The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Longbed68

Bed Floor Questions

In another thread I mentioned having a '30s truck as a daily driver. Almost a year later I finally found it! It should be getting here next week, I haven't even seen it yet. So more on that later.

One thing I know is that it's totally missing the bed floor. I've been doing some shopping around and it seems like I can get a complete kit with every nut and bolt you need for the job for about $550 from a couple places I've seen, like The Filling Station. That's not bad, really, but this is going to be a very budget-minded project and I'm going to want to save every penny I can. If I piece together everything separately at oldchevytrucks.com (because I don't seem to see a complete kit available) it only comes to $375, which is obviously much better. I'm not positive that I have everything, though.

I have in my Cart:
-BP1411 Bed to frame bolt kit
-BP156ZP Bed strip bolt kit
-BP156RC Bed strip carriage bolt kit
-BP215P Bed wood kit (pine)
-BPS0002 Bed strip corners
-BP1152 Bed strip kit
-BP135 Bed mounting block and pads

Does that sound like everything? One thing I'm confused about is the two bed strip bolt kits. Do I need both? I'm not sure what the difference is.

Is there any other source that I may get an even better deal, from? I'd even be perfectly happy getting everything used if that's possible, but does this stuff ever come available used?

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Dan
Longbed68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
gale

Re: Bed Floor Questions

Can you get a description of the contents of both kits from the supplier?

I'm sure I have at least one duplicate box of bolts because of buying "kits."

The wood from Mar-K is first class. I ordered for one bed from Brothers and it was drop-shipped from Mar-K. When I was ready for the other bed I ordered from Mar-K.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Longbed68

I'll look into Mar-K. Thanks!

Dan
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Longbed68

Everything I need (I think) from Mar-K is about $415. Maybe it's worth it if they're quality is superior.

Dan
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
gale

I don't think it could be any better. The holes and counterbores are all done, ready to bolt in.

I spread my boards out and put several coats of Thompson's Water Seal on all surfaces, paying special attention to the ends to slow down eventual rot. TWS is clear and thin so it should soak in pretty well.

I let that dry and thinned Rust-O-Leum black enamel with acetone and painted all surfaces with that. If it lasts as well as the original wood I'll be happy.

I painted the metal strips the color of the truck.

Last edited by gale; 08-09-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: need to add a note
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Longbed68

So you painted the wood black? Is that how they were from the factory? I've often wondered this. Someone once told me everything was body color (though I was asking about how my dad's '68 should be).

The pre-drilled holes is a huge plus and worth every penny. I did a new bed on a '56 I worked on once and boy was it a pain doing all that myself, especially routing out the holes for the offset washers (though I admit we came up with a rather brilliant method of doing it).

Here's the '56. The guy wanted it fully restored but I refused, telling him it was in too good original condition and that he'd regret it later. A few years later, old trucks and original paint cars are both red hot. He's been thanking me for talking him out of it! The bed was really far gone, though, so we replaced that.

Dan
Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
gale

I only remember black wood in the beds of new trucks and I had quite a few starting in '64. The metal strips were either body color or black and that may have been determined by the plant of origin. Makes sense to go with body color since the outside strip is part of the bed side panel. If you go to the trouble to remove that piece you find primer underneath.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbed68 View Post
So you painted the wood black? Is that how they were from the factory? I've often wondered this. Someone once told me everything was body color (though I was asking about how my dad's '68 should be).

The pre-drilled holes is a huge plus and worth every penny. I did a new bed on a '56 I worked on once and boy was it a pain doing all that myself, especially routing out the holes for the offset washers (though I admit we came up with a rather brilliant method of doing it).
Dan
That's a nice looking truck. The '68 long stepside bed I bought in a pasture still had about 2/3 of its wood and it was black, rotten but black where the paint had remained.

Last edited by gale; 08-10-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: remove attached pictures
Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Longbed68

Interesting. You know what, the original strips in the '56 were black (I still have them) and I may recall that the wood showed some remnants of black, too. Though I don't think I ever assumed it was factory.

It's hard not to stain the wood and show off the stunning grain when you redo then, though. What was the original wood material?

Dan
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Longbed68

It's funny but I forgot I had those strips until this conversation, though I'd have probably remembered eventually. I'm sure they're a little different but can probably be made to work, don't you think? I might be saving money already!

Dan
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
gale

Quote:
Interesting. You know what, the original strips in the '56 were black (I still have them) and I may recall that the wood showed some remnants of black, too. Though I don't think I ever assumed it was factory.

It's hard not to stain the wood and show off the stunning grain when you redo then, though. What was the original wood material?

Dan
Pine. I usually had a tool box or extra tank in the bed and drilled holes. I always drilled a couple of holes at the front for drainage. Yes, it did hurt a little to cover the grain in #1 pine with black paint, but my trucks and bikes are daily drivers and I don't hesitate to overload them.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
gale

Quote:
It's funny but I forgot I had those strips until this conversation, though I'd have probably remembered eventually. I'm sure they're a little different but can probably be made to work, don't you think? I might be saving money already!

Dan
They will definitely work. Put a good coat of epoxy primer on them before the color. The polished stainless looks nice but expensive. It also looks like "don't touch."
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Longbed68

Cool. I've always been a "bone stock" guy so I wouldn't go with the stainless, anyway (plus it's way more expensive). I plan to use this truck for work as well, though.

Not arguing with your experience, plus I've already pointed out that the '56's bed was black, but I just looked through a book I have (Motorbook's How to Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup) and it says "For those desiring to restore their trucks to factory standards, the bed wood and metal strips were painted the same color as the truck body." (pg 185)

This is how my dad's '68 is, though we always assumed it was repainted. We know the exterior has been repainted, but it's hard to tell if they shot the bed floor as well or not.

Dan
Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
gale

Quote:
Not arguing with your experience, plus I've already pointed out that the '56's bed was black, but I just looked through a book I have (Motorbook's How to Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup) and it says "For those desiring to restore their trucks to factory standards, the bed wood and metal strips were painted the same color as the truck body." (pg 185)

Dan
Not arguing either because it's very probable GM had different standards at different times and different assembly plants.

But I remember a bunch of C10 stepsides with black wood starting with a white '64. Some I don't recall the bed color specifically. The wheel color was also up in the air simply because I don't think GM figured these items mattered for a truck. Wheel colors went from black to white to body color.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
solidaxel

Quote:
Everything I need (I think) from Mar-K is about $415. Maybe it's worth it if they're quality is superior.

Dan
You will be VERY HAPPY with Mar-K, I have used them on many builds
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
donthekawguy

You only need the carriage bolt kit. The new strips come with square holes for the carriage bolts. The original strips had round hole with a special bolt that has splines on them and fit in the round holes. You can also save money and cut your own wood. I saved around $200 by cutting my own wood and that includes the price of a Craftsman tablesaw I got off Craigslist. You might also find a deal on bolts at a Fasteners store.