The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Anyone use a whole floor panel?

Have a guy who's going to help me do rust and he suggested doing the whole floor. Said after labor that it was faster and easier with a whole new floor. He's done a bunch and he gets paid so I trust his opinions but I wonder if they fit worth a crap? He's used to old ford and early hot rod stuff. Anybody use a whole new floor stamping for 60-66? How's it fit? Would you recommend them? My trucks bad from rocker in about 2 inches of floor an from firewall to back cab.thers a few other bad spots in the floor at random too. Thanks charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Anyone use a whole floor panel?

That sounds like a lot of extra work and a LOT of extra expense if all you need are the outer floor/inner rockers and the outer rockers. How are the cab mounts, lower A pillars, lower B pillars and the kick panels?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
Pinchecharlie

I thought the same thing. The outer rockers inner rockers and about 2_3 inches of floor from firewall to cab corners are gone.driver's footwells bad and a pretty big hole/and thin metal on the passenger side a couple of small holes around here and there. The cab to door mounts are all half gone. Hind-sight, buy a better truck! Good news is the lmc floor comes with the cross braces and the cab mounts installed for about the same price as some other floors. We added up the patch panels around 400 something but he thinks the whole floor will be twice as fast? If it was me doing it I would patch it together with sheet.metal but I just don't have a lot of time these days and he's giving me a great price for it and paint and letting me do all the blasting and prep/prime so I can save some money Lol! Floor was 600 free shippi g with his order and you can do a lot with that but he swears he'll have it in in a few hours! I told him all the bad fitting crap was his problem and his time and he didn't seem to worried. He just did a 55 truck and said it was way easier? Probably over kill but he's my friend and he usually doesn't work on my stuff and he's really good and busy so I guess we'll See? Wish I had time to piece it together but if I do it will be there for months. I gotta have the truck there stripped and ready to blast by the end April so here we go again. Next time I am going g to buy a finished vehicle lol. Here's some pics wish I had your skills capt! It would be do e all ready with scraps lying around. I re.eber now why I dread paint and body.heres car I've been doing for 5 years!! I built all the panels and basically had to rebuild 80% of all the sheet metal front back floor roof you name it. I actually love do I g it but I am slow and the works not show quality and so.e I do 3,4 times and it still sucks lol. I bet I have 40 hours in the sail and back panel on that turd.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Let us know how it goes with changing the entire floor.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
pimpston65

i bought the full floorpan for girls burb, only because the all the supports were rusted away. yet on my 65 i just cut out the rot and replaced with fresh metal, the supports were fine on that truck.
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i bought the full floorpan for girls burb, only because the all the supports were rusted away. yet on my 65 i just cut out the rot and replaced with fresh metal, the supports were fine on that truck.
Oh wow a suburban floor that has to be a job! Seems like a lot of work? How did it go in? Iam. Feelng a bit dumb about not fixing it myself but my friend has a new baby and I think he needs some baby money so a good cause . But a 1k dollar floorr on a 2500 dollar truck is pretty dumb. Oh well! Hopefully it doesn't turn I to a nightmare where we use the floor as patch panels or worse get so mad it ends up in the dumpster. I think I need a 12 step program for my illness. Or I should hire my self out as a deconstruction expert because I can tear a truck/car apart in no time flat...but...I go silly and broke and have teouble getting it back together!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
GMC-YA68

I was in your position, but ended up figuring out I’d be better off finding another cab.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Oh wow a suburban floor that has to be a job! Seems like a lot of work? How did it go in? Iam. Feelng a bit dumb about not fixing it myself but my friend has a new baby and I think he needs some baby money so a good cause . But a 1k dollar floorr on a 2500 dollar truck is pretty dumb. Oh well! Hopefully it doesn't turn I to a nightmare where we use the floor as patch panels or worse get so mad it ends up in the dumpster. I think I need a 12 step program for my illness. Or I should hire my self out as a deconstruction expert because I can tear a truck/car apart in no time flat...but...I go silly and broke and have teouble getting it back together!
well i did weight my options, on my burb build "finally come" i kinda show the plan in detail and it will be alot of work. i do think with my skills, knowledge and love for this era truck i will make a very high quality outcome.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
rvrfoot

I got all the parts i needed. The inter rockers has some floor pan on it. I think it will good.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #10
Bigd18

Most everyone that I've ever discussed replacing a whole floor panel stated that it better be braced heavily and that you would be lucky to get it installed without having issues. You would be better off replacing in sections.
Bigd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Robert Haas

What is the big deal. Easy enough to do.

