The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #51
Boog
laying low

Re: Perfect night for a run

When it's been suggested I should run or work out my standard reply has always been you go ahead and do that if it makes you feel good, I'll pass thank you.
I suggest you can get too much exercise and are actually wearing out your joints. Once they are wrecked, it's over for many. I've never had a weight problem and have no interest in building muscles. And with age and the normal aches and pains that come with it I sure don't need to add any more to it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #52
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
When it's been suggested I should run or work out my standard reply has always been you go ahead and do that if it makes you feel good, I'll pass thank you.
I suggest you can get too much exercise and are actually wearing out your joints. Once they are wrecked, it's over for many. I've never had a weight problem and have no interest in building muscles. And with age and the normal aches and pains that come with it I sure don't need to add any more to it.
I agree, any exercise can be over done.
I had plantar fasciitis about 10 years ago from running a lot, for me.
I really never stretched or worked on form and mechanics.
I’ve been more focused on using good form and not over doing my runs lately.
As I get older I hope I’m getting wiser.
Running doesn’t appeal to everyone but, I really enjoy it.

I got my first morning run in this year,today. 0:900. Technically it’s still morning...I’m working on it.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #53
truckster

I've been pretty fortunate. I don't have problems with my feet or my hips. I almost had to stop running because a dislocated toe during my Iraq deployment never healed right and the joint is all gone now, but a foot doctor recommended I change to Altra running shoes and use a carbon fiber insert, and now it doesn't hurt at all. My only problem is with the titanium parts in my back, but that's going to hurt anyway, so I don't let it bother me.

I had a co-worker years ago who believed that you're only born with so many heartbeats, and once you use them up you die.

For me running is all about overcoming my own weakness. I don't do it to compete with anyone else.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #54
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I've been pretty fortunate. I don't have problems with my feet or my hips. I almost had to stop running because a dislocated toe during my Iraq deployment never healed right and the joint is all gone now, but a foot doctor recommended I change to Altra running shoes and use a carbon fiber insert, and now it doesn't hurt at all. My only problem is with the titanium parts in my back, but that's going to hurt anyway, so I don't let it bother me.

I had a co-worker years ago who believed that you're only born with so many heartbeats, and once you use them up you die.

For me running is all about overcoming my own weakness. I don't do it to compete with anyone else.
I guess I should discard my excuses...I’m feeling like a lightweight.
I’ve never run in anything but NB shoes. I’ve been thinking it’s time to change brands. I’ve read about the Hoka One One. The ones with the carbon plate in the sole.
Is that what the Altra’s have? Which ones do you have?
Old 04-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #55
truckster

I'm running in the Altra Torin. I started off in Nikes, but developed really bad shin splints. I changed to New Balance, and those got rid of my shin splints, but then I developed the foot problem. The Altras have a really wide toe box, which is really good for me because I have snowshoes for feet (11 1/2E). They're also zero drop, which means the heel is the same height as the ball of the foot. The carbon fiber insert is one I got at a local orthotic store. It goes from the midfoot to the big toe, and just keeps that toe from flexing. It took a few tries to get it in the right place, but now I forget they're in there. I wondered if these shoes really made a difference until I accidentally grabbed my NB shoes one morning. The difference was stark.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #56
truckster

This morning seemed like a pretty good morning for a run. It was 45 degrees, beautiful clear skies, and no wind. I got out at about 4:15 and looked up to see the ISS crossing the sky and Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars putting on a show. I stretched and felt pretty loose and thought it would be a good day to try for a PR. So I took off and set myself a nice pace.

I had just passed the one-mile mark when I passed a guy who was running with his dog. I thought that was no problem, since he was on the sidewalk on the right side of the road and I was on the asphalt on the left side of the road. I was probably 200 yards past him when I heard the dog take off. He was coming fast. I thought, "OK, he'll probably just check me out and keep going." Nope, he ran straight for my legs. He hit me full speed from the right rear, and there was no way I was going to avoid going down. I got in three or four stumbling steps before I transitioned into a nice combat roll. I popped up and got into a fighting stance because the dog had made its turn and was coming back towards me. The owner was calling it and asked me if I was OK. I said I was fine and took off. I had a little road rash on my hand and the side of my knee, but the worst part was that my back, which had been loose up to that point, had tied itself in knots. So it turned out not to be such a great day for a run. In fact, I skipped my last big hill, so I only got in 6.7 today... I'm a little frustrated.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #57
Boog
laying low

And no bites?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #58
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
And no bites?
No bites. I'm not sure what kind of dog it was, but it hit me like an overgrown bowling ball.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #59
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Man that really stinks. Probably no consolation but, I would like to have the tenacity that you have.
I’ve been bit by dogs when working. I always tell them to put the dogs up. When they bite me I’m upset with the customer not the dog.

I hope you recover quickly.
I gotta have inspiration.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 04-20-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Stupid spell check
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #60
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
No bites. I'm not sure what kind of dog it was, but it hit me like an overgrown bowling ball.
I put a can of wasp spray in the water bottle holder on my bicycle for that reason.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #61
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I put a can of wasp spray in the water bottle holder on my bicycle for that reason.
I've only had a dog come after me once before. This morning's incident made me think maybe I should carry one of my small pistols or at least some bear spray.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #62
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I carried pepper spray when I was a meter reader. I had to go in backyards and dogs attacked me every day. It was routine. Just part of the job.

Watch that stuff in the wind. I've had it blow back in my face before. It's not fun having a dog coming after you and being blinded at the same time.

In all my years on that job I was only bitten once. By a tiny Chihuahua. It was so small that I ignored it and it got my ankle. It actually didn't really bite me. Just put a tiny hole in my sock.
The lady that owned it freaked out. I think that she thought I was going to sue her.
I told her to relax. I had plenty of socks. And I would be embarrassed if they guys at the office found out that that little sucker got me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #63
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Got my first “real” morning run in. 06:15 just a little over 4 miles.
“More pt”
I order a pair of Altra’s, Torin 4. Should have them next week sometime.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #64
truckster

Well done. Welcome to the morning side of things. I was a little stiff this morning, but I went the full distance.

I think you'll really like your Altras. You'll have to let me know.

What kind of GPS do you use? I'm using a Garmin 235. My wife bought me a Garmin Fenix Sapphire for Christmas, but I don't really need a GPS that can tell me where the nearest Starbucks is, and I couldn't see paying $600 for a watch that weighs twice what my previous one did. The 235 gives me the data I want - in addition to GPS data, I get speed, time, heart rate, cadence, and stride information. That gives me enough data that I can figure out where I need to focus in order to improve.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #65
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I carried pepper spray when I was a meter reader. I had to go in backyards and dogs attacked me every day. It was routine. Just part of the job.

Watch that stuff in the wind. I've had it blow back in my face before. It's not fun having a dog coming after you and being blinded at the same time.

In all my years on that job I was only bitten once. By a tiny Chihuahua. It was so small that I ignored it and it got my ankle. It actually didn't really bite me. Just put a tiny hole in my sock.
The lady that owned it freaked out. I think that she thought I was going to sue her.
I told her to relax. I had plenty of socks. And I would be embarrassed if they guys at the office found out that that little sucker got me.
The only dog that's ever managed to bite me was a little Yorkie. I was dating a girl who had one at the time. I'm sitting in a kitchen chair and this little mutt comes up under the table and bites my leg. I never even saw it coming.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #66
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I dont use a gps. I’ve thought about getting something but just never have. The park is a 3/4 mile lap. The trail, I go by city blocks and time I look at my phone when I begin and end my run.
This year I’m going to switch up the way I’ve been running in the past.

Glad you made you run today.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #67
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Got in another morning run. 2.6 miles.
I beat the rain. 55*
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #68
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Got in another morning run. 2.6 miles.
I beat the rain. 55*
I get tired just reading that. Although I did go for a run this morning.

To the toilet...Sorry no pic's. Nobody wants to see that.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #69
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I get tired just reading that. Although I did go for a run this morning.

To the toilet...Sorry no pic's. Nobody wants to see that.
You are correct.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #70
truckster

I got in another run this morning. It was a bit breezy and 45 degrees. That makes 29.6 miles for the week. I would have passed 30 if it hadn't been for that stupid dog on Monday. Still, I should hit my 100 for the month pretty easily next week. The weather looks like it's going to be great.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #71
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I pretty much have the trail to myself in the mornings. The dog walkers don’t show up til daylight around here... small town.

I told my wife that I was wanting to do a half marathon this fall. I’m slowly working towards that. Maybe get a couple of 5ks an a 10k this summer.
That’s if things get back to “normal”.

I thought I’d be wrecked for my job if I ran in the morning. I’m finding that I like the mornings better. Same amount of tired either way.
My yard is getting neglected.,,can’t find time to mow.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Got my rides today. I thought my NB were light, but these shoes are super light. I’m liking the toe box. I’m either hitting the trail tonight or first thing in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #73
truckster

That's great. I'm really interested to hear how you like running in them.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #74
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I got 4.2 miles in on the the new shoes this morning. 6:07am at 60*. Very light, I can feel the trail more but, that’s not a bad thing. Shoes were comfortable. Room for my toes and a little snug on top. No regrets.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 04-28-2020 at 08:41 AM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #75
truckster

I'm glad you like them. I put in another 7.6 this morning - I'm at 98 for the month and 378 for the year. The weather's been getting better - 52 degrees this morning.