The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #126
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Perfect night for a run

You can’t fly a kite in those kinds of winds.
I like 46* but not gale winds and rain.
We are supposed get some winds Wednesday.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #127
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I just did sort of a tempo run. Making progress. I’m shooting to get my mile pace down to 8.30. Got some running to do.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #128
truckster

I've been a little frustrated. I seem to have hit a plateau at around 9:00. I need to do some speed work, but with the stupid goal I set, that might have to wait a while.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #129
kingsolver72
10/30/19

You are consistently hitting more miles than I am and I don’t have any serious hills.
I need to find some hills to run so I can have some variety. I’m starting to find the weak areas in my running. It’s fun trying sort it all out when I’m seeing gains, albeit small gains.
I seam to be more focused than I was 10 years ago. It may have to do with the fact that I don’t have a running partner.
Today I pushed myself just a little bit harder. Still trying not to get crazy.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #130
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Ok, got my week started off with 9.25 miles this morning. 70*. Light wind and I seemed to be in shade a good portion of the run. If I can stay consistent til fall I may consider myself to be a runner again.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #131
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Been getting my long runs in on Sunday mornings before church. The last couple of sundays I’ve logged 9 miles. Today I ran a different route... I found some hills. My first 5 miles my pace was at 9.00 minute miles. At mile 6 I was struggling but the last mile was by far the hardest. My pace at the start is too fast for these kinds of distance at this point.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #132
truckster

You're making me look bad. .
Old 06-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #133
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I’m pretty sure that’s not true. I do like the watch. It’s be a good tool.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #134
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Longest run of the year. I need to figure out a hydration system for my long runs.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #135
truckster

That's an impressive run. I can't help you out with hydration systems. I wear a Camelbak when I hike, but not when I run.

June hasn't been a very good running month for me. I'll finish with a little over 75 miles. I volunteered to teach summer school, and it really messed with my schedule. Since I was already going to be there half a day teaching US Government, the principal asked if I would teach Earth Science as well. I said why not. It turned out to be a lot of extra work, because there wasn't a summer school curriculum built for it, so I was up every night until 10:30 or 11:00 building curriculum for the next day. July should be better.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #136
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Some of my motivation has come because of you. I do my morning runs because you said you get up early and run. That one change for me has helped me stay consistent with my routine. Your advice with the watch and shoes has also been a running multiplayer.
It wouldn’t be hard to convince me that you have been a positive influence in a lot of people’s lives in your daily life.

As far as the water thing, if I stay relatively close to the park I can get a drink from the one of the fountains there. I don’t really want to carry water with me at this point.
Anything under 6 miles isn’t an issue.
This is probably where I should thank you.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #137
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Some of my motivation has come because of you. I do my morning runs because you said you get up early and run. That one change for me has helped me stay consistent with my routine. Your advice with the watch and shoes has also been a running multiplayer.
It wouldn’t be hard to convince me that you have been a positive influence in a lot of people’s lives in your daily life.

As far as the water thing, if I stay relatively close to the park I can get a drink from the one of the fountains there. I don’t really want to carry water with me at this point.
Anything under 6 miles isn’t an issue.
This is probably where I should thank you.
That's very kind of you. I try to help others wherever I can. God has been very good to me. I'm just trying to pass it along.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #138
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Ok I’m going to try to quit posting so much for a while but, this morning I got pretty close to my goal as far as minutes per mile. It’s happening sooner than I thought. I’m shooting for consistently hitting 8.30 minute miles.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #139
davischevy

Go ahead and keep us informed. Who knows, you might motivate one of us. Really, it could happen.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #140
Boog
laying low

Motivation comes from numerous places.
My dad was never into fitness, etc until his heart attack at 55. 40+ year smoker. After the ha and 5 bypasses he stopped smoking cold turkey and began to exercise. He walked the treadmill and road a stationery bike every day. They took usable veins from both his legs for the bypasses so he experienced weak legs afterward. He said if he missed just one day of exercise it took him 3 to 4 days to catch back up to feeling like before. He bike rode the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 trips to the Cali coast over his remaining years. He also attributed his routine to extending his life almost 30 years. He outlived his surgeon who at the time said the bypasses would buy dad maybe 10 years.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #141
truckster

That's impressive, and your drive and consistency are very motivational. By all means, keep posting.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #142
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Ok, thanks fellas. I figured I was boring everyone.
My time this morning has improved.

