The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
bwilde86

USA made replacement panels

Does anyone sell replacement panels and/or patch panels made on the USA? Don't mind paying a little more if that's the case. Looking for both 47 Chevy and a 58 gmc trucks. Any help would be great
Posted via Mobile Device
bwilde86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: USA made replacement panels

There are some but not a complete line, The best panels are coming from Asia believe it or not. Most all have gone to new tooling because of the complaints from boards like this. Hoods are still an issue some doors still have issues depending on the year and model.

The roof panels for 47-59 are spot on, floor pans for 47-59 are spot on most all the large panels like backs, inner roof, firewall are all very good. Dynacorn is a little better in some panel than others. Their steps and corners for 55-59 are better but cost more, but they all sell each others items to round out the line. You may order what you think is a Dynacorn part and it has a key part number and a Dynacorn on it.

Tabco is an American stamper but does sell a lot of over seas panel to round out its line. I know there are others but don't have a name for you.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Jemezcrusher

Don't think you are going to find replacement stampings made in the US. Can't compete typically

Most are made in Asia. I think you are better off with the ones stamped in Taiwan than the ones from China.
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
bwilde86

Who makes the best fenders and doors for a 58 gmc? Haven't sanded mine down but I'm thinking they will need every patch imaginable and my door has a big gash from a combine so will need to be replaced.

Is dynacorn a brand or are they a manufacturer that places like lmc and brothers buy through?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilde86 View Post
Who makes the best fenders and doors for a 58 gmc? Haven't sanded mine down but I'm thinking they will need every patch imaginable and my door has a big gash from a combine so will need to be replaced.

Is dynacorn a brand or are they a manufacturer that places like lmc and brothers buy through?
Posted via Mobile Device
In 58-9 GMC and Chevy used the same fender, I've had very good luck with Dynacorn on the doors and front fender that we install and haven't had anyone call me and say they don't fit for those we sold to customers.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
bwilde86

Where do you order your panels from? Just dynacorn.com?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I'm dealer for Dynacorn and Key parts. I order direct. They are wholesale only but if you would like some prices and shipping costs send me your email address
Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Jemezcrusher

I have some dynacorn fenders. They look pretty good but I have not fitted them yet
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
Advanced Design

I just want to step in and let you know not only is dwcsr very knowledgable, he provides exceptional customer service when helping me out on my Burb build. Plus he freely shares his knowledge here so I am certain you won't be disappointed ordering from him. Much more helpful than just some guy somewhere looking at inventory on a computer that knows nothing about applications, fit or use.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I just want to step in and let you know not only is dwcsr very knowledgable, he provides exceptional customer service when helping me out on my Burb build. Plus he freely shares his knowledge here so I am certain you won't be disappointed ordering from him. Much more helpful than just some guy somewhere looking at inventory on a computer that knows nothing about applications, fit or use.
Thanks I appreciate the kudo's
Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
72Mountaineer

LMC used to advertise that their parts were made in the USA. I called them and asked where the steel to make the parts was made, and they wouldn't (yes wouldn't) answer the question.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
MARTINSR

I have to say, I have never ran into a fender or door that couldn't be repaired. Post photos! Maybe just a door skin, I don't know but aftermarket parts aren't simply "bolting on" a new part, they require a LOT of work to get them to fit properly.

BOYCOTT REPRODUCTION PARTS!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Nsanehotrodz

Hey Martinsr, how about posting some pics of these parts you have experience with. I have a '58 Gmc I am building with all new aftermarket parts that I can post that will show everyone you have no idea what you are talking about. By the way I am in no way trying to take business away from member dwcsr. Just trying to share some knowledge.
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
MARTINSR

I can post pictures of all kinds of goofy stuff and say it's mine, that means nothing. I have been installing AM and reproduction parts ever since the first ones ever available back in the seventies! I have returned MANY reproduction sheeetmetal parts from a Model A fender to a Mustang fender and many more to repair the original smashed and rusted one because it was better than the Reproduction. We just did a Camaro at the shop where I tried to talk the owner out of the reproduction "quality" sheetmetal parts he bought and we would fix the original rusted and damaged ones and he insisted on the new, OMG what a friggin joke that project was. If I was the owner of the shop I would have put my foot down and we wouldn't have touched it. Done MANY over the years from Mustangs to Dodges to Model A's to Ford F-100's and on and on.

But after using some decent AM parts on late model cars a few years ago (fenders and such) I found they were often "decent" but not out and out junk, So after years of not using the repro parts in restoration work because of all the bad experiences I had I thought they had gotten better, I mean those Chinese fenders for a late model Honda were pretty decent. So the next Goodguys show that came along I specifically went to examine the repro Model A and 34 Ford bodies and that sort of thing. OMG they were CRAP, ABSOLUTE CRAP! Every friggin inch would need to be worked to make them paint ready. Ok, so then NACE came a little while later, again, I went there and felt them like a body man, not just looked a their shiny steel but to feel them like a bodyman, were they straight? They were JUNK, Camaro bodies, Mustang bodies, everything I checked out were JUNK. They would take a skim coat of body filler over 80% of them to get them paint ready. Some more than a skim coat, we are talking shrinking metal and stuff like that to get them good enough for filler! And these were the best they have I must assume as they were the ones they chose to display! HOLY CRAP!

