The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
yukon ratrod

Re: 82 SWB GMC cruiser with an attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybale View Post
Ok I need to vent a little hear so bear with me. Last Wednesday night I was working on the getting the “bolt in” front suspension setup installed after I had to cut on the frame to get it in place. And I found that the motor mounts would not line up. I was trying to install them the way the pictures show them in the threads I found on here that deal with the wide-ride. I have had to use the photos here because the http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/n...2#instructions from Nolimit really do not pertain to this style truck and are pretty much useless. The mounts would not line up if you tried to bolt them in place on the top of the frame rail. They were pitched way to far forward and were not sitting all the way on the frame. I double checked everything I could, but since the instructions have ZERO reference measurements, I was having trouble figuring out what the problem was. It seemed the tabs on the crossmember might have been in the wrong location. So I called Nolimit just before they closed to ask for assistance. I explained what was happening and sent them some pictures via text message and Rob told me he would get back to me the next day (Thursday) with measurements. On Saturday afternoon I called again and after a little prodding I got Rob to measure out what everything should be on his jig. Sunday after I got home from work (I have to work every third weekend these days) my daughter and I went out to the shop and I measured out the crossmember and the frame. And low and behold the frame is taller than what the setup is designed for. While looking things over I noticed the upper control arm mount was also pretty close to the top of the frame, and since frame was too tall I figured I had better check that as well. And sure enough the control arm would not get close the recommended starting setting of the adjustor straight down, without hitting the frame. On Monday morning I sent Rob an email telling him what I had found. And nothing, I still have not heard a word from them. Not a “we’re sorry”, not a “how can we help”, and certainly not a “how can we make this right”. Now don’t get me wrong I know what needs to be done to fix it or at least make the system work at this point. It just bugs me that they advertise this system as a “bolt in” for our trucks and it is anything but. My frame is a plain-Jane half ton SWB frame, not anything new or odd. But I am now going to have to cut down the rail height to get this wide ride in. I almost boxed the whole mess up and sent it back. Then I got to thinking that if I did that I will have wasted all the time I already but into this and if I post and show what I do then maybe the next guy that gets sold this “bolt in” will have something to reference. As for Rob and Nolimit, there were a lot of parts I was looking at getting from them still but now they will not see another penny from me.
Im the owner of a custom shop in the far north in Canada. I always seem to have these problems and decided to try no limit. I had made a order, ordering a chassis pack which included the front suspension kit, rear 4 link kit, motor mounts and trans mount along with a brake booster and master cylinder. I had also ordered a gas tank and never did recieve it. my customer had delt with them and I was informed from no limit that my customer was quite rude and that they would never do business with him again!!!! I learned really quickly from no limit that your just a number. I had called no limit to deal with the missing gas tank and make right with my customers actions and it was my fault that it the tank wasn't sent??? which was bs because my order was first done with e-mail and the tank was my number one concern. fast forward a week later and I called to get the gas tank ordered and Robs wife had absolutely no idea who I even was even after a 20 minute rant about my rude customer???? so needless to say I'm tired of no customer service in general these days and this company had one chance to do business with me and decided to not deal with the issues, so I guess they must not need the business. there's my rant! lol the worst part is that by the time the shipping and broker fees are paid this was almost a 10,000 dollar order which is alot of money regardless of who you are
yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #27
haybale

I got my brakes for the rear end in the other day and was able to get out in the shop last night and get them on. the rear end is looking cool. Now I just have to get the rest of the truck looking that good. The car in the background is a buddy's, and now that the frames about to roll again it has to go. I need the area it's in bad.
Name:  S7301936.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  S7301937.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  S7301938.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  S7301939.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  48.3 KB
haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Cool. I cant wait to see how this will turn out
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
haybale

Ok it's only been 8 or 9 months but I thought I should do an update anyway. I have been working on the truck slowly. I cut boxing plates out of 12 gauge sheet metal and tacked them in place after welding nuts to the inside of the frame or all the suspension. They are tacked for now incase they need modification further down the road.

