The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Overhauled it and it didn't work

So, I crawled under it today and took it out ..called the transmission machanic and he is swarmed with business.. maybe two weeks before he can open it up and take a look at it.

The oldest son and I rebuilt it with a lot of new parts ,,but something did not go together right I guess and the car has just been sitting for a year or better now..

I am getting to old to do this anymore at 76 ,,must of crawled under and out 50 times ... but.. I bet some of you have done the same thing and hurt just as much ..

Any of you want to guess whats wrong with it by my discription of it's actions ? I hope to will find out after taking it to the machanic
1st and 2nd it shifts good with out any noises.. 3rd and 4th rattles like a throw out bearing .. (brand new throw out bearing ,new pilot bearing ,new bearings on main shaft... never got to 5th ??

Name:  IMG_1960.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1961.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  56.4 KB

It is a T-5 out of a 87 S-10 with machanical Speedpmeter
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Overhauled it and it didn't work

No idea about your problem, but that's a beautiful car.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Getter-Done

.. 3rd and 4th rattles like a throw out bearing .

I think one of the (Parts) on this shaft is Broken.

Do you have a (Parts manual) on this transmission?

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
GOPAPA

Getter-Done

I had for a guide to over haul this tranny a guy from this forum and other forums by the name of Jay and his handle froum name is Lugnutz ,,he is a master of putting together the T-5 transmissions .. he has all the instructions in video ..and very helpful ,,but,, my son decided to take the advice of a barefooted guy walking on greasy floor on a U-Tube and follow his way of putting all the parts together after me buying new bearings and main shaft ,, plus new pilot bearing ,new throw out bearing ,ect ect ..
I am a guy who lays out all the parts in order when taking things apart and then putting them back togeather in order.. this did not happen,,
So , after a year or so ,,I have decided to take care of it and take it to a shop ,,,,I found machanic locally here where I live and while talking to the guy about if he worked on the T-5 trannies ,,turned toward is work bench and there was a World Class T-5

So Next Monday it is going into his shop

For any of you that work on transmissions ,,I will keep you up to date on what the guy finds for the problem with this T-5.. by the way my son and I are all good ,,we just have a different way of doing things..
Old 07-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Good luck with that. I hope you are grabbing gears in that Chevy before long.

I have an M22 that looks all good after going through but pops out of 4th that I need to fix before it goes in my '67. I got lucky a couple years ago and got a one year only vending spot at Carlisle next to, not only an expert on the muscle 4spds but also, a really nice guy. he lives close enough that he went home every evening. He brought me the part he was sure I needed, explained, made drawings, wrote instructions down, and if all else fails gave me his phone number. He even told me why that was a common problem. I still haven't gotten to it, but I sure lucked out meeting him.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Good luck with that. I hope you are grabbing gears in that Chevy before long.

I have an M22 that looks all good after going through but pops out of 4th that I need to fix before it goes in my '67. I got lucky a couple years ago and got a one year only vending spot at Carlisle next to, not only an expert on the muscle 4spds but also, a really nice guy. he lives close enough that he went home every evening. He brought me the part he was sure I needed, explained, made drawings, wrote instructions down, and if all else fails gave me his phone number. He even told me why that was a common problem. I still haven't gotten to it, but I sure lucked out meeting him.
Ah ! the old The Rock Crusher.. if my old car had one of them instead to the 4 speed Saginaw I would of maybe fixed it rather than go for this T-5 ..but thats hind sight .. what I wanted was a shifter that didnt hit my from seat, and if I had of had a M22 , I would of had my gear shift heated and bent forward.. I also wanted a synchronized tranny too.. so this is what I got , you have a must wanted tranny there Tim . good guy you met too.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Well, this project has been a project so long, I'm having thoughts of going a different route. The vibe is era hot truck, so nothing on it that didn't exist in the early-'70s, when the truck was a few year old used truck. But since that M22 is worth enough coin to buy a new transmission with O/D, and I would like to run the truck long distances in it since it, I'm considering doing that. Other than not being able to say the truck has an M22 to top off the cool era stuff list, I'd be better off. I don't plan on being hard on the truck to be needing a rock crusher, so... wait, did I just say that?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Check your input shaft length.

I don't know about GM stuff, but I did a full disassembled case rebuild on a Ford T5 using the "Hanlon" videos. Ford used 2 different input shaft lengths. About 5/8" difference. If GM did something similar the nose of your input shaft might barely be inside of the bearing in the flywheel. Also check the nose cone on the input shaft vs the input shaft bearing, apparently there were different sizes of those too.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Check your input shaft length.