Here is it in a nutshell, reproduction parts are "similar" to original and can be used if nothing else is available.

Can they be used, of course they can. Could some be magically much better than the ones I have checked, sure. I am not so big headed to think nothing is worth looking at. Sure there are some worth a little work. There are some that are even better than OEM! Yes, Dennis Carpenter mouldings and emblems and some other parts that were better than OEM! Though I have NEVER, EVER seen a reproduction sheetmetal part that was better.

All I know is me personally, here, just personal opinion. I am building a 1948 Chevy pickup, I don't want a 2015 Chinese Chevy pickup. I want original parts, pure and simple. And I have been fascinated in how often they are available. I have bought so much NOS original stuff for my old cars it's amazing how much is still available, often very reasonably priced, not always of course but often it's not a whole lot.

If you don't like me suggesting to people to not buy reproduction parts and instead fix what they have, I am very sorry, I will continue to do so.

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
MARTINSR

I can't make this clear enough, if you must use reproduction sheetmetal, then it's so damn awesome that it's available! But for the average guy in a home garage to think he is going to spend a bunch of money and get new fenders or doors for his project and save some money over what some bodyshop wanted and pull them out of the box and bolt them on, he is sadly mistaken.

I do have to say that we bought a bed side for a C10 from LMC that was pretty decent again, if it were mine I would have fixed the original one. But it was pretty decent. The best part was LMC had amazing customer service. The quarter came badly damaged in shipment. There was no questions asked, I mean, nothing! I sent a photo of the damaged part and they sent me out another quarter telling me to throw the first one away! I mean in a few days the replacement was there.

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post
Hey Martinsr, how about posting some pics of these parts you have experience with. I have a '58 Gmc I am building with all new aftermarket parts that I can post that will show everyone you have no idea what you are talking about. By the way I am in no way trying to take business away from member dwcsr. Just trying to share some knowledge.
Nsanehotrodz I understand completely, go for it. Some guys want to take 2 months fixing a rumpled door, the majority do not. Some guys have the skill set and tooling to do that a lot don't and these parts are for them.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Though I have NEVER, EVER seen a reproduction sheetmetal part that was better.
Almost every repop made now (between 2005 and now) is better than the OEM for 47-59. with a few exceptions. You just have to know the difference between a rust panel, a crash panel and a reproduction replacement panel. If you use a rust panel as a replacement panel they fit like junk. Rust panels go over an existing panel. Some rocker & steps are made that way still and some corners are made that way.

An example is the two half's of a floor pan are rust panels and take a lot of work to get in place and fitted. A complete floor is a reproduction replacement panel and fits like a glove. You can replace a complete floor in the same time as two half panel and the front cab mounts and its a better finished product

When is the last time you actually purchased a door or large panel? If your referencing the 80's and 90's then I agree with you but most all are on new tooling.

Of course you do have to take into consideration it may be your truck that's bent or tweaked and that may be why it doesn't fit.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #18
MARTINSR

Last year, those Camaro fenders, JUNK!

Listen, like I said, I am an autobodyman and have been for 40 years, I KNOW these parts are "similar" but they don't bolt on like the OEM. Maybe in someone elses rose colored glasses world they do but not in mine.

Like I said, I will continue to suggest others repair what they have. It's that simple, it's not a big deal.

And as far as photos, I take photos every single day at work of damage on cars. What cracks me up with the whole "show photos" thing is I can take photos of seriously crappy stuff and make it look great in the photo. I am not talking photo shopping, I am talking about angle and lighting. I know because that is one of the challenges of my work every day, capturing in a photo damage to prove the need for repairs or replacement of parts. It is hilarious how different the same dent can look depending on how the photo was taken.

To capture flaws you have to REALLY want to, if you don't, they won't be there. It's the same as capturing super awesome work or detail, it is very hard to capture it in a photo.

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I thought we were talking about 47 59 parts. I don't think anyone asked you to photo shop anything . Camaros' and Photoshop? I'm confused I think I'll step off this thread.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #20
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I thought we were talking about 47 59 parts. I don't think anyone asked you to photo shop anything . Camaros' and Photoshop? I'm confused I think I'll step off this thread.
Of course you didn't suggest me to photoshop a photo, don't be silly. I used that example to insanehotrodz as to his question. One of the chances you take when you are on a forum to advertise is you are going to get people who disagree with you. If you want to sell stuff you need to be able to take the good with the bad and provide people with information about how good your product is......not attack people who disagree with you.

Insane, I never said anything about your products personally, I am talking in general. If you don't like that, I am sorry but I want to help people and will tell them my opinion when they ask a question.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-23-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #21
CorndogMIR

I think the original thread was just asking if any patch panels were made in the states. I do remember reading in one of the many catalogs showing a price for a certain patch and then right under was a domestic price. they even said that the domestic price used the same gauge steel as used in the 50's.
CorndogMIR is offline   Reply With Quote