Name:  boxing plates 2.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  boxing plates 5.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  45.0 KB

I also made the crossmembers for my new fuel cell. I went with a 20 gallon Aeromotive aluminum cell and pump. The original rear crossmember had to go so I could put the tank farther back in the frame. Since I don't have access to a press brake I welded a piece of strap that was cut to the correct width between two pieces of angle iron to form the rear crossmember. The allthread in the picture was there to keep the frame set while I cut out the old crossmember and made the new one. And yes it is needed, the frame springs out about 3/8ths of an inch when I take out the crossmember now. so having those in place until all the holes where drilled makes sure the frame goes back correctly.
Name:  20140319_155459.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  43.4 KB

I then mocked the tank in and made the front crossmember out of a piece of 1x1x1/8th angle iron and a couple 1/8th in tabs. I was able to use existing holes in the frame to mount it.
Name:  fuel tank .jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  35.3 KB

I have begun making the straps that will hold the tank in place and welded the brackets to the front cross member that will hole the adjusters. I am still working on finishing that. You might notice the pieces of rubber in between the tank and crossmembers. It is 1/16th of an inch and when done will cave the crossmembers and the straps.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
haybale

When I took the cab off the frame one of the cab mount bolts hade to be cut off. I fixed the passenger front cab mount by cutting out the floor to get the nut out, then placing the nut in a vice and heating it with a torch till the remainder of the bolt screwed out easily. Then reinstalling the nut and welding the floor back in.
Name:  cab mounnt repair 1.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  cab mount repair 2.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  29.2 KB

I then was able to set the cab in place so I could check engine and trans clearance.
Name:  engine and cab 2.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  36.0 KB

The trans hit the cab even with the slider mounts in the forward most position so I decided to cut the trans tunnel a little more to get the engine back farther.
Name:  trans tunnel cut.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  28.8 KB

As it sits the engine is 2in to the rear on the sliders and the engine and trans is sitting with a -3degree angle the match the pinions +3degree angle. and the transmission has about 3/8ths clearance to the cab.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #31
haybale

After the motor was in I installed the trans 3 in drop crossmember from Trans Dapt with an energy suspension mount. I also cut some 1/4in plates to mount between the frame and the mounting flanges to allow for easier install and removes. Sorry no pictures of that for some reason. I then set up my steering column and linkage using the parts recommended by nolimit. I used a Ididit column with a double D shaft and joints from Flaming river. I had to notch the frame and boxing plate and it is very close to the A arm. I may have to grind the A arm a little for clearance when I get the alignment set on the truck.
Name:  steering linkage.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  41.0 KB

I also set the bed in place to check the fitment of the fuel cell and had to modify the rear cross brace under the bed as it was directly over the pump and filler.
Name:  bed feul tank mod 3.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  31.0 KB

And that is where am at now. I am getting ready to start hanging the front sheet metal back on so I can get the wheel clearance issues worked out then start mocking up the engine including a turbo.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #32
haybale

I figured I would give a couple more pics that show stance and progress.
Name:  engine and cab.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  engine cab and bed.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  steering column.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 11-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #33
Hankster

Sweet truck! I just read the whole thread, i really like it!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
bh86

awesome work and progress
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #35
Country705

Very nice I just went through and read your build so far!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #36
DBLSPRT68

Very nice build. You got some skillz bud! Will look forward for the next update!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #37
franky69c10
chevy runs deep

Wow its coming out nice love the work

1969 c10 swb soon 2 b on the road...

My LWB is a SWB now
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498241
franky69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
haybale

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen I really do appreciate them. I finished the fuel tank straps the other day but don't know if I like them or not. They fit the corners good and tight but I was thinking that a frame around the bottom might work better. I don't know what I'll do, it's something I'm thinking on.

Name:  tank strap1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  tank strap2 .jpg
Views: 578
Size:  22.4 KB
Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #39
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Really cool build!