The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #26
mr.mud1

Re: 1939 Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Nice work. I'm enjoying following along.
thank you sir.i'm out there today cutting off some the cowl on the passenger side today,i have repaired it already but not happy with the parts of job,so i'm re-doing some of it.i'm hoping to get started on the floor next week but have my eye on the tail pan under the trunk lid.originally i thought it wasn't in bad shape,now i'm not so sure.we'll see.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #27
mr.mud1

not too much to report,ran out of mig wire Saturday night so i worked on the chassis.i had the rad/trans cooler off again for the 4th time,hunting a power steering leak,found a crack in my new rack so replaced it and thought it was problem solved?it wasn't,still leaked but found a couple of fittings on the factory lines installed,that were not tight.so far so good.i wanted to fire up the motor and change the oil/filter,i hadn't run it for almost a year,the last 10 or 12 months have been very busy.we sold our house and old shop,moved and built the new shop,had an old friend pass away and found out,she had named me her executor,so the poor old car just sat.i had installed a new plastic tank last year from Tanks Inc,with the pump in the tank but wasn't happy with the tank,found a new steel tank,so installed that with a pump module from Tanks Inc,made up some temporary fuel lines,charged a battery and fired it up.it howled and screamed like you were standing on the cats tail.i found the tin shield in front of flex plate/convertor bent a little somehow,made repairs and everything sounded great,changed the oil/filter.it was nice to hear the motor run again.it's a 360 EFI magnum motor that i rebuilt,with an overdrive automatic,all from a 1995 dodge pickup.it's the first thing i ever built that doesn't have a carb and it runs??amazing
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #28
Russell Ashley

I love this car, and your new shop. I should be so lucky...Sorry about your friend, hope you don't have any problems sorting out the will.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I love this car, and your new shop. I should be so lucky...Sorry about your friend, hope you don't have any problems sorting out the will.
thanks you sir.this will be a different sort of car for sure,chances are are slim i'll run into another one?
take care.Greg
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #30
HAULIN' IT

Nice metalwork there Sir! Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #31
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Nice metalwork there Sir! Lorne
thank you sir,i appreciate the kind words.i call it making something out of nothing.take care.Greg
Old 04-03-2021, 12:37 AM   #32
mr.mud1

today's progress on the passenger side cowl area on the inside that will be under the floor boards and where the body sits on the frame.i had repaired this already but the more i looked it,the more i was unhappy with my work,so i cut most of the inside panels out,and started over.i have one more little place on the dog leg,drivers side,also repaired but i'm not happy with it, so tomorrow,i'll cut it out and re-do it,then it'll be onto the floor.i'm fortunate that 3 of the doors are in very good condition,1 not so good,i'll have to figure out a way to build a new bottom for it.i'm sure i'll come up with some sort of plan.i wish the guys who are supposed to be hauling my truck would come up with a plan???it was supposed to be picked up in Utah last friday and heading east.no such luck,still in Utah and no idea when it'll be picked up?i might just have this Chrysler done by the time these dough heads get their act together.better days are coming.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #33
Happy_dan

You have a truck in Utah?

I am amazed at the work you do with metal. I wish I had that kind of skill.

A much simpler job (73 Camaro) got the best of me and I ended up selling the project because of the metal work required.

kudos to you!
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #34
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
You have a truck in Utah?

I am amazed at the work you do with metal. I wish I had that kind of skill.

A much simpler job (73 Camaro) got the best of me and I ended up selling the project because of the metal work required.

kudos to you!
thanks Dan.yes sir,i have,as you know,a truck in Utah.i'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch BUT the truck is supposed to be picked up tomorrow and deliver in Maine on Monday.i'll put some pictures on here of it starting it's journey from Utah to Nova Scotia,if they show up and get'er done.we'll see.i've owned this truck for a while,it'll be nice to finally get my hands on it and get it home.thanks for the kind words and glad you're new engine is running.i knew you could do it.
all the best.Greg
Old 04-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #35
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice metal work on this project!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #36
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice metal work on this project!
thank you sir.i've managed to figure a way out of every problem so far but have a rotten floor waiting for me.i'll have to put my thinking cap on for that one?lots of shape to duplicate.we'll get'er.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #37
67C10Step