I ran a 51.08 10k back in 2009. I’m getting closer to my old times.

I signed up for a half marathon. Kansas Rails to Trails Extravaganza October 24.
The race starts about a mile from my place.
I’m really wanting to do the Billy Mills 10k in Lawrence Ks. in November.

Its been about 9 years since I’ve done an organized race.

I started training ju jitsu again back in January. But the that didn’t last long because the dojo was shut down.
The two things in life I thought I’d do til the day I pass.
If life gets back to normal I’m definitely going to focus on keep “rolling” part of my life.
Attached Images

Last edited by kingsolver72; 07-05-2020 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Auto correct spelling and inattention
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #143
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Like I said way back in this thread I'm not a runner. But a lot of what you said about age and health got me to thinking about my age and health. So I weaned myself off of the soda and candy I was eating at break and lunch time during work. Next I cut out all sugar and processed foods completely. I also cut out all grains and bad oils.

My diet consisted of berries and cherries, good veggies (no sugary veggies like corn) and eggs and meat. I did eat a little dairy, whole milk and hard cheeses for instance.

I fasted between 12 and 15 hours between my last meal of the day to my first. No calorie counting. No worrying about animal fats I was eating or cooking with.

When I started I had a heck of a time buttoning my 501's and I was on the first notch of my belt (barely). Basically I was tired, achy and felt like crap most of the time.

I'm down 30 lbs from 243 to 213. I need new pants and a new belt and I feel a ton better. For the last month-ish I let myself eat some of the things I cut out. I'm holding steady at my weight, but weirdly I don't feel as good. So I'm starting back up to the more strict, but actually very enjoyable way of eating. I would love to see if I could get in to the 180's ... That would be crazy since I haven't been down there since my early 20's, almost 40 years ago.

BTW while I'm not running, I find (using my Iphones health meter thingy) I'm averaging about 20,000 steps a day, often hauling stuff about. I have walked almost 25,000 steps several times, that's in the eight plus mile range.

So thanks for the inspiration and making me think about getting a little bit healthier =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #144
72 tigger

Good job CG on the diet stuff, it will definitely pay off down the road
Kirk
72 tigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #145
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Like I said way back in this thread I'm not a runner. But a lot of what you said about age and health got me to thinking about my age and health. So I weaned myself off of the soda and candy I was eating at break and lunch time during work. Next I cut out all sugar and processed foods completely. I also cut out all grains and bad oils.

My diet consisted of berries and cherries, good veggies (no sugary veggies like corn) and eggs and meat. I did eat a little dairy, whole milk and hard cheeses for instance.

I fasted between 12 and 15 hours between my last meal of the day to my first. No calorie counting. No worrying about animal fats I was eating or cooking with.

When I started I had a heck of a time buttoning my 501's and I was on the first notch of my belt (barely). Basically I was tired, achy and felt like crap most of the time.

I'm down 30 lbs from 243 to 213. I need new pants and a new belt and I feel a ton better. For the last month-ish I let myself eat some of the things I cut out. I'm holding steady at my weight, but weirdly I don't feel as good. So I'm starting back up to the more strict, but actually very enjoyable way of eating. I would love to see if I could get in to the 180's ... That would be crazy since I haven't been down there since my early 20's, almost 40 years ago.

BTW while I'm not running, I find (using my Iphones health meter thingy) I'm averaging about 20,000 steps a day, often hauling stuff about. I have walked almost 25,000 steps several times, that's in the eight plus mile range.

