The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
1970 C10 MJW

PRND question

i am studying up on getting my harness modified, and I was wondering can I eliminate the PRND connectors on the LS harness? since I still have the PRND on my steering column?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: PRND question

I'm not using one, just the markings on my console shifter.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
1970 C10 MJW

ok cool!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
SS Tim

That is going to depend on what trans. you are running. If it is electronically controlled you will need the inputs from the trans. PRNDL switch for the controller. The stock PRNDL switch on the column is for the starter interlock and reverse lamps only.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

I do not have one on my 4l60E, and it works just fine. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
McKenna

I too am wondering about this, I'm pretty much done my harness except for this damn light green wire ( pin 9 ) on the transmission wiring, I don't have an auto column so will w going with a floor shift and no indicator ( doesnt bother me)

I too am just curious as to what does and doesn't need to be wired on the transmission as far as PNRD clip Is concerned. Some say 1-8 doesn't matter but 9-12 do (pin#'s)

8 is reverse lights so I would presume I run that to trigger a relay for my reverse, 10,11,12 are wired to my ecm I presume because they are not hanging loosely anywhere, but i cannot figure out 9 to save my life.
Posted via Mobile Device
McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
McKenna

This cleared up alot for me maybe it will for you as well

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556245
Posted via Mobile Device
McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
ls1nova71

You need the part of it that lets the PCM know what gear it's in. But you don't have to use the truck one, a simple wire that is grounded in park and neutral will work, but you need to change it in the tune for that route to work. That said, it really isn't all that much harder to keep it and run the starter relay off of it and also the back up lights. Using the switch on the transmission you get a more positive neutral safety since it will only start in neutral and park, sometimes using the column mounted NSS you will get some slop in the linkage and will have to fiddle with the shifter to get it to start in neutral. It's a design flaw that gets worse with age and wear, so I just keep the trans mounted switch.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
You need the part of it that lets the PCM know what gear it's in. But you don't have to use the truck one, a simple wire that is grounded in park and neutral will work, but you need to change it in the tune for that route to work. That said, it really isn't all that much harder to keep it and run the starter relay off of it and also the back up lights. Using the switch on the transmission you get a more positive neutral safety since it will only start in neutral and park, sometimes using the column mounted NSS you will get some slop in the linkage and will have to fiddle with the shifter to get it to start in neutral. It's a design flaw that gets worse with age and wear, so I just keep the trans mounted switch.
As always you are more thorough than me

My transmission really only has input from the VSS sensors (well the second one on a 4l80e isn't technically a vss, but for conversation sake), I do not use the PRNDL indicator, the whole thing has been removed. The thing is I don't use a NSS, my truck can start in gear, and I also don't run reverse lights of any kind..so I'm a couple wires shorter than most swaps.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote