The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
jgmc

Old air products dual electric fan wiring

I have a 10 plus year old electric fan set up from old air products. I have a question for anyone that has this same set up about how it’s wired up.
Can anyone help? I had mine main fan coming on with a temp switch in the block and the second comes on with the adjustable dial switch. I want to wire the main fan to come on with the ignition switch but not sure wire the wires go that are on the 3 prong plug on the lower drivers side. Please help
jgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:12 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Old air products dual electric fan wiring

Their are many different types of relays. I am posting the most common. Remember the switching is typically done by grounding one side of the coil. This pulls in the relay. All you should have to do is confirm the ground wire and permanently ground it. That way the relay will activate when the power is applied.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:22 AM   #3
RustyPile

I'm not the least bit familiar with a 10 year old Old Air cooling fan, but I can tell you how I have my Derale two fan system wired. I have the main fan relay activated by a coolant temperature sensor. Coolant temperature reaching 200 degrees turns on the main fan... The 2nd fan is on a totally separate relay. This relay is activated by a signal from the ignition switch. Turn on the ignition switch and this fan comes on. In summary, two fans two circuit breakers, two relays.. A failure in either system doesn't affect the other...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:17 AM   #4
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I'm not the least bit familiar with a 10 year old Old Air cooling fan, but I can tell you how I have my Derale two fan system wired. I have the main fan relay activated by a coolant temperature sensor. Coolant temperature reaching 200 degrees turns on the main fan... The 2nd fan is on a totally separate relay. This relay is activated by a signal from the ignition switch. Turn on the ignition switch and this fan comes on. In summary, two fans two circuit breakers, two relays.. A failure in either system doesn't affect the other...
Great advise. Do that. Just make sure to have heavier wire for the fan power. Otherwise you won’t get proper rpm
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:55 AM   #5
68 P.O.S.

I'm wiring my dual fan setup like the last example in this link https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/electric-fan-wiring.html

Instead of wiring my own harness, I'll be using this premade harness https://bp-automotive.com/product/du...fan-relay-kit/

Then adding a Dakota Digital fan controller and probe to make it all work.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 04-15-2023 at 11:09 AM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
Joyridin

Just wondering why you would want to do that? The whole point of an electric fan is to come on/off when the engine gets hot/cool.

I have a dual fan set-up and it uses AutoCoolGuy PMW set-up. You can set the fans to come on at any temperature, but they come on slow. As the temp gets hotter, the fans speed up until they are running full speed at whatever temp you tell it. It stops the system from being shocked especially if you have a smaller alternator.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
I'm wiring my dual fan setup like the last example in this link https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/electric-fan-wiring.html

Instead of wiring my own harness, I'll be using this premade harness https://bp-automotive.com/product/du...fan-relay-kit/

Then adding a Dakota Digital fan controller and probe to make it all work.
I have the older version of that controller. It is nice, but if you unhook the battery for any reason, it wipes the memory and you have to program everything again. Unfortunately, where mine is mounted, you cannot reach the key, so it takes 2 people. Hopefully they fixed that with the bluetooth.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:22 PM   #8
Richard

When two fans are used and independently controlled you can lose a lot of airflow through the radiator. Unless each individual fan is sealed to the radiator a lot of air will just be pulled through the unpowered fan instead of through the radiator. Essentially recycling air under the hood. Air will take the path of least resistance.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:51 PM   #9
jgmc

Thanks everyone, I got it working.
jgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I have the older version of that controller. It is nice, but if you unhook the battery for any reason, it wipes the memory and you have to program everything again. Unfortunately, where mine is mounted, you cannot reach the key, so it takes 2 people. Hopefully they fixed that with the bluetooth.
Wow, first I've heard of this. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I hope that issue is fixed as well. From my research, the Dakota Digial controller seems to be the best.