So thanks for the inspiration and making me think about getting a little bit healthier =)
I like reading this kind of stuff.
The thing about being inspired is that for me that’s the first step. Doing something is not so easy and I’m glad.

Honestly, Truckster is one that got me thinking about getting serious about my health and passion for running again and posting here on the site.

Adversity is a good thing. I’m inspired by the people that have physical hardships and press on. They train their mind to overcome adversity.

I’m glad that you were inspired but, you’re doing all stuff that is beneficial for your health. I’m betting spending time with your grandson and granddaughter is a big motivator.

I’m going to start riding a bike again soon, I hope. I was never a serious cyclist. Never wore a helmet. I’m not convinced that a plastic/styrofoam aerodynamic hole filled hat would protect any surviving brain cells left in my noggin.

My brother gave me a bicycle a little over a decade ago. I have a good story about that and will start a different thread on that subject. I have it being worked on and I’m excited to get it back.
It’s a story of how I inspired him and how he has inspired me.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #146
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I never really plan my runs before hand. I just wing it..this morning about a mile or so into my run I decided I’d go further south on to the trail where it is crushed limestone since that’s where the 1/2 marathon that I signed up for will be. I’m thinking I got time to slowly get acclimated to the trail.
I got in 7 total miles with a couple of miles south of town on the trail.
Easy pace. Lots of shade.
The portion I ran is not as closed in with trees, the further south is somewhat more dense canopy.
The photo shows the start of the marathon, but it’s a picture of the trail heading back north.

I think I’ll start planning a strategy and ease into it.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #147
truckster

I've been enjoying the view lately... At 4:30, there's a beautiful arc consisting of Jupiter, Saturn, a nearly-full moon, Mars lagging far behind, and Venus rising above the mountains. It's the most beautiful string of jewels I've ever seen.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #148
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
I’m going to start riding a bike again soon, I hope. I was never a serious cyclist. Never wore a helmet. I’m not convinced that a plastic/styrofoam aerodynamic hole filled hat would protect any surviving brain cells left in my noggin.
If you ride regularly, wear a helmet. Eventually that aerodynamic hole filled hat very well could be the difference between walking away and being a vegetable.

Going down with the hat is far safer than without and it happens so fast you don't really have time to steer your head away from the hard bits that are rising up to meet you.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #149
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
If you ride regularly, wear a helmet. Eventually that aerodynamic hole filled hat very well could be the difference between walking away and being a vegetable.

Going down with the hat is far safer than without and it happens so fast you don't really have time to steer your head away from the hard bits that are rising up to meet you.

-klb
It’s funny but, driving to the park/trail this morning as I approached the trail (I have to cross over the trail to get to the parking lot at the park) I look to my right and at the last second look to my left and saw an older guy on a bicycle with a helmet. I stopped in plenty of time and I wasn’t driving very fast. I thought had I hit him the helmet wouldn’t have done much good.

I know most folks mean well when they suggest wearing a helmet.
Thanks for not saying that it’s stupid to not wear a helmet.

I know 4 people in the last couple of years that were hit by a car/truck. None of them were wearing helmets.
Last September my friends hit a truck goin 55mph on their motorcycle. My buddies wife sustained worse injuries. I drove them to church and grocery store for quite some time. Neither one had a helmet on. She may have had a concussion...I can’t remember. They both had some extremely serious injuries.

I’ve read automobile accidents account for the most head injuries and #2 are pedestrians. Cyclists are on down the list.
I’ve also read that it’s safer to not wear a helmet.
I think the Netherlands and Denmark have the most cyclists and most don’t wear helmets.

I think helmets could help in some situations and not so much in most cases.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 07-07-2020 at 08:32 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #150
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I've been enjoying the view lately... At 4:30, there's a beautiful arc consisting of Jupiter, Saturn, a nearly-full moon, Mars lagging far behind, and Venus rising above the mountains. It's the most beautiful string of jewels I've ever seen.
Man I’m going to have to start getting up earlier. It’s already light by the time I hit the trail.
I don’t know the constellations but, that’s sounds pretty cool.