The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
mrtoni

Re: 1971 4x4 Suburban Project - the 'Family Adventure Wagon'

Kinda bummed after reading this. I just bought the tuff country 2 inch softride. I was sold on the premise that it’s a 4-6 hour job with no mods necessary. No moving perches no driveshaft mods. I hope mine goes better than yours because I’m no welder. Might buy you axles too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
Installed the 8 lug Dana 44 with 4:10 gears. The new brake calipers needed a different brake line bolt than what was on there, so I had to leave the old rusty ones.

Special thanks to my friend Denis for helping me weld my spring and shock mounts on the rear!! By 'helping' I mean he did it for me. Much better looking welds than I would have managed.

The rear parking brake isn't hooked up because I need longer cables. If anyone has any tips on where to get them, please let me know. From what I've read, you really need them hooked up and adjusted right for the brakes to work properly. Right now they are squishy and weird, but there could be other factors.

But.... I'm stoked with the new stance, love the wheels. The pics makes it look taller in the front, but that's just my driveway. I think its a nice balance between an aggressive look without being all huge. The new gearing really peps it up. Haven't tried it on the highway yet though due to the brake issue.

FYI - the measurements from hub to fender lip were all 22-23" before the lift. Afterward they are all 25-26", It will likely settle a bit. So the Tuff Country 2.5" lift does deliver the advertised lift. Ride is firm, but not harsh, just as I wanted.

Ordered a new master cylinder and prop valve from Pirate Jack which will hopefully get the brakes working properly after the rear disc conversion. They were super nice and helpful BTW.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

I'm just astounded how much work a ManNamedJed gets done in one day!
Seriously though you've done a lot of great work on your Burban. If mine was a K model it would look very much as yours does.
Tuned in for more!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #3
ManNamedJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I'm just astounded how much work a ManNamedJed gets done in one day!
Well it was a lot of work to post all these pics and copy/paste all the notes....

Seriously its been tough as its too tall and long for my dinky two car garage. Working in the driveway sucks. That and apparently its not cool to be running a grinder or a welder with little kids underfoot.

My plan was to go with a NV4500, but now I'm considering just adding a Ranger Torque Splitter. It goes in front of your 4 spd and has direct and overdrive. So you get your overdrive gear, and can split other gears. Plus its alot cheaper, and would be cool to have more sticks!

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...etainer-index/
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Well it was a lot of work to post all these pics and copy/paste all the notes....

Seriously its been tough as its too tall and long for my dinky two car garage. Working in the driveway sucks. That and apparently its not cool to be running a grinder or a welder with little kids underfoot.

My plan was to go with a NV4500, but now I'm considering just adding a Ranger Torque Splitter. It goes in front of your 4 spd and has direct and overdrive. So you get your overdrive gear, and can split other gears. Plus its alot cheaper, and would be cool to have more sticks!

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...etainer-index/
I too have been looking at getting a Ranger spliter for different project. The only negative feedback I have found is that they can be noisy.

As much as I don't like working under the truck in the driveway all I have to do is think back to my days doing repairs on logging equipment in the woods and it all seems pretty good. The problem was using my buddies body shop for the paint and body work. It sure didn't take long to get spoiled using a two post lift.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
ManNamedJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
Kinda bummed after reading this. I just bought the tuff country 2 inch softride. I was sold on the premise that it’s a 4-6 hour job with no mods necessary. No moving perches no driveshaft mods. I hope mine goes better than yours because I’m no welder. Might buy you axles too
This was only necessary because I also swapped in an 14 bolt full floater from a 'squarebody' truck. If you are just putting them on your existing axle, you won't have to do any of that.

The biggest obstacle for you will be the rusty bolts. The kit comes with new spring bolts, so save yourself a headache and just cut yours out. A 7" grinder makes pretty short work of them.

Come by an check out those axles. Got tires and wheels you might be interested in too.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
ManNamedJed

Got my disc/disc master cylinder and prop valve today and got them installed. Didn't do a very involved bleed and the brakes are already better. I'll do a pressure bleed this weekend I expect them to be really good then.

However, during the test drive I got it up to 50 or so and found I have quite a driveline vibration. So either I set the axle angle wrong, or they didn't do a very good job on my driveshaft. Any bets on what it will be?

I have a few sets of angle shims from when I lifted my Cherokee, so hopefully I'll be able to tune it in if its not too far off.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #7
ManNamedJed

Is no one seeing my pics except for the last one? Tried to show this thread at a friends house and no pics. Log on at home and I see the pics. Went to check my gallery and the album I put all these in is gone ??
Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
locrwln

Quote:
Is no one seeing my pics except for the last one? Tried to show this thread at a friends house and no pics. Log on at home and I see the pics. Went to check my gallery and the album I put all these in is gone ??
All of the pics are showing up for me.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Just checked and I can see them.
The Drive-in photo is making me want to head over to Newberg and catch a show at the HW99 Drive-in. Now if they would just show something I want to see.