The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #26
prairewolf

Re: Skunks!!

true story of about a month ago, I saw a skunk walking in circles on black top road, with a small white cup stuck over its nose and eyes. I tried to get a picture but with traffic it did not work. I drove by again awhile later and skunk was dead on side of road. Maybe that's it, puts some jelly in the bottom of a white cup and watch the skunk do hot laps for awhile.,
for about 10 winters I worked in a Fur House. never handled skunks though. must have been the smell.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I got the clear picture on this. Six skunks with jars stuck on their heads walking in circles in my yard

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I was talking to my neighbor, with the poorly managed garbage who loves behind my place, and he let me know just before dark they saw the skunk family. Where he saw them first was near his garbage and he said they went up along the fence and crossed under near my building, where I saw them. He doesn't put it together that they live at my place because they eat at his place and how do you tell your neighbor their trash is causing you problems anyway? He and his family are living with his mother in law and she is the one who wouldn't take kindly to the slightest hint at her garbage being a nuisance.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I was talking to my neighbor, with the poorly managed garbage who loves behind my place, and he let me know just before dark they saw the skunk family. Where he saw them first was near his garbage and he said they went up along the fence and crossed under near my building, where I saw them. He doesn't put it together that they live at my place because they eat at his place and how do you tell your neighbor their trash is causing you problems anyway? He and his family are living with his mother in law and she is the one who wouldn't take kindly to the slightest hint at her garbage being a nuisance.
Some people. If I thought that my garbage was in some way causing a problem, I'd be all over the solution. Now, if some of the neighbors around here had a clue...even after being told. I'm not shy about telling people that they screwed up. It's kind of interesting that the ones needing told most are the ones most offended.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #30
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
It isn’t easy living at peace with everyone in a chaotic world.
I’m thinking you’re doing a good job.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #31
1976gmc20

I guess you can be glad it's just skunks and not bears
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #32
Boog
laying low

I can imagine they probably have a rat problem too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I can imagine they probably have a rat problem too.
Yep. I set spring traps for them where the trash is on the other side of the fence. The fence is a solid plank privacy fence. Their trash is on the other side and I closed in under the upstairs porch of my barn.

At this point the local bears seem to have enough habitat that they don't get sighted near people's homes. Good thing, too, because they like trash as much as any other varmint.

Tim

Old 07-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #34
Boog
laying low

Then there's,

Last edited by special-K; 07-07-2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Took the 's' out of 'https'
Old 07-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #35
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My brother in law who was years older than me / I was 11 years old at the time and he was like 22 ..he cut the aroma bag out of a skunk and told me he would give me a 50 cent piece if I would take it and throw it at a tree ,,and smash the skunk sac ,, I took him up on in in a heart beat (think this around 1955,and 50 cents was big money)

I went up to that tree and stood about 5-6 from it and let it go.. I turned and started back and it hit me ,, I lost my breakfast and lunch and maybe supper .. and still did not get the 50 cents as he said he told me I did it wrong,, or somthing like that..
Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #36
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

A little off topic but kind of the same.

I rented an apartment with a pool. a gym and one of those steam rooms. It was nice
So I would work out and sit in the steam room. And sweat it out.

Once I made the mistake of going with my crazy roommate. And he was drunk as a skunk and he pissed on the steaming rocks in this steam room.

It smelled so bad. I ran so fast out of there. I still gag thinking about it.

Lesson learned. Don't work out with drunks.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #37
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Life-threatening experiences from our youth. We used to explore some caves in the hills close to our house. Now, being po', we didn't have flashlights or batteries to power them, for that matter. So, when a parent wasn't looking, we'd pinch a highway flare to light the place up. Lucky I ain't dead from that. One time, we were leaving one of the caves (which we had to crawl into and out of, as the opening was small). I urinated on the flare to put it out, which of course didn't work, but what did I know at age 10 or so? The stench was unbelievable.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #38
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Since this thread is headed off the rails anyway, many years ago I was riding around the woods & back roads with a friend. Beer was being enjoyed, of course. We stopped to get rid of some beer. His Ford had exhaust pipes exiting just ahead of the back tires. For some reason, he directed his stream onto the hot exhaust pipe. Luckily, the stench went right up in his face instead of towards me. Pretty sure he never did that again.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Some people. If I thought that my garbage was in some way causing a problem, I'd be all over the solution. Now, if some of the neighbors around here had a clue...even after being told. I'm not shy about telling people that they screwed up. It's kind of interesting that the ones needing told most are the ones most offended.
I have no problem shooting people straight. That may have been reflected in a post or two of mine in the past (). But this situation warrants playing it gingerly. It's not worth making my fencing into the Berlin Wall. I did mix it into the conversation that they like to go after trash and that I'm making sure I don't leave anything out for them. Might have gone over his head, might have gotten the message loud & clear. But it wasn't delivered to appear I was talking about his trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Now there is a good ole feel good song if there ever was one
Name:  8298595_G.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  44.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
My brother in law who was years older than me / I was 11 years old at the time and he was like 22 ..he cut the aroma bag out of a skunk and told me he would give me a 50 cent piece if I would take it and throw it at a tree ,,and smash the skunk sac ,, I took him up on in in a heart beat (think this around 1955,and 50 cents was big money)

I went up to that tree and stood about 5-6 from it and let it go.. I turned and started back and it hit me ,, I lost my breakfast and lunch and maybe supper .. and still did not get the 50 cents as he said he told me I did it wrong,, or somthing like that..
Did he go into politics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
A little off topic but kind of the same.

I rented an apartment with a pool. a gym and one of those steam rooms. It was nice
So I would work out and sit in the steam room. And sweat it out.

Once I made the mistake of going with my crazy roommate. And he was drunk as a skunk and he pissed on the steaming rocks in this steam room.

It smelled so bad. I ran so fast out of there. I still gag thinking about it.

Lesson learned. Don't work out with drunks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Life-threatening experiences from our youth. We used to explore some caves in the hills close to our house. Now, being po', we didn't have flashlights or batteries to power them, for that matter. So, when a parent wasn't looking, we'd pinch a highway flare to light the place up. Lucky I ain't dead from that. One time, we were leaving one of the caves (which we had to crawl into and out of, as the opening was small). I urinated on the flare to put it out, which of course didn't work, but what did I know at age 10 or so? The stench was unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Since this thread is headed off the rails anyway, many years ago I was riding around the woods & back roads with a friend. Beer was being enjoyed, of course. We stopped to get rid of some beer. His Ford had exhaust pipes exiting just ahead of the back tires. For some reason, he directed his stream onto the hot exhaust pipe. Luckily, the stench went right up in his face instead of towards me. Pretty sure he never did that again.
"Smells like hot piss!" comes from ventures such as these

Tim

Old 07-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #40
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Some of you that may have spent time in Southern California might remember this.

The duck farm that was right next to the 605 freeway. You couldn't miss it. Or at least you couldn't miss the smell. That place smelled like a bad fart in the car.

On a hot day if you were going 60 mph you would speed up to 90 mph, hold your breath and drive really fast to pass it.

There was another stretch of road that I drove to go to work. There were always dead skunks on the road in that spot. It was another case of put the pedal to the metal and hold your breath.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

What, no skunk crossing signs? I thought you lived in California

It's funny I can drive down the road and smell a skunk or other nasty thing and go "Yuk!", but when they are poisoning the weeds I smell that and think the air smells fresher than fresh. I think skunk sting is the better one to be breathing. I always hold my breath when I smell that poison

Tim

Old 07-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #42
blazer2007

we are getting lots of rats where people have compost piles and they don,t maintain it. Of course the city back a couple years were promoting have compost to lessen the waste at the garbage dump.People think they can put food waste etc. in a pile and have fresh dirt in a month or two and it doesn,t so they just leave it
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #43
kipps

Quote:
It's funny I can drive down the road and smell a skunk or other nasty thing and go "Yuk!", but when they are poisoning the weeds I smell that and think the air smells fresher than fresh. I think skunk sting is the better one to be breathing. I always hold my breath when I smell that poison
Funny too, as I don't mind the smell of skunk. It's a perfectly normal smell, and not worth getting excited over.

Of course, it does smell much different if you're the one who gets sprayed directly! That happened once. A skunk was caught in a live trap, and I wasn't paying attention. He got my forehead, but missed my eyes.

I spent an hour in the shower, and after that, the smell wasn't objectionable by anyone else. I still smelled it each time I showered for the next week. I think the oils had soaked into my skin, and volatilized each time I showered.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #44
Boog
laying low

It does leave a lasting impression...

Old 07-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #45
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I guess you can be glad it's just skunks and not bears
Skunks concern me more than bears. That said, your Montana bears can be big & scary. We just have the cute friendly little black bears that run away from you. Usually.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #46
Killer Bee

we found this cute little cub looking for a fishing hole in kodiak..

I followed him all the way until he came up the bank on our side and I dove into the car LoL

Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #47
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post

we found this cute little cub looking for a fishing hole in kodiak..

I followed him all the way until he came up the bank on our side and I dove into the car LoL

You derailed it for a moment. I have been sprayed right in the face. Talk about pain! Goodness Sakes. Because it chased me I had to have two days of rabies shots. Thank goodness I killed it and just had to have the shot until the test results came back negative.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 07-07-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #48
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
You derailed it for a moment. I have been sprayed right in the face. Talk about pain! Goodness Sakes. Because it chased me I had to have two days of rabies shots. Thank goodness I killed it and just had to have the shot until the test results came back negative.
Man that’s not good. Did you kill it because of potential rabies or were you really mad?
Old 07-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #49
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Man that’s not good. Did you kill it because of potential rabies or were you really mad?
Maybe both....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Maybe both....
Probably killed it because he was really mad, then thought about the rabies and felt like a hero

I see holes torn in some trash bags from the skunks. The problem is so obvious. I wish they did see a bear. Maybe then they'd figure out that garbage kept outside in a plastic bag is putting out a buffet for a half dozen or more critters. Hopefully someone will get sprayed. The best thing that could happen is she could call the county on me for maintaining a nuisance by doing nothing about the skunks. I so invite that!!

Tim