody

Just tell them the older your truck gets the MORE it is worth and the older their cars get the LESS they are worth!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:49 PM   #33
'72 Shorty
I finally got an avatar

Dude, your truck ain't bad at all. I drove a '75 Scout that you had to start with a screwdriver and get in and out through the window in high school. All the guys with newer cars who kept telling me to get something better where seriously drooling when I first drove the '72. I got lucky and got to drive it for the last 2 weeks of school in fully restored(but never finished) condition. Just do what you gotta do, in the end, it'll be worth it.
-69 C-10
-56 Mack B-753LS (tow rig)
-94 Chev K2500 Short Ex-Cab
-89 Isuzu Trooper...Kinda
-03 Kawasaki KFX-400
-05 Suzuki DRZ-400S
'72 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #34
70cst10_05

my freshman year i drove my orange truck and a lot of ppl made fun of me, and now i drive my brothers blue 67 with a ugly green bed on it and get made fun of but when i show them pictures of my orange one and they ask where it is, they always say well hurry up and get it done so we can see it, there is a kid that is a junior and he just got done fixin up a 69 longhorn 3/4 ton its white it looks pretty sweet, and theres also a kid in my class (sophomore) that has a 71 that he never drives because he bought it and tore the inerior out and now it just sits, . the majority of ppl are "hicks" which im not dissin, but they all drive 3/4 tons, i can't wait til i get mine done and can tear up the streets in it, which i probably won't but it will be fun to think about.
kevin
1972 Chevy Suburban K/10

2019 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Kevin
70cst10_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:59 PM   #35
>X<
registered IWATA user

thatnks for the cool stories, i didnt mean to sound like i dint like y truck, i live it, first vehicle thing i guess. the sitiation at my school is 85% of the school drives acurs, lincolns, lexus, mercedes, civcs, and the rst drive 88-98 chevy's, some jeeps, some land cruisers. its a catholc private school so there is alot of pricks. then theres my friends, the ones that away have 4 wheelers in the beds, all my friends have 4x4's, we all wish that we would'vegone to the public school closer to our houes, its nothing but hicks with trucks

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:02 PM   #36
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Most of the people at my school drive what me and my friends call "common trucks". The common trucks are '88-'98 Chevy/GMC SWB 4x4's, and they all 15 of them are practicly identical. All have pipes, wide wheels and mud tires, and those little rails that go along the top of the bedside. They are good trucks, it is just that EVERYONE has one here. There are a few rice burners, and a lot of grand ams, cavileres, taursus, and other newer crap. Most people mouth my truck until they ride in it. It is proably the fastest (and defenitly the oldest) vehicle in the parking lot besides a LT1 Camaro. Back when i was a sophmore i had a VERY ugly '91 S10 4x4 that was voted Ugliest Car in the Parking Lot. It was originally grey, but the paint was peeling bad, it had lots of surface rust, and one bedside was completely trashed from being wrecked. I thought it was cool that it got the award. It was a good truck, would go just about anywhere too. I finally blew up the 165k 4.3 after one too many 40 MPH bursts in 1st gear (5-speed with 3.73 gears). I sold the truck for $400, and now i almost regret it .

Anyway, drive what you think is cool, not what everyone else thinks is cool .
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:21 PM   #37
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

I drive my 72 to school everyday and gets lots of compliments. Luckily for me though its one of the fastest and sharpest vehicles in the parking lot, not to mention the LOUDEST Theres a few other classics (Sweet 1st gen camaro, buddies lifted 78 K10) but I usually dont get much crap from the Import guys. I would say if you finish that sucker up and throw the bed/cowl/grille back on it would look great. I enjoy going through the parking lot at lunch every once in a while and setting off the alarms on the Riceboys hehe good times
Kenny

Salem, Oregon
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:59 PM   #38
special70gmc

the thing i love about having this truck is its paid for! all the kids in my school are rich (really wealthy neiborhood) they drive brand new cars bmw's ect... but im building the truck i want no body helps me, and my friends make fun of it cause in its current condition (pic) and when i first got it it looks like crap also its not a 4x4 so automaticly is junk. when im old enough to drive and the truck breaks i can fix it i know this truck like the back of my hand those kids can hardly drive let alone fix anything.
Attached Images