The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
Chard10

Finally got a C10

I've always wanted a 67 72 C10 and I finally got one, and for just a little over what the guy was going to scrap it for! It's a 68, has a 350 (swapped, casting number is 3970010 which wasn't available that year, and probably why no wires are connected!) Reconnected the transmission linkage, got a new battery, wired up some wires, changed oil and differential fluid and it runs well. Still something wrong with the electrical, the battery drains when it's off but I just unplug the negative wire from the battery and have no issues, it's not my daily anyway. Looking forward to fixing it up and learning how to work on it!
Attached Images

Chard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Chard10

Re: Finally got a C10

Few more pics
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Nice score.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard10 View Post
I've always wanted a 67 72 C10 and I finally got one, and for just a little over what the guy was going to scrap it for! It's a 68, has a 350 (swapped, casting number is 3970010 which wasn't available that year, and probably why no wires are connected!) Reconnected the transmission linkage, got a new battery, wired up some wires, changed oil and differential fluid and it runs well. Still something wrong with the electrical, the battery drains when it's off but I just unplug the negative wire from the battery and have no issues, it's not my daily anyway. Looking forward to fixing it up and learning how to work on it!
Welcome aboard!

Nice to see a good save...

Assuming the battery is good...

The alternator diodes if faulty will cause a drain on the battery,,,,to check it, remove and insulate the wire loop connector and leave the battery connected overnight....if battery does not discharge replace the alternator...

You could also place an amp meter between the positive terminal and the lead and measure the current draw...dont try to start, and have the ignition and all lights etc turned off...post your results,,,

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Welcome aboard!

The alternator diodes if faulty will cause a drain on the battery,,,,to check it, remove and insulate the wire loop connector and leave the battery connected overnight....if battery does not discharge replace the alternator...

You could also place an amp meter between the positive terminal and the lead and measure the current draw...dont try to start, and have the ignition and all lights etc turned off...post your results,,,

Based on the sketchy wiring and the fact he has a long water pump installation with internally regulated alternator, I could almost bet the truck still has the external voltage regulator in place.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the advice, the battery is new (but that doesn't mean its good). This is the first vehicle I've worked on myself so I don't really know what I'm doing but I learn fast. Youtube showed me how to fix the transmission linkage etc. I don't know what an insulated wire loop is though lol. I do have an amp meter thought because my father in law is an electrician so i could try that too. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Based on the sketchy wiring and the fact he has a long water pump installation with internally regulated alternator, I could almost bet the truck still has the external voltage regulator in place.
Not quite sure what the external voltage regulator is but i think it is supposed to be here. does this picture help? this is my first project vehicle, I don't know much about engines etc. but i learn fast.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Nice score.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #9
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post

No external voltage regulator and the alternator is not internally regulated. I'm guessing whoever swapped the engine put an internally regulated alternator on it and when the next guy went to a parts store, he bought the original externally regulated alternator. No problem, I have an one wire coming tomorrow 😁
Old 08-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Nice truck . Soon you will posting about the next.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Nice truck . Soon you will posting about the next.
Got a long way to go with this one before I can start thinking about another lol, but some day I want a 78 brown K10 stepside like my dad had when i was a kid!
Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #12
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Got a long way to go with this one before I can start thinking about another lol, but some day I want a 78 brown K10 stepside like my dad had when i was a kid!
I said the same thing 2 years ago so far I've had 4. Now I want a small window 67
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
Chard10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
i said the same thing 2 years ago so far i've had 4. Now i want a small window 67
🤣🤣🤣
Old 08-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
Chard10

Quote:
No external voltage regulator and the alternator is not internally regulated. I'm guessing whoever swapped the engine put an internally regulated alternator on it and when the next guy went to a parts store, he bought the original externally regulated alternator. No problem, I have an one wire coming tomorrow 😁
Thanks for the advice! It was the alternator. It was an externally regulated alternator with no external regulator. Im guessing whoever swapped the 350 into it converted it to an internally regulated unit and when it died, the guy who sold it to me bought the original part which was an externally regulated unit. I threw a one wire unit on it and it runs great, no more dead battery!