The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
69_shortbox

4 speed granny gear to 4 speed Muncie

Hey all,
I’ve got a 69 c10 swb fleetside with a 4 speed granny gear, I also have a Muncie m21 that is like to put in the truck and I’m wondering if anyone has done this swap and what it involves? As far as I know I just need to shorten the driveshaft? Thanks in advance
Tyler
Posted via Mobile Device
69_shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
weim55

Re: 4 speed granny gear to 4 speed Muncie

A few issues to take into account :

The input retainers will likely be different dimensions, This is the large round hole in the bell housing that centers the transmission. The aftermarket makes a sleeve that will convert the car Muncie four-speed to the larger truck bell housing hole.

Some of the car 4 speed Muncies Will have the Speedometer output on the passenger side which would need a longer cable to reach.

Car transmissions will not have the two lower holes that mount to the bell housing threaded as on the truck transmission. You’ll have to use a nut and bolt arrangement instead.

You will have to fab up A reverse light switch arrangement.

Probably have to make a drive shaft from scratch. Your original driveshaft will have a slip yoke in the shaft itself that won’t work on the car transmission.

The shifter can be a little tricky, but there are several solutions to clear the bench seat. I did the swap myself about 30 years ago and I used a 55-57 Chevrolet car Hurst shifter and it worked out well. That said depending on the transmission there are different mounting arrangements so not all shifters fit the same .

Other than that it’s pretty much a bolt in. One more thing to consider: if the trans you have is a real M21 ( very unlikely as these are very rare ) this will have a 2.20 first gear which would positively suck to drive in that truck, not a deep enough first gear. More likely you have the more common M 20 Which has a more livable 2.52 first gear.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
69_shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
A few issues to take into account :

The input retainers will likely be different dimensions, This is the large round hole in the bell housing that centers the transmission. The aftermarket makes a sleeve that will convert the car Muncie four-speed to the larger truck bell housing hole.

Some of the car 4 speed Muncies Will have the Speedometer output on the passenger side which would need a longer cable to reach.

Car transmissions will not have the two lower holes that mount to the bell housing threaded as on the truck transmission. You’ll have to use a nut and bolt arrangement instead.

You will have to fab up A reverse light switch arrangement.

Probably have to make a drive shaft from scratch. Your original driveshaft will have a slip yoke in the shaft itself that won’t work on the car transmission.

The shifter can be a little tricky, but there are several solutions to clear the bench seat. I did the swap myself about 30 years ago and I used a 55-57 Chevrolet car Hurst shifter and it worked out well. That said depending on the transmission there are different mounting arrangements so not all shifters fit the same .

Other than that it’s pretty much a bolt in. One more thing to consider: if the trans you have is a real M21 ( very unlikely as these are very rare ) this will have a 2.20 first gear which would positively suck to drive in that truck, not a deep enough first gear. More likely you have the more common M 20 Which has a more livable 2.52 first gear.

Steve weim55 Colorado
It is a real m21 but I have access to an m20 that I’ll use instead! As for some of the other things, the truck was originally a 3 spee collumn shift but someone has converted it to a granny gear 4 speed. By the looks of it, it wasn’t the best job and I’m not 100% sure what I have for a drive shaft etc. It looks like the drive shaft is only in the transmission by about a half inch which doesn’t seem safe to me, but this gives me hope it may be the original 3 speed shaft which should be compatible with a Muncie?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
weim55

The yoke will Be different for the granny 4 speed but the remaining driveshaft could indeed be the original and if that’s the case would work without modification with the proper yoke.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Here's a good video to watch before you buy a rebuilt Muncie M22 off ebay / Craigslist .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyOWKW21I0c

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
69_shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Here's a good video to watch before you buy a rebuilt Muncie M22 off ebay / Craigslist .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyOWKW21I0c
I won’t be buying any muncies! I have 2 that I’ve already had running in cars! No guessing games here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_shortbox View Post
I won’t be buying any muncies! I have 2 that I’ve already had running in cars! No guessing games here
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I read that above , I posted the video for all the other guy's considering using a Muncie 4 speed or upgrading one they bought .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
69_shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Yes, I read that above , I posted the video for all the other guy's considering using a Muncie 4 speed or upgrading one they bought .
My bad! Great information
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #9
69_shortbox

Does anyone happen to know the length of a stock 3speed driveshaft?
Posted via Mobile Device