I don't know about GM stuff, but I did a full disassembled case rebuild on a Ford T5 using the "Hanlon" videos. Ford used 2 different input shaft lengths. About 5/8" difference. If GM did something similar the nose of your input shaft might barely be inside of the bearing in the flywheel. Also check the nose cone on the input shaft vs the input shaft bearing, apparently there were different sizes of those too.
This is good advice and I would check it out,,but,, this guy I speek of (Lugnutz) is the guy who guided me into getting a jeep intake shaft with the right amount of spines to fit a 235 Chevy 6 cylinger engine. I do not think he is wrong about the fit up into the flywheel..
Glad you replied all the same as you or another could easily hit on why I am having problems.. Mustangs have what is called World Class T-5's ,,is what you are talking about? Thx by the way
Old 07-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck

Mustangs have both the world class and non-world class versions. Non-WC were used on the 4 banger cars and won't hold up to much V8 power.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 07-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
GOPAPA

Quote:
Mustangs have both the world class and non-world class versions. Non-WC were used on the 4 banger cars and won't hold up to much V8 power.
Didnt know that .. You for sure up on these T-5's..What I wanted was a T-5 with a mechanical speedo ,plus the shifter up front and the World Class T-5 would not work for what I needed,

I found me a 1987 S-10 on CL and made a deal for the Tranny and the guy sold the pickup for junk prices ,, we both made out the sale.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #12
burnin oil

being its in 3-4 gears only I am guessing that its something to do with the hub assembly. Possibly a broken or unseated clip letting the dogs rattle around.

Used manual parts can be finicky. I reworked a 5 spd VW trans for the wife's jetta once. I had to turn around and pull it back apart because it was shifting like crap. Disassembled the hub slider and reorient it. Shifting was back to normal. The splines had worn and wanted to be back in one position to slid nicely.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
being its in 3-4 gears only I am guessing that its something to do with the hub assembly. Possibly a broken or unseated clip letting the dogs rattle around.

Used manual parts can be finicky. I reworked a 5 spd VW trans for the wife's jetta once. I had to turn around and pull it back apart because it was shifting like crap. Disassembled the hub slider and reorient it. Shifting was back to normal. The splines had worn and wanted to be back in one position to slid nicely.
I ask the guy who will be working on the transmision to tell me whats wrong with it ,,or if nothing is wrong with it ,, I am paying him either way.. and I am going to be there when he tears it down to wittness it all .. I assume he will know just by the way it shifts on the bench? I hope it will get fixed as I want to sell the car ,, and it needs a working transmission to get the best price .
Old 07-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #14
GOPAPA

I just got home from watching the Machanic tear dowm my T-5 transmission

He found nothing wrong with it ,, he said my son and I did a good job replacing the correct parts on it to over haul it ..all parts are in order and he will not be charging me the $500 dollars ,,so I will have the whole car taken to him to put the tranny back in and the find out what the noise is that the car was making ..

There comes a time when one has to just bite the bullet and let the person who is the most knowlelgeable fix the problem.. I am not disappointed with what the son and I done ,,but I am tired of guessing about the what the problem is ,,and I need to get it running to sell it when I do need to sell it.. which might be sooner rather than later..
Old 07-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck

Sorry, he couldn't find anything.

This might be a really dumb question., but is there any chance the transmission body or sifter are rubbing anywhere on the body?

On my mustang, the trans was really close to the PS of the tunnel hole. Had clearance when sitting, but when driving, the load on the trans shifted it to the right slightly and it would rub on the tunnel hole. I ended up taking another 1/2" off the hole on that side.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 07-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
GOPAPA

Quote:
Sorry, he couldn't find anything.

This might be a really dumb question., but is there any chance the transmission body or sifter are rubbing anywhere on the body?

On my mustang, the trans was really close to the PS of the tunnel hole. Had clearance when sitting, but when driving, the load on the trans shifted it to the right slightly and it would rub on the tunnel hole. I ended up taking another 1/2" off the hole on that side.
acually,, I am glad the transmission was all good.. makes my son and I happy knowing it wasn't our mistake asembling it after we overhauled it.

I only know that it sounded like a throw out bearing no good ,,but in 3rd gear and 4th gear it didn't make the noise.. I will be taking it in about a long week or so ,,we'll see? first I got to insure it and get it hauled to the shop.. then hope to drive it home after the machanic finds the problem ..