Really like this project. Love to see stuff that is not as common put back on the road in one form another.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Really like this project. Love to see stuff that is not as common put back on the road in one form another.
thanks.it is different.i built a real nice 32 Ford Tudor sedan years ago,took it to the NSRA Nats South in Knoxville,TN,brought home the long distance award but got so sick of looking at 32 Fords.i didn't think it would be possible to stop looking at them but there were so many,i started looking at oddball stuff.can't get much more oddball than a 39 Chrysler.i bought it cause it wasn't too far away and it's grown on me some.i think it'll be fine.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #39
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I almost bought a 39 Dodge years back but I couldn't get the owner to settle on a price. I really like how these cars resemble the back of a 38-40 Ford.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #40
mr.mud1

Quote:
I almost bought a 39 Dodge years back but I couldn't get the owner to settle on a price. I really like how these cars resemble the back of a 38-40 Ford.
hi Ryan,these do look like a ford sedan from the rear and the nose of mine,sorta looks like a 40 Willys.if i don't put the Chyrsler emblems on it,not many people will know what the heck it is?i started a similiar project years ago but never finished it,a 36 dodge 4 door sedan,i thought it was a very attractive car.they're all nice if you do a good job on them,i figure?Greg
Old 04-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #41
KShortell

Cool!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #42
mr.mud1

this week's progress on the drivers side rear dog leg.i'm my own worst enemy.i had fixed this already but i wasn't happy with it so i cut the bottom off the dog leg and the top of the rocker panel and re-did it.much happier now.i was going to start on the floor tomorrow but i've been looking at the front cowl sides down in behind here the rear ends of the front fenders bolt to the cowl.there are caged nuts inside the cowl and rust has formed in between the outside cowl skin and the nuts,swelling up the cowl skin and one one of the bolt holes,rusted right through the cowl.so that'll be tomorrow's project.
an update on my truck in Utah that was supposed to be picked last Wednesday in Ogden,Utah and be in Maine Monday this week,well it never happened.truck is still in Utah?hurry up and wait?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #43
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That looks really great!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #44
mr.mud1

Quote:
That looks really great!
Thanks Ryan,a little more progress.more today i hope.
Greg
Old 04-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #45
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Just read through this. Very cool work and some great fab skills! It's nice to see one of the rare ones get attention. Well done!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #46
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Just read through this. Very cool work and some great fab skills! It's nice to see one of the rare ones get attention. Well done!
thank you sir,i appreciate that.i read on here somewhere,where a fella said he did some of his best work when backed into a corner.that's sort of how i look at it,i can't buy anything for this car,so if it's going to get fixed,that leaves me in charge.it's a pile of thinking,makes my old head hurt but we'll get'er done.
take care,all the best.Greg
Old 05-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #47
mr.mud1

a little more progress in the cowl area on both sides.i didn't know i needed to fix this til i looked closely.the square caged nuts inside the cowl where the back end of the front fenders bolt to the car were not in great shape and rust had formed between the body metal and and nuts,swelling up the sheet metal,making it very thin,so i cut out the old body around the bolt holes,removed all the old caged nuts,put new nuts inside the cowl and a reinforcement to hold them in place and then cut new pieces and put'er back together.i have a few wobbles and waves in the cowl from all the welding but i'm sure a real bodyman,when i find one who wants to do this car,can straighten her out.i'm tackling the floor next after i plumb up my compressor.i need some air.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #48
Happy_dan

You have been busy! Nice work
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #49
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
You have been busy! Nice work
thank you sir,probably not as busy as you but we're making a little progress now and then.take care
Greg
Old 11-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #50
mr.mud1

not too much to report.my 72 truck that was held up in Utah with the covid mess and not being able to go get it,arrived by car carrier a few months ago so i hadn't done anything to the Chrysler,working on getting the truck going after 25 years in storage and waiting for the sheet metal shop to make some pieces that i plan to shape into a floor. the truck is running very well now and the pieces are here for the Chrysler floor.i thought for a while about the floor and how to rebuilt it and decided,right or wrong to put the body back on the frame.the first 2 body mount locations at the body of the cowl were there,not damaged or repaired and 2 mount locations over the rear housing were rotten in the body but intact so i decided if the body was back on the frame,i could see all the mount points in the frame for body mounts,so i'll build the floor to fit and put the body mounts where they need to be.today i lifted the body up off the cradle it was on,did a bunch of welding under the body that i couldn't do while it was on it's cradle and then lowered onto the frame using 4 old rubber mounts that i saved from when i took the car apart.i do plan to pull the motor and trans from the truck,it seems to have a 100 oil leaks and build a floor for the Chrysler,so it'll be a busy,productive winter(i hope)
Attached Images