Name:  IMG_4908.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5089.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5110.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5088.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  20180307_111251.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  58.0 KB
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
wow, im totally stealing the internal brace!!! im just lifting mine about 6" off the frame. you should take it to shows thats a work of art!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
61K10

I would say it's a big deal if doing it by yourself. Nice fixtures also.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
I would say it's a big deal if doing it by yourself. Nice fixtures also.
There is only two of us, we are old men with no experience. Sometimes being ignorant gives us false confidence.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
61K10

well you have one more set of hands than i do. Old? I've always said you're only as young as you feel. As that being said being close to 69 I'am feeling it lol. Looks like you do nice work with no experience, keep up the good work. Aren't these tks fun!

take care---------Kimble

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
There is only two of us, we are old men with no experience. Sometimes being ignorant gives us false confidence.
thats me too! i allways say "how hard can it be?"

then i get ms a@# kicked lol!

funny how we all brace the poop out of everything. that 49 of mine was a maze of bracing and it still was floopsy moopsy when i cut the roof off.
so...when i asked my buddy how he wanted me to brace it for him he said dont do any! he said he braced and welded the doors on the 55 for the floor and it was a nightmare for him? ended up cutting it all free and doing it
I think hes crazy!
said he would lift the cab off the frame
fit the new floor on the frame
lower the cab over the new floor about 6 inches high fit the doors
cut out the old floor out and start fitting?
i told him it was not how everyone else did it and that the truck was going to lose its shape and he was going to get his a#$ kicked and have to find me a new cab all for no pay! he said that he didnt think trucks moved enough for the trouble
i think hes crazed and that its going to remind him how bad he wants to retire and how his son is right and just wants to do collision insurance work.
well see, floors in the mail. i personally think its fun to do over the top stuff and apreciate the hard work your doing to your cab!!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
Robert Haas

I think the bracing on any de-floor-ectomy is important. One side benefit of ours was it gave us a nice structure to mount the rotisserie to. I prefer to swing the cab on its side axis as it gives better access to the firewall where we plan on building a new one from scratch.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
jdl71

Does anyone make a complete floor for these truck? Rocker to rocker? I can't remember seeing one. I think that's what your friend is thinking of, like buying an entire floor for a muscle car and replacing it all in one piece.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
thats me too! i allways say "how hard can it be?"

then i get ms a@# kicked lol!

funny how we all brace the poop out of everything. that 49 of mine was a maze of bracing and it still was floopsy moopsy when i cut the roof off.
so...when i asked my buddy how he wanted me to brace it for him he said dont do any! he said he braced and welded the doors on the 55 for the floor and it was a nightmare for him? ended up cutting it all free and doing it
I think hes crazy!
said he would lift the cab off the frame
fit the new floor on the frame
lower the cab over the new floor about 6 inches high fit the doors
cut out the old floor out and start fitting?
i told him it was not how everyone else did it and that the truck was going to lose its shape and he was going to get his a#$ kicked and have to find me a new cab all for no pay! he said that he didnt think trucks moved enough for the trouble
i think hes crazed and that its going to remind him how bad he wants to retire and how his son is right and just wants to do collision insurance work.
well see, floors in the mail. i personally think its fun to do over the top stuff and apreciate the hard work your doing to your cab!!!!
This is xactly how we did a 57 Chevy. Lifted body off frame w/ a two post lift, rolled chassis out, cut old floor out, set new floor on chassis, roll under body & let it down & start welding. Didn't brace anything. Doors still shut better than ever.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is Exactly what is being discussed here......an aftermarket compete replacement cab floor. There is a pic of one in Robert Haas' post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
Does anyone make a complete floor for these truck? Rocker to rocker? I can't remember seeing one. I think that's what your friend is thinking of, like buying an entire floor for a muscle car and replacing it all in one piece.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #21
Bigd18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
LMC shows a complete floor in their catalog.
Bigd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #22
rvrfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd18 View Post
lmc shows a complete floor in their catalog.
brothers has them as well.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That is Exactly what is being discussed here......an aftermarket compete replacement cab floor. There is a pic of one in Robert Haas' post
That's what I thought, but I've apparently never seen them in the catalogs before or if I did, didn't notice.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote