The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #51
IAFF2407

Re: Overhaulin' - Seattle style

motor is painted and in. I hope to have it running by the end of the weekend. working too many shifts this week. I'll be posting the 425 for sale next week.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #52
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Lookin good! You're makin me want to do this swap to my burb when I finally get around to it!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #53
Hart_Rod

I need you come finish "OverHaulin" mine. I've seemed to have come to a screeching halt......Burb looks great!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #54
Frizzle Fry

Sweet!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #55
pmpski_1

Nice work! I'd love to get a burb someday.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #56
COBALT

Just read this whole thread. Looks like you guys had fun.

I was laid up in the hospital and home sick during that entire time. If not I would have loved to come help. Looks like it's going really well.

As for Cowgirl Coffee...I have a reason to leave the house now.

Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #57
abebummy26

Sweet makes me want to drop a 350 into my safari that would be fun lol.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #58
IAFF2407

engine is in and running, all good so far. For the first time my starter needed the shims. It (starter) gets to hot, although it's new, I don't think it is long for this world. I've been told that a BBC high torque starter will work with shims and maybe need a 30/1000ths taken off the gear. Definitely a warm motor, I've insulated the inside of the cab, depending on the comfort I may insulate the engine firewall as well. Bummer is that the Endura paint is not holding up, talking with them right now.

I had the quadrajet remanned by Jet performance in CA. Only 170 miles so far so no standing starts yet, but I swear I can feel my hair sucking into the carb when the secondaries are wide open. Fastest tank in White Rock

any ideas on what I should do with the brake cylinder? looks bad
Attached Images

Last edited by IAFF2407; 07-31-2008 at 03:41 PM.
IAFF2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #59
Hart_Rod

Where's the burnout pictures?!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #60
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Good job Al. How much room is there between the valve cover and the brake booster?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #61
IAFF2407

Hey CG how r u doing. There is about an inch, no problem getting it in, just loosen some bolts and pull the assembly to one side. I'm trying to get ideas on how to dress up the engine bay more. The master cylinder looks out of place. In case anybody is wondering, yes I reversed the valve covers, the oil cap looks better back there hidden away

I'm trying to take a trip down to cannon Beach Aug. 9th, will try to make the bar-b-que first, maybe stay in Shelton Sat. night. If you make it to the bar-b-que bring your camera and tape measure. Oh yeah, your extra roof rack, travel tank, 67 front clip......
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #62
MickMc

I just found this thread...
I feel terrible, I'm no where as fast as you are at conversions.

I've been slowly working on my 500 conversion. New plumbing, new wiring, new trans coolers, added power steering, then had to add new bucket seats, and a new floor shifter, and am looking for an evaporator set up in the cab since the 500 came with a compressor, added a 94 Saturn condenser, need to buy a dryer and some hard line, added electric fans from a winstar, found a 79 van tilt that still needs to have the shifer removed, picked up a hydro boost that looks like it will somewhat fit, now i need to convert the front to discs and....someone posted the blue 67 with the turn signals between the grill bars, THAT has to be done before I reinstall the grill...ALL I WANTED TO WAS GET RID OF MY 6CYL THAT RAN ON 5 CYLINDERS....NOW ALL I WANT TO DO IS DRIVE MY TRUCK maybe this weekend I'll get one step closer..

Mick

Last edited by MickMc; 07-31-2008 at 11:51 PM.
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #63
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFF2407 View Post
Hey CG how r u doing. There is about an inch, no problem getting it in, just loosen some bolts and pull the assembly to one side. I'm trying to get ideas on how to dress up the engine bay more. The master cylinder looks out of place. In case anybody is wondering, yes I reversed the valve covers, the oil cap looks better back there hidden away

I'm trying to take a trip down to cannon Beach Aug. 9th, will try to make the bar-b-que first, maybe stay in Shelton Sat. night. If you make it to the bar-b-que bring your camera and tape measure. Oh yeah, your extra roof rack, travel tank, 67 front clip......
If I decide to stay with the 500 I have some old caddy script valve covers. They take an adapter though that may raise em too high.

I may have enough stuff to put together an entire 67/68 front clip...not sure if I have a good rad support. Been awhile since Ive checked over my stash.

I do have a roof rack I purchased from a board member...somewhere? I don't think I ever opened the box it came in. I don't remember what kind of shape it was in. I'm not going to use it.

I wont be going to the BBQ. I just haven't been able to get hyped up about going to any shows since Ive had to cancel my Bonneville trip.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #64
MickMc

Re: Overhaulin' - Seattle style July 31st

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFF2407 View Post
more pics, July 31

finally made it down to Livrat's for the caddy instal. was to leave Sunday at 3 pm, but .. starter bit the dust. found one before closing, installed it and was on the road at 5:30. Drove to Olympia and picked up the 425 and was at Mark's at 11:30 pm. started at 9 this morning and had the motor/th400 test fitted 3 trys. Ready to intall them tomorrow morning. I'll replace the 425 with my remanned 500 in august.
How about some info and pictures on the motor mounts.
I had to make my own. Give us some details.

Mick
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #65
pumpkin

any ideas on what I should do with the brake cylinder? looks bad[/QUOTE]

Hydro boost I've put hydro boost on my Blazer and my pu. It cleans thins up, and stops like an sob. Only thing is you might need a stronger back bumper then, White Rock is pretty close to Richmond
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #66
IAFF2407

Hydro boost I've put hydro boost on my Blazer and my pu. It cleans thins up, and stops like an sob. Only thing is you might need a stronger back bumper then, White Rock is pretty close to Richmond

I hear you on that, have you noticed the new trend, all the kids and older ladies are driving scooters now because the cost of gas and insurance. You don't need a motorcycle license for a scooter, only a regular driver's.

we had a call where a 45 year woman was doing 40 with her feet hanging out like outriggers. broke a few bones and vowed never again

can you post a pic of your hydro boost?
thx,
Al.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #67
pumpkin

Will do,,,,,,,, but I have to wait till my wife comes home to put the pics on the puter,,,,,,,,,,I'm illiterate at that stuff.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #68
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Overhaulin' - Seattle style July 31st

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMc View Post
How about some info and pictures on the motor mounts.
I had to make my own. Give us some details.

Mick
I am pretty sure Al used my plans as a guide, and here's what it took to do it in mine.
First of all, here's the site I semi-made for this swap;
http://www.geocities.com/caddyoneton/?200712?200814
It's geo****ties, so it'll only let so many ppl look in an hr. if it goes over, then come back later and finish reading.

Here's a couple photos of my engine stands. They are of the 73 - 87 GM pick up variety, 2 wheel drive, gas engine. They stant a little taller than the 67 - 72 frames, so a bit of a shim was needed to take up some dead space. They had to be placed rather far forward, and the 'flair' for the fuel pump up front on teh passenger framerail had to be bent down.
Then I cut a hole in the center, and placed them on the frame. They ended up right on the tie rod, so I had to trim them.
I think I ended up hitting them with a plazma cutter and making the hole a bit bigger, but you can see where I joined the two holes together.
I also had to unbolt the motor mount from the engine and place it down into the tower, then bolt it back to the engine. Simple step that made life easier. Al may have improved on this.
On the shot where the tower is bolted to the frame, you can see where I had to trim it up a bit.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #69
IAFF2407

Thx Andy, your thread is exactly what Mark and I used. We did cut out (plasma) for the "guide" bump on the bracket. The thread was a great help.

Al.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #70
pumpkin

Heres some pics
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #71
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

Exclamation Re: Overhaulin' - Seattle style

These build threads are so cool ! Back in the 70's we were in need of another truck and found a cherry Black '67 F_rd F150 at a give away price because it was an old 300 6cyl (broke crank) with 3spd on the column, and few people wanted them in a day when Automatics and big V8s with A/C were the thing to have.
We ditched the 6 cyl. for a less than 20,000 mile 472 cid Caddy that had been totaled by our buddy at the local State Farm Insurance Co. after a granny pulled her 20' DeVille out in front of somebody and got T-boned. We found a B.P.O.-C. Bell housing and Pontiac Fly-wheel and bolted it all together. We did have to elongate the top two bolt holes on the front of the high geared F-150 three speed to get it to bolt to the B.P.O.-C. bell house and we built motor stands because they were like a foot from the 6 Cyl. towers.
It was a Monster !!! It would do 55 mph at like 1200 rpms you could be going 35 in first gear and white smoke the tires going into second and then you could stay in second to over 70 mph. It was the only 3 spd truck I ever saw that you could go from 55 to a 120 in like 4 seconds. On top of all that you could get 21-25 MPG if you stayed out of the big Rochester.
So I give this 500 cid SUBDVLL a 10+ I wish I could afford a Gear Vender to go behind my 400TH in my GMC 1-TON !!! NIce job really looks nice !!!!
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #72
Longhorn Man

the 67 - 72 ford F-100 was a beautiful truck. Total bummer they rusted out faster than a 73 - 87 GM square body, they simply don't exist around here. I almost bought a few when I was getting my first truck.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #73
MickMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
Heres some pics
What is that Hydro boost out of, year make and model.

Help a guy out.

Mick

Last edited by MickMc; 08-04-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #74
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
the 67 - 72 ford F-100 was a beautiful truck. Total bummer they rusted out faster than a 73 - 87 GM square body, they simply don't exist around here. I almost bought a few when I was getting my first truck.
Those things are all over the place out here....Road trip?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #75
Longhorn Man

Lol!