The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Erik V

Resurrection of a Family Friend

Hello all, sorry I'm still kind of a lurker. I have my car-oriented fingers in too many cookie jars so to speak.

So a little recap: Dad special ordered this 1971 Jimmy new back in the day, for the sole purpose of offroad racing and trail running. Those were beyond daily driver status, and tow vehicle. For about 10 years of its life, "Jimmy" as we've always referred to "him" as, lived as a 2wd low rider tow vehicle while his original frame was used as a racetruck with a custom short box pickup body. Then back to 4wd and more racing/trail running. Then Dad got a hinkering for a Jeep and built a mild 52 Willys CJ2A(?). That was the summer of 89, and Jimmy sat out behind the barn in the weather until 1995 when we got him together again for my Eagle Scout award prize/1st car/HS cruiser. That lasted a couple years until when going to college I couldnt afford to fuel him, he once again got relagated to behind the barn, but this time a shed had been built first. That was summer of 97 (according the expiration date on the license plate tags). I've built a 72 2wd GMC since then, only to have it suck the fuel down too and get sold, a couple VW bugs, and of course my beloved Dodge Neons (2 of them), and last but not least-my 2002 WRX Wagon. Now I still have both neons, the Subaru, and one VW Baja Bug-but I need a truck for that occasional heavy duty haul, and when summer returns I'll need a fun tow vehicle since the Subaru cant really haul more than about a ton.

Which brings me to my point. Starting Black Friday Dad and I tore into the barn and the shed, to unburry the Jimmy. Parked along side it for the last nearly 15 years is a 73 factory 2wd low rider Blazer. Had to get that one out first, in order to free the Jimmy of his decade+ tomb of spider webs and dustbunnies. The red low rider will be cleaned up and sold when the weather gets better most likely-Dad has no desire to keep holding onto it. The Jimmy is now happily resting in my garage alongside one of my Neons. During this weekend's rescure project we found that the top heater hose has no place to hook up, the shift linkage is gone (went to my 72 2wd pickup build years ago), moisture has rotted out one of the turbo mufflers, years of neglect led to moisture pitting rust all over the top surfaces of the body, but the soft top survived just fine, as did the now "vintage" 33/12.5 mud tires I got for HS graduation. The new at the time Baby Moons didnt fare so well, but oh well-least of my worries.

I'm going to get the Jimmy roadworthy again as I can over the next few weeks, hoping to drive him to the extended family Christmas shindig about 30 miles away. So far its only a few nitty gritty things before I can see if the old 350 will fire up. Then shift linkage to see if he's going to move on his own power, then test the brakes to see what componants need replaced. I was so excited when he cleared my garage door frame by about 2", so now I know he doesnt have to sit outside in the weather.

So you guys like pics huh? Yeah-Dad thought I was crazy as I snapped away shot after shot. Now both the only new cars Dad and I have ever bought are hanging out side by side in my garage, and I'm pleased as punch that things are looking up for me. Its been rough the past few years with personal life changes and losing loved ones. I'm ready to devote some time and money to my toys again.

So as I replace the missing shift linkage, deal with missing engine pieces, and basically get the old truck back up and running again, I'll update this post and answer whatever questions the masses come up with. Thanks for reading.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote