The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #251
old yelr

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Looking good!
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:13 AM   #252
Troy Sr

That paint looks fantastic!!! I love the satin look!!! Job well done! This is why I subscribed to your thread!!!! ps I love the inline!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #253
joliver33

Very nice!
joliver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #254
solidaxel

You are doing a excellent job!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #255
paintman

Almost done! Just have the top of the hood to do in the Mango Tango. I think the running boards will be black.

Still kicking around the idea of painting the grill and windshield surround in gloss white. In a perfect world, I would chrome them but I don't feel like dropping $1,000.

[/URL]

It's amazing how much different this color looks in different angles of light. Sometimes it looks like burnt copper, other times it almost looks like an orangey gold. I'm diggin it!

[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #256
old yelr

Looks nice!!
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #257
Johns66

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Almost done! Just have the top of the hood to do in the Mango Tango. I think the running boards will be black.

Still kicking around the idea of painting the grill and windshield surround in gloss white. In a perfect world, I would chrome them but I don't feel like dropping $1,000.

[/URL]

It's amazing how much different this color looks in different angles of light. Sometimes it looks like burnt copper, other times it almost looks like an orangey gold. I'm diggin it!

[/URL]
Wow, okay I have been reading this the last few days and am inspired.

Tonight I bought a used Iwata paint rig with the regulator for $45.

Did not figure I needed to spend a bunch of money on a brand new gun. I also felt like a used Iwata would be better than a cheap gun in trying to get good results.

Thanks for sharing.
Johns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #258
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns66 View Post
Wow, okay I have been reading this the last few days and am inspired.

Tonight I bought a used Iwata paint rig with the regulator for $45.

Did not figure I needed to spend a bunch of money on a brand new gun. I also felt like a used Iwata would be better than a cheap gun in trying to get good results.

Thanks for sharing.
John, you should be fine just take your time and do a few of the less important parts first, until you get the hang of it. I did all my parts (prime and paint) with a cheap Harbor Freight purple spray gun kit I bought for $65. It came with a regular spray gun and a touch up gun. I used the big gun for all the painting. I just used the bigger 1.8 tip for the priming and then used a 1.4 for the color and clear. I will say this......if your spraying in your garage you will have some dust in your paint. I don't see any way to avoid it.

I don't see how a rank amateur would spray any better using a high priced gun.
I'm sure there are some body shop snobs that would look at my truck and pick apart the paint job, but I could care less. I think it looks just fine for what I am doing.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #259
paintman

Small update..........spent the last few days buttoning up the underside before I throw the cab back on. I got the front side of my pipes mounted to the tranny cross member via some slick clamps with bearings in them. Also got my E-brake brackets figured out. I tried to use the ones supplied from Lokar but just couldn't figure out a good way to mount them. Drivers side was getting a little busy so I ended up making my own brackets and mounted them to the passenger side of the tranny and tail shaft.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Got my glass packs, 17" Brockman Mellowtones. I just have to decide what goes behind them. Either tailpipes over the rear and out the back or........I think I might cheap out for now and do some turn downs just in front of the rear.

[/URL]

I made up a small bracket and mounted it to the old original pulley holes. This will act as another mounting point for the pipes and guides for the E-brake cables. If you look close I was able to re-use (with one hell of a twist), the 2 original cable keepers mounted to the underside of the frame cross member.

[/URL]
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #260
joliver33

What! So you could be telling the truth when you say the truck is broke down because your muffler bearing went out.... LOL. But really everything is looking great.
joliver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #261
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliver33 View Post
What! So you could be telling the truth when you say the truck is broke down because your muffler bearing went out.... LOL. But really everything is looking great.
I guess I should have called it a him joint.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #262
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I guess I should have called it a him joint.
heim joint
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #263
Advanced Design

Looking really good! Nice clean brake line bends and routing too.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #264
paintman

Still plugin along with all the little stuff I can get done on the cab. It's nice having it up on the stand, a lot easier to work on things. Because I have a lot of back trouble and can't stay bent over and contorted for long periods of time,
I decided to mount my fuse box under the seat.

I didn't want to pop on a $900 flip up seat from Glide, so I built a slide out tray to mount the box to. Still trying to pick a harness I think I am leaning towards a Ron Francis unit. It's a lot easier working with wood instead of metal. At least for me. Mounted a 3/4 piece of plywood inside the seat riser. I then mounted a drawer glide to it and sexed up a little tray that slides in and out.

Open......
[/URL]

Closed......
[/URL]

Also decided to close all the holes on the dash and start fresh. Mainly because whoever cut the last holes either used a chain saw or bazooka. For those of you who have been following along.....I lost my father awhile back thanks to cigarettes. So just to piss him off, I closed up the ash tray!
[/URL]
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #265
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

Lookin good.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #266
paintman

Couple other things the Paintman has been futzin around with is the supply lines for the heated manifold. After much banter over on inliners.org I decided to do it like this.............
water supply from block
[/URL]
Water return to Tstat housing
[/URL]
[/URL]

Started doing some of the ground wires. I have one ground (2 guage) running from each side of the motor to spuds i welded to the motor perches. And another one from the tranny (0 gauge) to the frame.
[/URL]
Kind of hard to see it here but it bolts to the block just to the left of the Alt bracket runs under to the motor perch.
[/URL]
And then one big honking ground wire from the tranny to another spud welded to the frame.
[/URL]

Next on the list is hitting the inside of the cab with some insulation. I decided to go with FatMat. Nice thing about being a painter is you also have all the tools for hanging paper. It's great working on my papering table with a nice long straight edge for cutting. Finally something I can do on this truck that I actually know what I am doing! Yea me!
[/URL]
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #267
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looks good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #268
paintman

While we are shooting the breeze here, some of you may notice an issue I have with my Alt bracket. As you can see in the pic I have used up all the adjustment I have on the slider and still have a loose belt. I have tried using the next size smaller belt which gives me enough room to tighten the belt but makes the power steering belt then rub the bolt on the Alt pulley. So I think I have only 2 options.

1. try and find someone with a machine shop who can extend the channel on the bracket.
2. Use the smaller belt and put a double groove pulley on the Alt and let the power steering belt ride on that pulley as well.
3. Put a couple of 1" spacers between the block and the Alt bracket thus moving the entire unit out further from the power steering belt.

Anybody got any other ideas???????
[/URL]
Old 11-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #269
wessen

keep it up
love the work you did, its immaculate!!!

starting a 46 for a customer in 2 weeks
Attached Images

wessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #270
egarage

Hey Paintman, Where did you mount your trans. cooler and any pictures of cooler?
egarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #271
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egarage View Post
Hey Paintman, Where did you mount your trans. cooler and any pictures of cooler?
Ask and you shall receive.......
with pics of my shiny new stainless turn downs to finish up the exhaust.
[/URL]

Still kicking around the idea of mounting a second cooler (pancake style) up in front of the radiator.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Old 11-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #272
paintman

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would see this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you need is a bunch of "Rent a Sons" plus an old school buddy and his son!
[/URL]

The best part is my wife gets her side of the garage back
[/URL]

Yup, I think I can live with that.
[/URL]

Nothing left to do now except everything else...................stay tuned.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #273
CURSED GEARS

Looking very good. Looks like if you extend the bolt channel, your alt will hit the bracket. Can you extend the bracket at the mounting bolts a inch or so to gain some more clearance?
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #274
paintman

Ok still pluggin along at this with some updates as to what's been going on. I figured I would try an wrap up the engine bay by doing all the hoses, fuel line etc.
I wanted to have heat in the cab but after looking around on the web for a heater unit that would fit I just couldn't find anything. Vintage Air has a unit that they say is 9 1/4" wide but they don't calculate the width of the unit with the hose fittings on it. So I was thinking with the fittings it would be at least 10" wide. Well I only have about 9 3/4" between the recessed portion of the firewall and the side of the cab, so I had to come up with another plan.

I decided to try an re-use the old heater that came with the truck. That posed all kind of problems because the heater core was no good. I think I wasted the better portion of a week searching the internet trying to find just the right size core that would fit the housing. Frustrating part was when I found a core that would fit, it didn't have the right size, or proper location of the hose bungs. I finally gave up and decide to try and cram an oversized square into a round hole.

Here's the heater as I got it.
[/URL]
Here's the heater nos with the new core. this was the smallest core I could find with the bungs in a location that I like. As you can see I had to hack the side out of the housing to squeeze the core in. I think once I pull it back out for final painting it will look fine tucked up under the dash. Maybe in the waaaay distant future I will just make my own housing that will fit in the tight space I have.
[/URL]
Old 12-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #275
paintman

Ok so here's how the hoses look on the outside. Back when I was young and dumb I used to use braided steel on all the lines on my race car and never had any problems. So now that I am old and stupid I figured why change.
[/URL]
Here's how I have the heater supply tied into the upper housing. For now I have decided to try and pic up my water temp here as I have heard that the inlines give false readings at idle if you have the sensor in the factory location because it is so close to the exhaust port. I also made up a bracket for my coil. This came in handy as i also was able to use the bracket as a means to support the temp sensor housing. (still needs to be cleaned up and painted), but you get the idea.
[/URL]